Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build regs March 2014

Options
  • 05-12-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Can anyone enlighten me on the new build regs as I am very stressed as I probably financially will have to go direct labour but try get it done and built in 8 months is a stretch!!
    the new regs are coming out in March 14 yet, you have to have your house built within a small time frame of 8 months if I start in January.

Anyone good tradesmen for direct labour in Midlands and also any good cheap builders?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,648 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

1. Can anyone enlighten me on the new build regs as I am very stressed as I probably financially will have to go direct labour but try get it done and built in 8 months is a stretch!!
    the new regs are coming out in March 14 yet,

2. you have to have your house built within a small time frame of 8 months if I start in January.

Anyone good tradesmen for direct labour in Midlands and also any good cheap builders?

1. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056921361

2. whats this 8 months you are referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 coastcooler

Hi sydthebeat

engineer states that I need to have my house completed by August 2014 thats where 8 months comes from. so start in January and completed by August 2014 in order to avoid these new regs and haveing to pay out thousands for guys to sign off on stuff.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,648 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hi sydthebeat

engineer states that I need to have my house completed by August 2014 thats where 8 months comes from. so start in January and completed by August 2014 in order to avoid these new regs and haveing to pay out thousands for guys to sign off on stuff.

this august 2014 date is not one i am aware of.

As far as i am aware, once a commencement notice has been sent into your local authority before 1st march 2014 and you commence work on site within the requisite time you are not caught by these regs.

by any chance does your planning expire in august 2014?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    this august 2014 date is not one i am aware of.

As far as i am aware, once a commencement notice has been sent into your local authority before 1st march 2014 and you commence work on site within the requisite time you are not caught by these regs.

by any chance does your planning expire in august 2014?

Theres 2 variables I have to consider,
    1 - i have to have commencement notice in to council also site footprint done out and any other works that needs to be done e.g. get site lines, temporary drive way done
    2 - but part 1 above isnt enough, as I have to have my house built by 1st August 2014 also.

No my planning expires in 2017, just got planning in May 2013!!

Dont know if this is correct re have to have built before August 14, even though this is what the engineer has stated to me, only that id heard from a friend about new regs id be clueless, thought eng would have informed me of this 8-(

Also I am find it very hard for either direct labour route for trademen to get back 2 me in relation to prices + also builders (is these people in demand now)?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Dont know if this is correct re have to have built before August 14...

Possibly to do with new Health & Safety Regulations?

They came into effect on August 1st 2013 with a one year 'garce period', i.e. until August 1st 2014, for any existing builds or works where the design process started prior to August 1st 2013.

In theory, even if you have planning permission already, but, your build will go beyond August 1st 2014, you have to appoint a (Health & Safety) Project Supervisor Design Process (PSDP), have a safety file, appoint a Project Supervisor Construction Stage (PSCS).

See here: http://gallery.mailchimp.com/956021ef7d6fca71b412254ca/files/Homeowner_guide.pdf

• Advertisement

I wonder what would be the total cost in getting these professionals then? Are we talking about a couple grand then on top if I can't go direct labour and supposingly one can save anything between 10 + 30k, I know you may say how long is a piece of string?

Advertisement