Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭caew

If people bother to show up early in the morning it shows interest. More importantly was sale agreed within two weeks. If property is not selling in Dublin it has been priced to high simple not because of low demand.

I don't know if you can judge the level of someones interest by the time they attend a viewing.

Convenience is probably a big factor in the time people book viewings for.

Obviously if a house sold in two weeks there was interest by the person who bought it does mean either that there was huge demand, the seller may have been looking a quick sale and did the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,941 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

caew wrote: »
    People looking at houses doesn't automatically mean there is a demand for that house....

No, but lots of people looking at houses means there's a demand for houses - isn't that what's being discussed?

The demand of a specific house doesn't really have anything to do with the overall demand - as you said, there may be no demand for it because of a multitude of reasons. Doesn't mean lots of people don't want to buy houses now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭caew

o1s1n wrote: »
    No, but lots of people looking at houses means there's a demand for houses - isn't that what's being discussed?

The demand of a specific house doesn't really have anything to do with the overall demand - as you said, there may be no demand for it because of a multitude of reasons. Doesn't mean lots of people don't want to buy houses now.

Doesn't mean they do want to buy either. There are is an assumed correlation here.

Personally if I viewed a house and the estate agent told me there was 1000 viewings or 1 viewing it would make no difference to me. Some people may react if they hear there are lots of viewings and see it as a reflection of demand and that is up to you to do so.

I react when I hear of the offers, that is when I know there is a genuine 'demand' for the house, someone has shown their intention to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

In relation to price increases this is what I've read, based on last quarter.

Dublin West prices actually fell, South Co. Dublin saw a tiny increase (less than 1%). The city centre saw increases but this was fueled by increases on properties sub €200,000 so these saw large % increases but not large in terms of € valve.

Supply is an absolute nightmare which is fueling a mini-bubble/dead cat bounce/price stabilisation what ever you want to call it.

I welcome any corrections.

Master of the Universe

Doesn't mean they do want to buy either.

Can we not assume that people who view houses are in the market to buy houses? I know correlation doesn't imply causation as the saying goes, but why else would someone view a house?

And and that, would those viewing houses for reasons other than potentially being in the market to buy a house not be considered a minority?
    Personally if I viewed a house and the estate agent told me there was 1000 viewings or 1 viewing it would make no difference to me. Some people may react if they hear there are lots of viewings and see it as a reflection of demand and that is up to you to do so.

I react when I hear of the offers, that is when I know there is a genuine 'demand' for the house, someone has shown their intention to buy.

I'm not going by what an estate agent told me though, would always take that with a pinch of salt.

I'm going by what I've witnessed at a load of viewings.

All of them were packed with people. Granted, some were probably tyre kicker/rubbernecking types - but you could see there were many genuine parties there.

Another thing which reflected the demand in the area, the speed in which they sold. Quite a volume of the ones I viewed didn't even make it to property websites. Listed and sold within a week or two of going up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I don't know if you can judge the level of someones interest by the time they attend a viewing.

Convenience is probably a big factor in the time people book viewings for.

Obviously if a house sold in two weeks there was interest by the person who bought it does mean either that there was huge demand, the seller may have been looking a quick sale and did the deal.

Your probably right they turned up for the craic !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

is it just me or is there very little added to daft/myhome at the moment?

thought January would be busy time with new sales/stock no?

Most estate agents only opened again on Monday, if supply is to increase this year, then it will be mid Feb imo before that becomes evident - that's normally just before the prime selling season starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I would disagree. Went to a viewing late last year in Dublin 15 there were 13/14 different parties viewing. The demand is there alright. People forget you Dont stop living g because of a recession. People want to have there own place the desire to own is very strong in Ireland.

There's at least two types of demand (I say 'at least', as I'm no economist and am coining the terminology on the fly;)). Aspirational demand and Viable demand.

Aspirational demand refers to what are commonly known as tyre-kickers, Viable demand refers to those walking into the viewing with an approval in principle letter in their back pocket.

Given the number and value of mortgages issued and drawn down over the past year, it's reasonable to assume that a good proportion of viewers are aspirational.

For me, the key factor out there at present is that mortgages are (or were as at the end of Sept) approx 5% of the level they were at at their peak levels in 2006, and even more surprisingly, they are currently running below their levels in 2010, 2011 and 2012.

Below are the figures for the first three quarters of the years in question:

2010 - €3,764M
    2011 - €1,824M
    2012 - €1,637M
    2013 - €1,599M

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

o1s1n wrote: »
    Another thing which reflected the demand in the area, the speed in which they sold. Quite a volume of the ones I viewed didn't even make it to property websites. Listed and sold within a week or two of going up.

Can I ask did you become aware of these properties, the ones that were not listed online etc.

Master of the Universe

Can I ask did you become aware of these properties, the ones that were not listed online etc.

Yeah, by checking in with all the estate agents in Bray every 1-2 weeks and asking was there anything new on the horizon.

You'd be surprised how many just dont make it to being listed online. Ground work is definitely needed.

Its an absolute pain and time consuming - but does pay off. Resulted in Estate agents ringing me about new houses coming up in my desired areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

If people bother to show up early in the morning it shows interest...
    Your probably right they turned up for the craic !!!

Actually I knew a couple of people who used to go to viewings almost as a hobby.
    Yes they had property already and may have been in market for more, but they went to viewings at weekends almost as a day out.
    They saw it as a way of keepig up to speed with the market.
    Granted this was pre bubble economy.
    God knows how they managed when that arrived with all the champagne and
    canapés at all the glam new development showings. :D

Plus you do get to see inside other people's houses if you are that way inclined.

I agree with caew and Glenboy on this.
    It doesn't matter if a 1000 view the house, the key is how many want or are capable of making an offer.

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    Actually I knew a couple of people who used to go to viewings almost as a hobby.
    Yes they had property already and may have been in market for more, but they went to viewings at weekends almost as a day out.
    They saw it as a way of keepig up to speed with the market.
    Granted this was pre bubble economy.
    God knows how they managed when that arrived with all the champagne and
    canapés at all the glam new development showings. :D

Plus you do get to see inside other people's houses if you are that way inclined.

I agree with caew and Glenboy on this.
    It doesn't matter if a 1000 view the house, the key is how many want or are capable of making an offer.

Property is selling in Dublin .. that's demand satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    There's at least two types of demand (I say 'at least', as I'm no economist and am coining the terminology on the fly;)). Aspirational demand and Viable demand.

Aspirational demand refers to what are commonly known as tyre-kickers, Viable demand refers to those walking into the viewing with an approval in principle letter in their back pocket.

Given the number and value of mortgages issued and drawn down over the past year, it's reasonable to assume that a good proportion of viewers are aspirational.

For me, the key factor out there at present is that mortgages are (or were as at the end of Sept) approx 5% of the level they were at at their peak levels in 2006, and even more surprisingly, they are currently running below their levels in 2010, 2011 and 2012.

Below are the figures for the first three quarters of the years in question:

2010 - €3,764M
    2011 - €1,824M
    2012 - €1,637M
    2013 - €1,599M

I'd expect that given the low volume of transactions and we've heard at least half (65%?) of house sales in dublin in 2013 were cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Property is selling in Dublin .. that's demand satisfied.

By the same logic, the property market was grand in Leitrim in 2006!

gaius c wrote: »
    By the same logic, the property market was grand in Leitrim in 2006!

I'm talking about demand, not opinion on what is happening is good or bad

I'm talking about demand, not opinion on what is happening is good or bad

Transaction volume is tiny so demand is also rather small too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

It appears that most of the sales in January in Dublin are for very low amounts. Lots of small apatrments etc.

What do people think of this?

Perhaps it's a sign of the big cash buyers drying up and the lump sum pension joe soaps getting in on the action..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 snakeoilsales

Its a sign that the rich Irish are waiting for prices to increase...

Only crap on the market now...

The rich Irish will have a nice summer...I'm sure they have already bough their BBq in the sales,

I'd say there will be a hold off or pull back until the later half of this year then a surge again as people realise prices havent abated all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

I'd say there will be a hold off or pull back until the later half of this year then a surge again as people realise prices havent abated all that much.

You've changed your tune :)

Pull back means a fall in prices?

• Advertisement

moxin wrote: »
    You've changed your tune :)

Pull back means a fall in prices?

Not at all . The demand will still be there just a little hesitation from buyers and sellers alike. It can be seen prices in some cases are jumping to much in a short space of time.

Not at all . The demand will still be there just a little hesitation from buyers and sellers alike. It can be seen prices in some cases are jumping to much in a short space of time.

It would be nice to get a break from trying to compete with investors with cash. It's really disappointing to be putting effort into just wanting to buy my first home and having to compete with lads who stashed a few quid away from the boom :rolleyes:

lima wrote: »
    It would be nice to get a break from trying to compete with investors with cash. It's really disappointing to be putting effort into just wanting to buy my first home and having to compete with lads who stashed a few quid away from the boom :rolleyes:

Wait until the banks start lending proper them you will wish you'd stuck it out and bought now

Wait until the banks start lending proper them you will wish you'd stuck it out and bought now

Yeah it's a possibility alright, get in ahead of a potential upswing in lending. A lot of those people would need deposits which they mightn't have yet

Yeah it's a possibility alright, get in ahead of a potential upswing in lending. A lot of those people would need deposits which they mightn't have yet

I'd expect people who don't have deposit therefore would not be getting mortgages no matter what. I Dont see why they would even be talking about buying a property.

It appears that most of the sales in January in Dublin are for very low amounts. Lots of small apatrments etc.

Perhaps it's a sign of the big cash buyers drying up and the lump sum pension joe soaps getting in on the action..

1. Jan is always a quiet month.
    2. PPR takes a while to update.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

gaius c wrote: »
    1. Jan is always a quiet month.
    2. PPR takes a while to update.

+1, absolutely nothing can be read into Jan's figures to date - as they are so incomplete (maybe 15%-20% complete) - they won't be 90% updated until mid March.

I'd say the sales in to date are those that were trying to get through pre 31/12/13 but just missed out.

Also there are plenty of decent sized sales in so far, for example;

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/eStampUNID/UNID-1E63D829FB07945280257C680059AD1F?OpenDocument

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/eStampUNID/UNID-304DFE19BCD3103D80257C680059AB54?OpenDocument

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/eStampUNID/UNID-C29F04C3780C51F980257C5B00374BF6?OpenDocument

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/eStampUNID/UNID-7D2E3F2CBDF02CEC80257C680059AB2B?OpenDocument

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/eStampUNID/UNID-94C03D2B868505DF80257C61004CF1A5?OpenDocument

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/eStampUNID/UNID-2ADBA57254D45D9C80257C61004CF1B8?OpenDocument

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/eStampUNID/UNID-AE717D84E50B385280257C680059AD4E?OpenDocument

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/eStampUNID/UNID-A98137F71713EFC880257C680059ADCB?OpenDocument

I guess people sometimes see what they want to see

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

The no LPT isn't really an incentive, its minuscule.

seeing the numbers on the ppr for decemeber it seems it was a good enough incentive for a lot of people!

kennyb3 wrote: »

I guess people sometimes see what they want to see

They sure do, I see mostly cheap properties being sold??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

They sure do, I see mostly cheap properties being sold??

Okay lets look at what you said;
    It appears that most of the sales in January in Dublin are for very low amounts. Lots of small apartments etc.

Now firstly I note you left out the rest of my post - now why would that be? Is it because I was pointing out that the sample of data is so small you can't draw inferences from it?

- The 96 properties sold in Jan 2014 to date represent 0.965% of last years sales, a figure which will fall as more 2013 sales are added. Do you think this represents an adequate sample size?

- How can you make inferences about the market based on this? If it was full of high value properties would you not ask for a sample size of 5% or 10%? Or is showed that average or median prices were up 20% would it be indicate of the dublin market as a whole? (and it does show the average is up - see below - no doubt skewed by the €4.5m sale due to the low sample size)

Now let's look at the figures anyway (even though as I've pointed out they are extremely limited given the sample size).

- Now the average of the 96 properties sold is €291,166 - much higher than the average €239k average dublin property price at the end of Dec (21.83% higher). Does this mean prices are up nearly 22% in Jan on Dec? No of course not.

- Of the 96 sales, 35 are above the €239k dublin average. Of those 35 - 21 are above €300k and of those 21, 14 are above €400k

- Now lets look at the cheap properties - there are only 28 properties below €150k (I'm not sure what you define as cheap) and of these 11 are only below €100k. So there are more properties over €400k than under €100k.

Anyway as I say it's all pointless as it's such a small sample size.

And on what your inference that 'Perhaps it's a sign of the big cash buyers drying up and the lump sum pension joe soaps getting in on the action'.

How did you draw this inference?

- How do you know which properties were cash and which mortgage?
    - Of the cash transactions how did you come up with that they are lump sums? and ordinary joe's? You do know yields are usually higher on smaller 1/2 bed apartments?

I'm going to guess they were just throw away comments.

Advertisement