Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying 2014

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

MouseTail wrote: »
    Here is an article more or less correlating with my view on why the recent price surge is not a bubble.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/here-we-go-again-no-rising-prices-alone-do-not-a-bubble-make-30033169.html

At the current rate of transactions, it takes 70 years to turnover the housing stock. The low rate of transactions is the only reason that prices are artificially high and Dan (who I do respect) completely ignores this.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭dinnyirwin

Here is an article more or less correlating with my view on why the recent price surge is not a bubble.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/here-we-go-again-no-rising-prices-alone-do-not-a-bubble-make-30033169.html

While im not partial to any article or person that pretends they know where things are going in the future i do love this line.

"But it is important that we don't harm ourselves further by fighting the last war when it is long over."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Was looking at houses/apartments and I can forget about buying anytime soon.

As a potential first time buyer in the future (26 years old) what is happening now is all quite depressing.
    Cash sales of houses for an older generation that already has money and isn't impacted as much by the recession
    House prices rising again.
    Stupidly high rent prices in the city making it hard to save for a deposit
    Banks unwilling to repossess houses meaning prices stay artificially high.
    And finally (on a side note) a Government uninterested in implementing any policies that help the younger generation.

I don't want to buy a house for the sake of it but when it seems hopeless buying anything decent in a few years time even.

End rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

ferike1 wrote: »
    Was looking at houses/apartments and I can forget about buying anytime soon.

As a potential first time buyer in the future (26 years old) what is happening now is all quite depressing.
    Cash sales of houses for an older generation that already has money and isn't impacted as much by the recession
    House prices rising again. I
    Stupidly high rent prices in the city making it hard to save for a deposit
    Banks unwilling to repossess houses meaning prices stay artificially high.
    And finally (on a side note) a Government uninterested in implementing any policies that help the younger generation.

I don't want to buy a house for the sake of it but when it seems hopeless buying anything decent in a few years time even.

End rant.

You should have bought when you could Dont blame others because you didn't have the confidence.

You should have bought when you could Dont blame others because you didn't have the confidence.

Hes 26.
    Probably couldnt buy and is just having the exact same 20s rant that everyone in history has had at that age. When they look back at that rant in another few years they will understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Buy when you're in final year of college and beat the rush?

The guy is working for at most 3-4 years. How on earth is he supposed to have the resources to be able to buy?

I'm glad you had the money to buy a house when you were 26. Good for you! :pac:

And btw, just to clarify I don't expect that I should be able to buy some 400k house at the age of 26 but with the way things are developing it doesn't look likely I will be able to even think about buying ANYTHING decent before the age of 30 and the thoughts of renting another 4 years when I could be saving that is sickening!

ferike1 wrote: »
    I'm glad you had the money to buy a house when you were 26. Good for you! :pac:

And btw, just to clarify I don't expect that I should be able to buy some 400k house at the age of 26 but with the way things are developing it doesn't look likely I will be able to even think about buying ANYTHING decent before the age of 30 and the thoughts of renting another 4 years when I could be saving that is sickening!

It would be a rare 26 year hold who had the money to buy a house. Or who even had the desire to buy a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah 26 is far too young IMO. Save for a few years to get a good deposit together and then decide what you want. Where I wanted to live when I was 26 is very different from where I do now (aged 30). Also, you want the flexibility to emigrate if you need/want to.

On another note, from seeing things in Dublin, it seems buying a house that needs work is the way to go. There's no blank spaces in the city, but plenty of houses in nice areas that you could do a lovely job on for €100k and 6 months. Are there any good irish websites that show what can be done, and give people an idea of costs?

I'd love if at open houses there were builders/architects with plans or proposals. Say you can get this house for €300k, and give us €100k and we can do this, that etc.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Yeah 26 is far too young IMO. Save for a few years to get a good deposit together and then decide what you want. Where I wanted to live when I was 26 is very different from where I do now (aged 30). Also, you want the flexibility to emigrate if you need/want to.

On another note, from seeing things in Dublin, it seems buying a house that needs work is the way to go. There's no blank spaces in the city, but plenty of houses in nice areas that you could do a lovely job on for €100k and 6 months. Are there any good irish websites that show what can be done, and give people an idea of costs?

I'd love if at open houses there were builders/architects with plans or proposals. Say you can get this house for €300k, and give us €100k and we can do this, that etc.

Oh no, not at all , I want to keep saving, I just don't want to be priced out of the market by the time I actually have something saved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

I keep hear people referring to recent price rises as a bubble. Its not. It may become one, but its not at the moment. We simply have a shift in the demand curve, and prices overcorrecting on the way down.

maybe the overcorrecting is overcorrecting? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

How is everyone getting on in the house search? We are still searching and definitely seeing the trend of prices increasing.
    I haven't heard of any cash buyers on any houses we have seen this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Getting nowhere I am afraid......max budget of 190 (looking for 2 bed in ok area inside M50, ok with some work)...very little in my price range and what is...is being bid up to over asking price...or is a total kip.

I am seeing the same faces at viewings etc so I don't think there are that many people looking its just that there is NO supply at all.

I am thinking I will just keep saving for a while and see how things go in the next 8-12 months hopefully some more supply comes on, and the cash buyers dry up.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

dinnyirwin wrote: »
    It would be a rare 26 year hold who had the money to buy a house. Or who even had the desire to buy a house.

It's doable just depends on what you are looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

gmisk wrote: »
    Getting nowhere I am afraid......max budget of 190 (looking for 2 bed in ok area inside M50, ok with some work)...very little in my price range and what is...is being bid up to over asking price...or is a total kip.

I am seeing the same faces at viewings etc so I don't think there are that many people looking its just that there is NO supply at all.

I am thinking I will just keep saving for a while and see how things go in the next 8-12 months hopefully some more supply comes on, and the cash buyers dry up.

We are the same, seeing the same faces at every viewing! The last house we looked at needed seriously work and still over for 30k over asking and the asking was high anyway :(

We are focusing on saving and hoping to get a little luck along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 32,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

We are the same, seeing the same faces at every viewing! The last house we looked at needed seriously work and still over for 30k over asking and the asking was high anyway :(

We are focusing on saving and hoping to get a little luck along the way
    Good luck with the hunt :).

I understand how frustrating it is believe me!

Advertisement