Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much time can a Landlord legally take to have something replaced?

Options
  • 05-12-2013 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi everyone! I'll cut straight to the point.

The fridge broke down (the light works but the fridge won't cool- out of gas, I was told), and after the auctioneers over promising on their handling the situation, it's been two weeks and yet we've got no fixing the current fridge/getting a new fridge.

How long can this go on until it becomes illegal and I can consider the contract to be broken?

Thanks a million!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

For something like a fridge? Not long at all.

Write to the landlord/auctioneer and outline the issue. State that the issue has been ongoing for a fortnight, and that you would like a written response in writing outlining how and when they intend for the issue to be resolved. Give a deadline (I think in this case a week is plenty) after which you will have no option but to have the appliance repaired/replaced and the money deducted from the rent.

If they come back and say that they are working on it and are awaiting on a part or whatever to be delivered then so be it. If they are just dragging their heals on replacing the fridge then you will need to take further action.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

AbigailAC wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'll cut straight to the point.

The fridge broke down (the light works but the fridge won't cool- out of gas, I was told), and after the auctioneers over promising on their handling the situation, it's been two weeks and yet we've got no fixing the current fridge/getting a new fridge.

How long can this go on until it becomes illegal and I can consider the contract to be broken?

Thanks a million!!

Are you looking for a way to get out of a lease? Do as djimi posted for a start - if its not fixed within your reasonable deadline then the property is not fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 AbigailAC

Thanks very much for the help!

17 days and yet no fridge, and I am so tired of these attitudes that I am going to finish the lease, i.e. terminate the contract.

I wasn't able to find thread on this so I will post one asking if anybody has any experiences at getting the deposit back.

PS: I was advised by threshold.ie, for free and on the phone, this might come in handy ;)

Thanks very much for the help!

17 days and yet no fridge, and I am so tired of these attitudes that I am going to finish the lease, i.e. terminate the contract.

I wasn't able to find thread on this so I will post one asking if anybody has any experiences at getting the deposit back.

PS: I was advised by threshold.ie, for free and on the phone, this might come in handy ;)

Did you inform then in writing of the issue and give them reasonable time to fix it?

I did inform over email 17 days ago and yesterday they promised to have it replaced in 3 days (second promise of the kind - the first one being 11 days ago) so today I will send them an email saying that if they don't comply with this time frame (3-4 days) I will terminate the contract.

Do you have any input? (Thanks!)

• Advertisement

I did inform over email 17 days ago and yesterday they promised to have it replaced in 3 days (second promise of the kind - the first one being 11 days ago) so today I will send them an email saying that if they don't comply with this time frame (3-4 days) I will terminate the contract.

Do you have any input? (Thanks!)

Merely informing them isn't enough, not if you want to terminate. You need to write a letter detailing the issue and give them a reasonable time to fix it. Given that they have already indicated that they would replace it in 3 days i would agree with that date and, in your letter, state they have 3 days to replace the fridge. If this si not done then you can send them a notice that you will be terminating the tenancy. Are you fixed contract tenancy? If so what is the notice superior? If you are not then how long have you been in the house.

So you recommend that I send a letter today instead of an email?

I am on a 12-month contract, started Aug 20th 2013. Sorry I don't know what notice superior stands for.

I am on a 12-month contract, started Aug 20th 2013. Sorry I don't know what notice superior stands for.

Whoops, silly auto correct -that should have read notice period, could be 28 days?

A letter that is tracked is better than an email, you want to play things by the book if you are looking to break the lease so they cant challenge you on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

What does your contract say about termination?

What does your contract say about termination?

Not a word whatsoever.

• Advertisement

I would definitely handle all correspondance of this nature (both outgoing and incoming) via registered letter, as it is the most reliable of paper trails.

Not a word whatsoever.

It doesn't mention a notice period whatsoever?

Whoops, silly auto correct -that should have read notice period, could be 28 days?

A letter that is tracked is better than an email, you want to play things by the book if you are looking to break the lease so they cant challenge you on anything.

Understood! Will do.

Any ideas on whether how/when/if I will be able to get my deposit back if I get to terminate?

Most fixed term leases wont; there isnt a notice period for when a fixed term lease is in effect (even if a notice period is written into the lease I dont think it would be legal as notice periods can only be agreed upon as and when they are needed, not in advance). Only a break clause possibly.

Understood! Will do.

Any ideas on whether how/when/if I will be able to get my deposit back if I get to terminate?

There is no legal way they can withhold your deposit for terminating the tenancy early as long as you do it correctly.

Nope, niet, nada! ;)

Nope, niet, nada! ;)

Its probably 28 days so, as you have been in the house less than 6 months.

Its probably 28 days so, as you have been in the house less than 6 months.

There is no notice period under a fixed term lease. Part 4 notice periods do not apply.

djimi wrote: »
    There is no notice period under a fixed term lease. Part 4 notice periods do not apply.

You think the tenant can move out the day after the deadline to resolve the issue expires? Logically that makes sense, but i was being careful as i can;t find anything concrete.

edit: this is all i found so far

They can, however, end the tenancy where the landlord is in breach of an obligation and where they have written to the landlord regarding the breach and giving the landlord an opportunity to rectify the position.

Most fixed term leases wont; there isnt a notice period for when a fixed term lease is in effect (even if a notice period is written into the lease I dont think it would be legal as notice periods can only be agreed upon as and when they are needed, not in advance). Only a break clause possibly.

Well that was my next question... is there a break clause in the lease?
    Does it mention anything about repairs and replacement of items?

• Advertisement

It doesn't have to, its not fit for purpose as the landlord is negligent in his obligation.

It doesn't.

It doesn't have to, its not fit for purpose as the landlord is negligent in his obligation.

Maybe but two wrongs don't make a right and making sure that the tenant follows the correct procedure is vital. So knowing of any get out of jail clauses or specifics relating to the landlords obligations within the lease are great for stick beatings.

Maybe but two wrongs don't make a right and making sure that the tenant follows the correct procedure is vital. So knowing of any get out of jail clauses or specifics relating to the landlords obligations within the lease are great for stick beatings.

Yes, that was why i was checking the notice period, but it appears there isn't one. The OP has to inform the landlord of the issue and state a reasonable period to rectify it. If the landlord doesn't fix the issue the tenant can then terminate.

If they had sent that later 2 weeks ago they could be gone by now.

You think the tenant can move out the day after the deadline to resolve the issue expires? Logically that makes sense, but i was being careful as i can;t find anything concrete.

edit: this is all i found so far

They can, however, end the tenancy where the landlord is in breach of an obligation and where they have written to the landlord regarding the breach and giving the landlord an opportunity to rectify the position.

Im sure a notice period is required if the tenant wants to break a lease due to breach of obligation (I dont actually know the exact procedure for this), but in this case its not tied to the length of time that the tenant has been in the tenancy. It has nothing to do with the notice periods as set out in the part 4 tenancy.

Im sure a notice period is required if the tenant wants to break a lease due to breach of obligation (I dont actually know the exact procedure for this), but in this case its not tied to the length of time that the tenant has been in the tenancy. It has nothing to do with the notice periods as set out in the part 4 tenancy.

Right, logically for something essential (like food storage) you'd expect to be able t move out asap. Logic is often not applied though.

OP - what did threshold say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

A notice period for breach of obligations by either landlord or tenant (except rent arrears) is 28 days, irrespective of whether there is a fixed term or Part 4 tenancy in operation.

The conditions as mentioned previously are correct - that the landlord / agent has been notified (the law does not require it in writing, but it is safest to do so) and been given a "reasonable time" to remedy the matter.

Again, as has been stated many times in many threads, a reasonable time is normally considered to be 14 days. However, if the landlord has to have special parts ordered, provided he has done this, he has complied with the reasonable time.

odds_on wrote: »
    A notice period for breach of obligations by either landlord or tenant (except rent arrears) is 28 days, irrespective of whether there is a fixed term or Part 4 tenancy in operation.

The conditions as mentioned previously are correct - that the landlord / agent has been notified (the law does not require it in writing, but it is safest to do so) and been given a "reasonable time" to remedy the matter.

Again, as has been stated many times in many threads, a reasonable time is normally considered to be 14 days. However, if the landlord has to have special parts ordered, provided he has done this, he has complied with the reasonable time.

OK, given that food is essential can the op rent a fridge and deduct the cost from the rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

OK, given that food is essential can the op rent a fridge and deduct the cost from the rent?
    That would certainly be an option, having advised the landlord /agent that that is the line of action they decide to take - or even buy a new fridge and deduct the price from the rent, again having advised the landlord of this action.

Alternatively, the OP could also make a claim with the PRTB for landlord's breach of obligations and claim damages for inconvenience, stress, lack of facilities as required by the Housing Standards for rented accommodation etc. It's the kind of thing that the PRTB like to hit landlords with.

• Advertisement

odds_on wrote: »
    That would certainly be an option, having advised the landlord /agent that that is the line of action they decide to take - or even buy a new fridge and deduct the price from the rent, again having advised the landlord of this action.

Alternatively, the OP could also make a claim with the PRTB for landlord's breach of obligations and claim damages for inconvenience, stress, lack of facilities as required by the Housing Standards for rented accommodation etc. It's the kind of thing that the PRTB like to hit landlords with.

Right, but what if the OP would like to use this opportunity to break the lease?

Advertisement