Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Common DNA in fruit or vegetable sequences

• 05-12-2013 1:14pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have identified primers for individual species of fruits but cannot find any papers which would have a general fruit or vegetable conserved sequence.
    Are there any out there or is it just a case of just picking out a known sequence for one of the fruits and see is it picked up by a huge nember of other species of fruit/veg when I run it through BLAST?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

I've no experience of plant genetics - but, I think you should have a look some plant house keeping genes such as ribosomal RNA. I would imagine that you would be able to find universal primers for plant rRNA, intergenic spacers, ATP1, NAD or the genes involved in photosynthesis.

Have a look at this paper They describe primers for ATP1

ATP1_F TGAAYGAGATTYAAGYTGGGGAAATGGT
    ATP1_R CCCTCTTCCATCAATARRTACTCCCA

I've BLASTed the forward primer and it is 100% homologous to everything it returned. There are a few degenerate bases in there, suggesting they could be what you are looking for.

Advertisement