Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parent of child on minecrack.:(

• 05-12-2013 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

My friend advised me try minecraft as a deterrent for free to play games like galaxy life. Now i'll admit minecraft is awesome. But my six and eight year old are now being assimilated into some ghastly hive mind. They speak of nothing but minecraft they wake up they go to sleep they dream mineccraft. And I like a fool have an xbox lined up for Xmas. And I'm just thinking will I ever see my children again? Has anyone ever come back or is this a serious thing? Should I limit the amount of minecraft to a small time frame or just once a week as a treat? i also think my son who watches "snuffy long nose" videos about playing minecraft is emotionally attached to this man. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

your children are so lucky to have such a creative tool in their hands. I wish I had something like minecraft when I was a wee lad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

Just how many block are they mining per day?

If the block amount is low then rehabilitation may be possible.....too high and I'm afraid there's no coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

your children are so lucky to have such a creative tool in their hands. I wish I had something like minecraft when I was a wee lad.

No Lego? Poor man :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Jet Black wrote: »
    No Lego? Poor man :(
    I did, but for the price of minecraft I could only get a certain amount of blocks. minecraft == infinite lego in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭weisses

Only sharing my own story

I was hooked to games when i was that age, although it was the early eighties,

For me (and probably for most people) it was just a phase of life... I must say that i also spend a lot of time playing outside

You can of course bring in a curfew for the amount of time your kids can play games and/or watch telly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Is this trolling or a joke ?

You are a parent, you are in charge. You shouldn't ask young men (for the most part) on a games forum who love games for advice on how to raise your children.
    Be strict, do what's best for them. They are 6 and 8, send them out to play football or sports or join some club.
    Kids these days lose their childhood to games. Worse comes to worst, tell them Minecraft died or the internets broken....or basically NO, you can't play it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

My nephew has a Mario addiction. At least minecraft seems somewhat educational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

horace456 wrote: »
    My friend advised me try minecraft as a deterrent for free to play games like galaxy life. Now i'll admit minecraft is awesome. But my six and eight year old are now being assimilated into some ghastly hive mind. They speak of nothing but minecraft they wake up they go to sleep they dream mineccraft. And I like a fool have an xbox lined up for Xmas. And I'm just thinking will I ever see my children again? Has anyone ever come back or is this a serious thing? Should I limit the amount of minecraft to a small time frame or just once a week as a treat? i also think my son who watches "snuffy long nose" videos about playing minecraft is emotionally attached to this man. Any advice appreciated.

Just limit there gaming time, max of 90 mins a day after all homework, sport etc is done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

In fairness, the more you will try to limit, the more issues you will have in the long run. Usually when parents start to hammer on limited time of playing games, then most likely Parent does not have much clue about gaming and game children playing.

The thing that they love Minecraft is great, you lucky they are not in love with something like Call of duty. I would recomendt you to go and play it with your children and actually see what is it all about. I bet when you learn what minecraft is, you will realise how good it is for kids. Back in the day we had Lego and these days kids have Lego and Minecraft. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

To get them to really like the xbox, you have...

9752e76c-9aae-4fe3-8758-23a36b1f446a.jpg?n=minecraft_packshot.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

In fairness, the more you will try to limit, the more issues you will have in the long run. Usually when parents start to hammer on limited time of playing games, then most likely Parent does not have much clue about gaming and game children playing.

I love games but I don't think it's healthy for a young child to be giving free reign to sit in front of a pc all day so yes it's a very good idea to limit childrens time spent playing videogames regardless of the parent understanding the game or not. Children imo need to be outdoors. (bring them back in during the winter)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

My son is 11 and has been playing on pc since release and the last year or so on xbox too.
    Before it was cool to talk of minecraft with his friends he was doing so and nobody had a clue what he was on about.
    The net result is almost all of his mates playing on xbox.
    I dont mind him playing minecraft in the slightest,if you saw some of the things he has created in both survival and creative modes you would be amazed,just as good as stuff i regularly see on well known minecraft youtubers videos.
    Quite simply the greatest game ever made for children and one of the best games ever for adults too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

This thread reeks more of someone looking to have a rant and get a rise than someone genuinely looking for advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I love games but I don't think it's healthy for a young child to be giving free reign to sit in front of a pc all day so yes it's a very good idea to limit childrens time spent playing videogames regardless of the parent understanding the game or not. Children imo need to be outdoors. (bring them back in during the winter)

As mentioned above, its about parents to control their kids. So asking for advice how to parent your kids always end up bad.
    From my own experience I know that My parents tried everything to suppress my love for gaming ( thats outside of my mother being a femenist alcoholic psycho ) and did nothing, but just put more grinding between us. I am 27 now and I am still a huge gamer and I have not seen my mother since I was 19.

Then I talked with a woman at work whos son has Ds and PS3 and he never plays it. She is using ps3 95% of the time for Netflix etc, wheres her kid is all about football, hurling and other sports.
    So what I am trying to say: it is in a blood of a person to dislike or like things. Instead of blindly fighting it, I would encourage parents to learn more about kids interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Malarkey121

Daughter is 6 and loves Minecraft in fact I am doing up her room Minecraft theme this year, wall stickers and art of blocks, tools and creepers and stuff
    There are tons of videos on youtube of people playing minecraft and building cool places I recommend watching cup quake mine craft my daughter loves her and would quiet happily spend a couple of hours watching her being quiet - not only does the girl on the video speak well and polite she also is very educated and it shows / passes off onto my daughter which is only good in my books.

ps mine craft on android tablet is way better for kids to use than xbox in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Best way to get him off of it is to get him hooked on crack cocaine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

2-3 hours a day is fine i think. Minecraft is probably one of the best games they could be playing anyway, such a good game for young children... especially if they're playing with their friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Have you tried playing with them?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

ps mine craft on android tablet is way better for kids to use than xbox in my opinion

Why? It's got less functionality, it's got an even more flawed interface than a controller and a child can disappear into a corner or under the sheets at bed time with a tablet without you realising.

I have a friend who's nephews play Minecraft even when they're away from their Xbox - they start stacking cushions and boxes and anything in the house they can imagine into a "block" which is pretty funny but maybe a sign that they're a bit far gone with their Minecraft obsession.

By the way, Minecraft forum's over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 horace456

lots of good advice here.
    I wanted especially to get the opinions of gamers and gamers who are also parents so thanks guys.
    i will definitely give it a go {i might end up hooked myself}. I think it's definitely better than those dreadful online games that want real money. at least this is a fair game, everyone starts with the same package and its also social. They can play with friends when they get the xbox. And yes i like Lego and id never stop my kids playing lego too many hours of the day. So that's something to think about.

i hate the idea of being too escapist but damned if life isnt restricted enough financially to inhibit the creativity of even the best of us. so i think i will look at it differently as a kind of lego that i can afford!

its hard not to worry a little when they start muttering " i need a crafting table to change the enderfells into eyes of ender" and youve no idea what they are on about. so i think id rather get to know their world than force them to live in mine.

thanks a million for the perspectives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

my kid likes to play games too. but to stop him being addicted to it 24/7, I set out a rule for him.

If he wants to play for say 3 hours, then he has to read for 1 1/2 hours and outdoor activity for 1 1/2 hours.

it has to be 50-50. It works really well, and he's reading a lot of good books. he occasionally decides to keep reading past the allotted time too!

I don't mind him gaming, just as long as he keeps active outside for a decent spell of time and reads to keep his mind active.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Why? It's got less functionality, it's got an even more flawed interface than a controller and a child can disappear into a corner or under the sheets at bed time with a tablet without you realising.

I have a friend who's nephews play Minecraft even when they're away from their Xbox - they start stacking cushions and boxes and anything in the house they can imagine into a "block" which is pretty funny but maybe a sign that they're a bit far gone with their Minecraft obsession.

By the way, Minecraft forum's over here.

mine do that. they cant sleep cos everything is square they dream in blocks. and they play virtual minecraft when they arent playing minecraft they have made a box suit {like a robot} who im assured is just a "non player charectar villager"!!!??

the first time my kids saw a tennis racket they said " we can play pretend wii tennis!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

horace456 wrote: »
    lots of good advice here.
    I wanted especially to get the opinions of gamers and gamers who are also parents so thanks guys.
    i will definitely give it a go {i might end up hooked myself}. I think it's definitely better than those dreadful online games that want real money. at least this is a fair game, everyone starts with the same package and its also social. They can play with friends when they get the xbox. And yes i like Lego and id never stop my kids playing lego too many hours of the day. So that's something to think about.

i hate the idea of being too escapist but damned if life isnt restricted enough financially to inhibit the creativity of even the best of us. so i think i will look at it differently as a kind of lego that i can afford!

its hard not to worry a little when they start muttering " i need a crafting table to change the enderfells into eyes of ender" and youve no idea what they are on about. so i think id rather get to know their world than force them to live in mine.

thanks a million for the perspectives.

Yeah, it would probably be a great idea to get the game and play with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Please someone explain minecraft to me

I have never played it but it looks like a game i might have played in the 80s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

nc19 wrote: »

YOU DIG STUFF THEN YOU BUILD STUFF

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Is this trolling or a joke ?

You are a parent, you are in charge. You shouldn't ask young men (for the most part) on a games forum who love games for advice on how to raise your children.
    Be strict, do what's best for them. They are 6 and 8, send them out to play football or sports or join some club.
    Kids these days lose their childhood to games. Worse comes to worst, tell them Minecraft died or the internets broken....or basically NO, you can't play it.

i know even less about footbal than minecraft and it seems even silllier although good excersise im sure.

nc19 wrote: »

it does look like the old graphics of say prince of persia all a bit pixeled. it seems to have extrremely wide appeal and game play. look on utube theres a guy called stampylongnose i think who does fun vids showing his world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

tried the demo once, couldn't get into it though tbh.

• Advertisement

my kid likes to play games too. but to stop him being addicted to it 24/7, I set out a rule for him.

If he wants to play for say 3 hours, then he has to read for 1 1/2 hours and outdoor activity for 1 1/2 hours.

it has to be 50-50. It works really well, and he's reading a lot of good books. he occasionally decides to keep reading past the allotted time too!

I don't mind him gaming, just as long as he keeps active outside for a decent spell of time and reads to keep his mind active.

Thanks, that sounds reasonable. may i ask would you think that say an afternoon once or twice a week would e better than say a half hour a day. it looks like you need a fe3w hours to work on building etc. and at the moment thats what ive been doing but it seems to frustrate the kids a lot. do you let them on for three hours a day every day or just sometimes? thanks

Advertisement