Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I make my own trance and rave music?

Options
  • 05-12-2013 2:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49

I have often wondered how I can create my own sounds from these genres. With rock, you play guitar, drums and bass. What about this music? Can someone point me in the right direction as regards equipment, price, shop locations etc. or just general info really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

To start off, the only equipment you'll need is a laptop and a pair of speakers / headphonnes.
    Download a copy of Reaper or a trial of FLStudio or Ableton. These are software programmes commonly called DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations)
    Whichever one you choose to try, you will find loads of tutorials on YouTube on how to create music on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

If you prefer the hands on approach these new toys from Korg might be the way to go...about €140 each.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Little Italy

Cool tomahawk. Where can I buy those (not online) do many grown ups use them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

I used FastTracker2 back then when I was young and beautiful.
    It was fun program and simple to use. I never got along with Magic Music Maker or similar programs. I'm ould school guy, I guess..

However FT2 works only under DOS not Windows so you need to try FT2 younger brothers like Skale Tracker or Milky Tracker. Both available free to download (I think)
    Does anybody here even knows what DOS is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Those Korg Volcas are very hard to get this side of Xmas online or in the shops as the demand is so great for them. Plenty of musicians of all rank are gonna be using them I reckon. I think some music shop in Capel street (not Goodwins) had a few in last week, only heard this from another user last weekend...

• Advertisement

Cool tomahawk. Where can I buy those (not online) do many grown ups use them?

You'll still need software to route hardware through for sequencing, mastering and fx.

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    I used FastTracker2 back then when I was young and beautiful.
    It was fun program and simple to use. I never got along with Magic Music Maker or similar programs. I'm ould school guy, I guess..

However FT2 works only under DOS not Windows so you need to try FT2 younger brothers like Skale Tracker or Milky Tracker. Both available free to download (I think)
    Does anybody here even knows what DOS is :)

I use to have an Amstrad 6128. Very fancy, you could load from tape and floppy disc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

:):):):):):):):)

Good ould times..
    But can do very same whatever is in this youtube video ( 3x 140 euro saved )

http://modp3.mikendezign.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Miloglow

Firstly you will need a D.A.W. Google some of them and check out the demos, there are loads out there now Ableton, FL Studio, Cubase, Reason, Logic, Renoise, Pro Tools etc. This is where the bulk of your track will be made. Depending on the sound you are looking for, this is all you would need software wise. I wouldn't recommend diving in and getting hardware straight away.

You can then get things called VST's which are essentially virtual instruments or soft synths. Some popular basic beginnerish ones would be Sylenth 1, Vanguard, V-Station. As always check out the demos of these before buying. These are used for producing different sounds e.g. Basses, Pads, Leads. There are also a tonne of free alternatives, I would recommend checking out KVR for a list of all the free plugins available.

Go on different forums, ask plenty of questions, there is no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know the answer. Check out YouTube tutorials and never be afraid to ask for help. If you really are interested in producing your own stuff, it will take time. You might find after about a month you are making stuff, sending it to friends and they are like "oh my god this is brilliant etc etc." Take this with a pinch of salt, it happens to most people in the beginning. Realistically, it will take you maybe a year before you will truly start getting good results, depending on how much work and time you put into it. Post some of your stuff up here and I'm sure we would give you honest but constructive feedback.

Some good channels to checkout for all things production would be:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DubSpot
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DJVespers
    http://www.youtube.com/user/cosmcosm/videos
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FutureMusicMagazine

Future Musics channel do some great in the studio videos with artists that you might like

Computer Music has a tutorial on creating old skool rave. Issue 199

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 magi1988

Just download software like fl studio, reason etc.

And play around with the sounds.
    There are also alot of tutorials on youtube on how to tweek a sound to your liking.

Advertisement