Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler & napping?

Options
  • 05-12-2013 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

My son is nearly 2.5 yrs and I have a 4 mth old as well.

Until now his routine has bedtime from 8.30, sleeping till 7.30 or 8am. Then nap from around 2 - 4.

Recently his naps have become much more unlikey. Some days he will sleep after maybe 40mins or so in bed chatting to himself. Some days he won't sleep at all but will be happy enough to be left in the room. Some days he really doesn't want to nap at all and will get upset.

He doesn't really seem to sleep any longer at night when he doesn't have a nap, he might fall asleep a bit quicker but that's about the only difference.

I've really appreciated the down time as it gives me some time to either play with the baby or, if she's napping, get myself lunch in peace etc so I'm really reluctant to do away with naps. But it is getting to the stage where perhaps its not worth trying.

When do people give up trying to get their toddler to nap? And if toddlers don't nap do people find they generally go to be earlier, sleep better, or for longer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

My son stopped napping at 16 months for 8 months, and started napping again just before he turned two for a few weeks. He was 2 in September and now might nap once a week, or occasionally sleep in the car for up to 20 minutes.
    We have an hour of quiet time most afternoons, usually with a few cartoons or a cuddle on the couch.
    Unfurtunately the not napping never made a difference for sleep, still goes to bed late & wakes early, and only now is starting to have a few consecutive nights of not waking.
    It took me a while to stop trying to force naps, like you say, the down time was great! But it was more draining trying to get him to nap that it was to chill out for an hour or two.
    Hope you find what works best for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Yes I remember this exact thing when my 2nd baby was born, which is when I invented chill out time.

So regardless of whether he wanted a nap or not, he went to his room for a chill out, that is lie on bed with comforter/ teddy, listen to his bed time music and 'read a book' until the music is over, I.e. 40 mins. Some days he would fall asleep, some days not, but I got a little time and he actually really liked his own space for that little while.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

My daughter is almost 19 months and for maybe the last 3/4 months she's been having no nap.

Like you, I missed the me hour, to wee in piece, have a cuppa, even just to prepare dinner.

But it got to the stage where it just was not worth the hassle, we were both getting upset, her cuz she didn't want to sleep, me cuz I felt like I was doing something wrong (first child)
    Now I realise there is no rule book and it works for us now. The only time she would ever sleep now is if we are in the car between three or four.

Her routine is now, bed between 7.30 and 8. Sleep throught until 8 or half past. On the odd day she would get twenty mins in the car, that could keep her up until 9pm.

She has quiet time around 4pm, cup of juice, blankie and cartoon for half an hour. Let's me do dinner while keeping her occupied, and she does need the battery recharge around then anyway :)

Advertisement