Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place to Buy Hiking Gear in Dublin?

Options
  • 05-12-2013 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, where do people go to get their boots and jackets in dublin? Is there any kind of factory shop or anything like that? I know theres a Great Outdoors type place on Parnell Street and in the Stephens Green centre but never seen anything else besides that.

Or am I better off just buying from Amazon or waiting for Aldi/Lidl?

Looking for boots, jacket and backpack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In Dublin itself :

Great Outdoors - Chatham St. (plus a separate North Face store in Temple Bar)

Outdoor Adventure Store - Liffey Street Upper (plus a warehouse / outlet shop in Bray in the units on Killarney Rd. near the cemetery although they didn't appear to have much stock there when I visited just after they opened it)

Basecamp - Middle Abbey St.

There's a few shops too around the Mary St. / Capel St area. Ramblers Way is one of them, I can't remember the others.

Then outside of the centre there's 53 Degrees North in Carrickmines Retail Park and in Blanchardstown shopping centre and Snow and Rock in Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is that this place or are you talking about somewhere else?

https://plus.google.com/102923556604117093323/about?gl=ie&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thargor wrote: »
    Is that this place or are you talking about somewhere else?

https://plus.google.com/102923556604117093323/about?gl=ie&hl=en
    No. That's more of a hunting /s hooting kind of place I think.

Where I'm talking about is on Killarney Rd. itself on the left if you're leaving Bray after the junction with Boghall Rd. just before you get to the big cemetery on your right. There's a small business park with a decorating shop, a car parts place, East Coast radio etc. The OAS store is tucked up around the back somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah thanks never knew that and I walk past it most days, Ill have a look, Im guessing they'll be overpriced knowing Bray though, thanks for the tips on the other places, never knew there was that much choice around.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Mac2010

depends on what you are looking for and how much willing to spend really. Great outdoors in Dublin 2 is great shop as well as 53 degrees north in blanchardstown and Carrickmines. these 2 shops stock brand stuff for serious-ish people and do offer online special offers often. if ur looking for basic stuff there are a couple of shops close to capel st and mary st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

There's an outlet place in Monkstown.

Any of the larger places mentioned are good. I like the great outdoors, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

CardinalJ wrote: »
    There's an outlet place in Monkstown.

Any of the larger places mentioned are good. I like the great outdoors, personally.

Where about is the outlet place in Monkstown please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Jacket and backpack you can probably get online cheaper than any shop in Dublin. As for boots - go to the shops - try them on and find a pair you like and note the size. Then price them online and buy wherevers cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

As mentioned above - there is ramblers way in mary street and close by there is an army/navy/camping store on capel street. I think there is another small outdoors shop a few doors down on capel street too.

Sadly Milliets on mary street are now gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Where about is the outlet place in Monkstown please?

https://www.facebook.com/SportsOutletStore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Orion wrote: »
    As for boots - go to the shops - try them on and find a pair you like and note the size. Then price them online and buy wherevers cheapest.

Must admit I'm disappointed to see people suggesting / supporting this idea. Granted it seems to be the way many people are now doing their shopping, but I think this only contriutes to the demise of places like Milliets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Must admit I'm disappointed to see people suggesting / supporting this idea. Granted it seems to be the way many people are now doing their shopping, but I think this only contriutes to the demise of places like Milliets.

I have to agree, I buy both in retail stores and online, but I feel it's just plain cheeky to try stuff on in a store and then order online. Part of the premium you pay in a bricks and mortar store is for the convenience of getting the right size first time round.

All that being said I don't want to go throwing this completely off topic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Wouldn't be top of my list for outdoor shops but I got a superb Columbia Titanium jacket in the clearance section of 53 degrees north for 80 quid. Tested it out in crone wood today, delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

EmptyTree wrote: »

If the price is similar I'll buy in brick and mortar but if I'm going to save 25% or more I'll buy online. The markup in Dublin is ridiculous sometimes. I bought my Paramo smock in Basecamp on Abbey Street a few months ago no problem as they were competitively priced.

Which leads me nicely back on topic ...

Basecamp have a 20%-50% off sale on now - just passed it on the luas and saw the signs. I heard they're doing great deals on Paramo gear as part of this sale.

Advertisement