Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad Punditry/Commentary

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Generally pundits do seem to look on it as a cushy number, and not something that requires any preparation whatsoever beyond any matches they'd watch anyways.

Sure the RTE lads even turn up half jarred sometimes, no bother to them. Serious disrespect for the job for people so highly paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

The other week on Match of the Day some player who was English, can't remember who, had scored a good goal so they were talking about it.

Then Kevin Kilbane suddenly starts going on about if the goal had been scored by a Spaniard or Brazilian they'd be raving about it.
    He actually interrupted a conversation about what a great goal it was just to say that.

The mention of the other Irish lad Lawro complaining about "foreigners" diving reminded me of that.

That irked me as well. Think they were on about some bit of skill from Barkley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Niall Quinn has got to be the worst co-commentator on tv at the moment. Its as though he has a massive long list of clichés that he has to use otherwise he wont get paid. He's so bad, I'd almost prefer Andy Townsend over him.

Lawro and Hansen make me cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEoj0Ypag21kBZNxy1_yGHwDmwS3hrZjemuTBM1fNH17QcdOny

I think Hansen is top class , so deadly serious - different tastes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Brady while the two knock him is the go to man to have a decent go at pronouncing the foreign names and actually having seen the player play before.

Brady cant even pronounce the irish names for gods sake. Apparently one of our wingers is called "mac eddy."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

"Eamon Dunphy claims the non-singing of the Spanish anthem by their players was a deliberate show of unity between Basques/Catalans/Castilians. Yes, the Spanish anthem that has no lyrics."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I assume most people say Garth Crooks' team of the week last weekend? It was doing the rounds on twitter, particularly because of his reasoning for including Wayne Rooney:
    FORWARD - WAYNE ROONEY (Man Utd)

I was speaking to my uncle Ben on Saturday and said that Aaron Ramsey was almost certain to be the unanimous choice for footballer of the year. He took the glass of champagne out of my hand and said: 'You mean Wayne Rooney, don't you?' I told him that he had made a very good point and promptly went home.

That's it.

Alan Partridge-esque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

A beauty from Lawrenson just now after the world cup draw.

"The climate in Sao Paulo will suit England better than Uruguay. The Uruguayans will be cold!"

Sao Paulo is approx 1500km closer to the equator than Uruguay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

"Eamon Dunphy claims the non-singing of the Spanish anthem by their players was a deliberate show of unity between Basques/Catalans/Castilians. Yes, the Spanish anthem that has no lyrics."

was this after another one of those tired and emotional nights at lilly's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

You'd hope a commentator would know the laws of the game, but after Jamie Ward scored for NI v Portugal in Windsor Park this season from an offside position after Johnny Evans headed the ball on from a corner, Jackie Fullerton said: "Everyone knows you can't be offside from a corner."

Honestly. He did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Maybe he was being sarcastic and turning a blind eye in support of his own team?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

By the end of this thread probably very pundit will be named. Different strokes for different folks. Everyone will drop a clanger now and again.

Every sentence can't be a concise piece of information, they've a lot to talk about and you'll always have cliches. At the end of the day a lot of these pundits young and old have played the game at the highest level and will see things quicker than most and can provide analysis from experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anyone (particularly Giles but many are at it) who says "I don't know much about this team". IT'S YOUR JOB!!! You're meant to be informing ME.

Alan Shearer was the worst at this. Ben Arfa makes his full newcastle debut, scores the only goal of the game. Shearer who was newish and was going to be talking about the newcastle game on MOTD has something like 3 hours to research ben arfa. Actually, on bbc he's handed the research. But shearer can't be bothered to read it. So his introduction on 4 time french league winner, french international Hatem Ben Arfa was "No one really knows much about him".
    Shearer gets paid £500k a year by BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Cienciano wrote: »
    Alan Shearer was the worst at this. Ben Arfa makes his full newcastle debut, scores the only goal of the game. Shearer who was newish and was going to be talking about the newcastle game on MOTD has something like 3 hours to research ben arfa. Actually, on bbc he's handed the research. But shearer can't be bothered to read it. So his introduction on 4 time french league winner, french international Hatem Ben Arfa was "No one really knows much about him".
    Shearer gets paid £500k a year by BBC

Maybe you should have researched this thread before that post ;) Even though I realise you don't get paid for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

JokerD wrote: »
    By the end of this thread probably very pundit will be named. Different strokes for different folks. Everyone will drop a clanger now and again.

Every sentence can't be a concise piece of information, they've a lot to talk about and you'll always have cliches. At the end of the day a lot of these pundits young and old have played the game at the highest level and will see things quicker than most and can provide analysis from experience.

This is pretty much it really.

We all like different commentators and rarely ever is there a universal agreement that a certain one is good. For instance, I know some people don't like Gerry Armstrong on spanish football, and he does say silly things sometimes, but I always like to hear him commentate on games and he does always offer Spanish related experience out there.

I know a lot of people like his analysis, and at the start he was decent, but I've found Neville starting to become a bit boring. He's now fully aware of the praise he was getting and seems to be making extra effort to say something slightly controversial or 'honest'.

• Advertisement

a bit like sky sports news friday after the world cup draw

each pundit saying england will make the quarter finals or semi finals...............:rolleyes:

why what have they ever done, and in fairness any good team they ever had is long gone

at least they have'nt burnt us yet with the "were going to win it" bull**** yet!!!

another gem from eamon dunphy and for those who dont know
    the spain national anthem has no words
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

This thread is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Jim Beglin /ends thread.

Judging by his damming verdict of every mistake, he must have been some footballer in his own little mind....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

gucci wrote: »
    Jim Beglin /ends thread.

Judging by his damming verdict of every mistake, he must have been some footballer in his own little mind....

Ray Houghton is very like that too - Captain Hindsight. Player takes a touch - "should have hit it first time George", Player smashes it first time "should have taken a touch George".

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    Ray Houghton is very like that too - Captain Hindsight. Player takes a touch - "should have hit it first time George", Player smashes it first time "should have taken a touch George".

yes george hamilton can be the same at times!!

ireland conceed a goal ........ "OH NO"

ireland win ............. " YES WERE THERE"

irish player gets booked and miss the next match........"HOW UNFORTUNATE"

player gets booked and misses the next match (against ireland) ......" NOW THIS IS SUCNIFICENT"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Houghton is truly insufferable, always sees the negative. Keepers never make great saves in Ray's world, always a case of the striker has got to do better with his shot. Likewise there has never been a great goal scored in Ray's world, either the keeper or the defender has got to do better.

I'm surprised he actually celebrated his goal v Italy in '94, would be more in keeping with his glass half empty philosophy had he angrily lectured Albertini and Baresi for standing off him before turning on Pagliuca to berate him for being off his line.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Martin Keown, just ugly on all accounts.

wtf has that got to do with anything :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

elefant wrote: »
    Best one recently was Ireland vs. Austria.

The actual pre-match analysis was along the lines of;

'We don't know much about them Bill. But Weimann is on the bench, and he's pretty good, so they must be alright. Here are some clips of Weimann'.

That wasn't so much bad punitry, but stinginess on behalf of RTE. They would've had footage of Weimann playing for Villa in stock from their days of doing the EPL highlights. They would've had to buy footage for the rest of the players from foreign stations and they didn't want to spend the money so they concentrated their analysis on the players for who they have footage for. The same applies to times when they don't show club footage of players who play in the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Some pundits/commentators clearly know their stuff but just cannot translate that to good commentary or analysis. Wilkins is a perfect example. Quinn is insufferable to listen to, same with Whelan and Houghton. Lawro is depressing and Hansen tries to hard to come across as clever or witty. Lets not forget Jamie Redknapp either. Absolutely clueless.

KH25 wrote: »
    Some pundits/commentators clearly know their stuff but just cannot translate that to good commentary or analysis. Wilkins is a perfect example. Quinn is insufferable to listen to, same with Whelan and Houghton. Lawro is depressing and Hansen tries to hard to come across as clever or witty. Lets not forget Jamie Redknapp either. Absolutely clueless.

there has to be room in that category for glen hoddle ....he has to be the worst of the lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Martin Tyler saying that Roberto Martinez was an 8 hour a night man during the Arsenal game was a bit weird.

Does he know his bowel movements as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I remember spanish football expert Dunphy was talking about Valencia and how good they were. And he said Aimar was still to come back from injury. Except Aimar had left Valencia a year ago
    In fairness, we could have an entire forum devoted to Dunphy and how wrong he was. Would love to get a montage of Dunphy/Giles clips on how bad Ronaldo is.
    greendom wrote: »
    Maybe you should have researched this thread before that post ;) Even though I realise you don't get paid for it.

Doh! Researchers didn't provide me with the notes!

I'm not sure where Beglin is plying his trade now, but i remember about 2 seasons ago when Zlatan was still at AC Milan and they were playing Arsenal (i think) in the Emirates cup, about 10 minutes into the game himself and Tysley started their tired routine of "Zlatan has alot of skill but no application...would he make it in the Premiership etc" (He practially had touched the ball 3 times by this stage.....
    Then the ball broke from an Arsenal corner up to Zlatan who took one touch, looked like he couldnt be arsed running any further so smashed it in to the top corner from about 35metres, while Beglin was mid flow of his analysis of him, hilarious.

Martin Tyler saying that Roberto Martinez was an 8 hour a night man during the Arsenal game was a bit weird.

Does he know his bowel movements as well?

Martinez seems like a regular kinda guy.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

gucci wrote: »
    I'm not sure where Beglin is plying his trade now, but i remember about 2 seasons ago when Zlatan was still at AC Milan and they were playing Arsenal (i think) in the Emirates cup, about 10 minutes into the game himself and Tysley started their tired routine of "Zlatan has alot of skill but no application...would he make it in the Premiership etc" (He practially had touched the ball 3 times by this stage.....
    Then the ball broke from an Arsenal corner up to Zlatan who took one touch, looked like he couldnt be arsed running any further so smashed it in to the top corner from about 35metres, while Beglin was mid flow of his analysis of him, hilarious.

Whoops misread two posts!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Frankly I hate the smugness of Martin Tyler and he says some of the most truly cringe worthy and cheesy stuff.
    And last year he truly wrecked my head trying to work the Man City dramatic finish into every game.
    Having said most commentators and pundits are ill-informed, lazy and sometimes dense which makes for some funny moments. Who wants professionalism? Just give me the comedy factor and comments that haven't been homogenised to the point of bland.
    Although Niall Quinn also grates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 447 ✭✭Pen.Island

I find Kenny Cunningham excellent on the rare occasion he does co commentate.

Kevin Kilbane is a shocking one though, too cliched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Beglin is gut wrenching , a moany drole so and so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Frankly I hate the smugness of Martin Tyler and he says some of the most truly cringe worthy and cheesy stuff.
    And last year he truly wrecked my head trying to work the Man City dramatic finish into every game.

"It's [14th-placed team] against [16th-placed team]...and it's LIIIIIIVE!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Garth Crooks makes another appearance this week by sticking Skrtel in his Team of the Week and leaving out Sakho.

For those who didn't watch the match, Skrtel had a decent, quietly effective performance (lets say a 7.5) whereas Sakho was absolutely oustanding (a 9).

Anyone who watched that match could see clear as day that Sakho was the standout performer in the Liverpool backline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

A couple of crackers from Owen this afternoon in the Sunderland Soton game.... First of all, "Sunderland are where they are because they haven't scored enough goals"..... would never have thought of that myself, cheers Micheal. Another cracker a few minutes ago regarding a defensive mix up with Alonso for Sunderland I think.... " communication wouldn't be his strong point because its his home debut"?????? Wtf

Advertisement