Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can buyer and vendor use same solicitor on house sale?

Options
  • 05-12-2013 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Purchasing a house. Looking for a solicitor. I was thinking if i find out from agent who vendor's solicitor is would it make the process any smoother or quicker?

Or is it a case solicitor can not act for both parties.

Many thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

No legal expert, but I'd be very wary of doing it. I'd imagine the solicitor wouldn't take it on anyway - not so much because something might actually go wrong, but if there were any issues with the sale it could open him/her up to accusations of conflict of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Best advice would be get your own Solicitor to represent you. Plenty of good Solicitors around just ask for recommendations.

Purchasing a house. Looking for a solicitor. I was thinking if i find out from agent who vendor's solicitor is would it make the process any smoother or quicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Thanks for the responses. Agreed always best to have solicitor independent of vendor.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Solicitor def can't represent both-wanted to use my solicitor when buying my house earlier this year but couldn't as my vendor had the same solicitor so I just got my solicitor to recommend a colleague that he'd be happy to work with.
    All worked out fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

O God that's just st...d. The country is full of under employed solicitors and you want to use the vendors. .. Is this a wined up ?

• Advertisement

In hindsight my question was pretty stupid...and not well thought out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Dont forget to ring around and prices are not set in stone. Get the quote up front and the extra charges such as searches registration etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

There are only stupid answers, no stupid questions as they say.

Just for info and because I found it interesting coming from Ireland, here in Germany the vendor & buyer use the same solicitor (Notary Public actually) who is chosen by the buyer. The Notary is legally obliged to act impartially however and it seems to work fine here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I can see in a way where the op is coming from.

However I can see in a way why it's not a done thing. At the same time, if buyer and purchaser have the same solicitor who they've used a lot previously I can't see why it shouldn't be allowed.

Thanks for the further posts...I can see the of interest though of a solicitor acting on behalf of both parties even with the best intentions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

You're being a little harsh on yourself there. I thought 'twas a reasonable question. I'm no solicitor but I'd assume its similar paper work for most conveyancing bar a few details and without the nonsense of dealing with another solicitor you'd imagine money could be saved.

Having said that, there's good reasons why it'd be a non runner as outlined earlier.

Advertisement