Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Train/Travel Pass

• 05-12-2013 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭

Can I use my Free Travel Pass on the train, or must I get a ticket on the day?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,076 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You may use the pass, but you also need to get a free ticket from the booking office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

aujopimur wrote: »
    Can I use my Free Travel Pass on the train, or must I get a ticket on the day?.

You just need to show your pass at the barriers if you are using the Dart services but must get a ticket with your pass for all other journeys. If you are going up the north ,you must fill out a cross border form with your pass and journey details and then bring it with your pass to get your ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Is it true that if your going away for two days you can only get single tickets and not a return ticket.

Return ticket only available for same day return afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Is it true that if your going away for two days you can only get single tickets and not a return ticket.

Return ticket only available for same day return afaik

Yes they will only issue single trips at a time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    You just need to show your pass at the barriers if you are using the Dart services but must get a ticket with your pass for all other journeys. If you are going up the north ,you must fill out a cross border form with your pass and journey details and then bring it with your pass to get your ticket.

In the light of the increased rate of issue of the new Public Services Card-Free Travel Card it is also worth drawing attention to the ongoing alterations to the Free Travel Scheme's operation.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/Sample%20PSCFT.pdf
    The P that is located after the FT on the top left hand corner denotes a Public Services Card Free Travel for individual use only,S will be displayed where a person has an entitlement to be accompanied by spouse/civil partner and C for those who have a requirement to be accompanied by a companion on medically certified grounds for a specified period.

The "specified period" is a significant alteration to the current situation as is the eventual requirement for a Spouse/Partner/Cohabitant to be in possession of a PSC Card of their own when availing of their partners entitlement.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Gatling wrote: »
    Yes they will only issue single trips at a time

This isn't strictly true. I have had some IE staff give me return journey tickets (DART and trains) and some say they can only give singles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

AlekSmart wrote: »
    In the light of the increased rate of issue of the new Public Services Card-Free Travel Card it is also worth drawing attention to the ongoing alterations to the Free Travel Scheme's operation.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/Sample%20PSCFT.pdf

The "specified period" is a significant alteration to the current situation as is the eventual requirement for a Spouse/Partner/Cohabitant to be in possession of a PSC Card of their own when availing of their partners entitlement.
    Dont be getting overly excited there about social welfare inspectors trawling the public transport network seeking out those who have travelled beyond an expiry date you think might now be included on any pass! That specified period was always part of the criteria for issue of all passes not just the companion pass and the specified period is usually described as being for as long as the person is in receipt of a qualifying payment.

As for the Single/Return ticket saga, this has been going on for years with Irish Rail massaging the figures so they can claim more people have travelled than is the case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

If you can't get a ticket before boarding the train just show the inspector the pass they'll print you one.. No you can't get a return they won't give you a monthly return either they'll tell you to just get another one when you're coming back since it's free.. I use my pass on the train everyday and I rarely waste the paper on tickets

• Advertisement

I went to Belfast before and they gave me a ticket with a return date of up to a month.

You are entitled to get a day return ticket from booking offices.

Not a month return. And you don't need to get a ticket just flash the pass to the inspector who'll print you a ticket if you need it to pass the station gates like in connoly

ElleEm wrote: »
    I went to Belfast before and they gave me a ticket with a return date of up to a month.

I asked for one before and I was told to just get another ticket when returning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

ElleEm wrote: »

You can get singles, days returns and monthly returns when going cross border.

Just singles and day returns traveling within the RoI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Dont be getting overly excited there about social welfare inspectors trawling the public transport network seeking out those who have travelled beyond an expiry date you think might now be included on any pass! That specified period was always part of the criteria for issue of all passes not just the companion pass and the specified period is usually described as being for as long as the person is in receipt of a qualifying payment.

As for the Single/Return ticket saga, this has been going on for years with Irish Rail massaging the figures so they can claim more people have travelled than is the case!

Not a hint of excitement at all.....;)

The beauty of the chipped "Smart" DSP Card is that it can be individually modified or tailored to suit a variety of scenario's.

Thus,for example,the DSP can automatically remove,via a hot-listing process, the "Companion" status from a Pass Holder deemed to no longer require it.

This is a totally new system and situation which,in time,will prove to be a game changer in how our Social Welfare Services are administered.

A new era dawning :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Its a step nearer anyone wanting to use the trains having a card

Will be a huge step up in safety and security - no card - no business being inside the barriers

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Not a hint of excitement at all.....;)

The beauty of the chipped "Smart" DSP Card is that it can be individually modified or tailored to suit a variety of scenario's.

Thus,for example,the DSP can automatically remove,via a hot-listing process, the "Companion" status from a Pass Holder deemed to no longer require it.

This is a totally new system and situation which,in time,will prove to be a game changer in how our Social Welfare Services are administered.

A new era dawning :)

For a pass holder to be deemed to "no longer require it" they would have to be completely reassessed medically which can take upwards of one year then they have the appeals process which takes more time and most decisions taken by the social welfare "civil servant" doctors are overturned on appeal as more emphasis is placed on the persons own doctors reports instead of some retired doctor who gets paid hundreds per consultation plus massive expenses just to fail people without even examining them.

For a pass holder to be deemed to "no longer require it" they would have to be completely reassessed medically which can take upwards of one year then they have the appeals process which takes more time and most decisions taken by the social welfare "civil servant" doctors are overturned on appeal as more emphasis is placed on the persons own doctors reports instead of some retired doctor who gets paid hundreds per consultation plus massive expenses just to fail people without even examining them.

I can imagine the chip pass will be deactivated if it's stolen or they indeed are deemed to no longer need it so they don't keep using them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

For a pass holder to be deemed to "no longer require it" they would have to be completely reassessed medically which can take upwards of one year
    Unless they die ..... I'd say there are many passes of deceased people in use, due to the ridiculous lack of a photograph on the non city passes.

• Advertisement

As for the Single/Return ticket saga, this has been going on for years with Irish Rail massaging the figures so they can claim more people have travelled than is the case![/QUOTE]

Any proof of that or is it just a random accusation?

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Not a month return. And you don't need to get a ticket just flash the pass to the inspector who'll print you a ticket if you need it to pass the station gates like in connoly

What inspector will print you a ticket? You need to get a ticket before boarding on all commuter and intercity services. You dont on the dart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Policy is single or day return only to minimise the fraud risk.

The DSFA do not pay per number carried (if they they did Irish Rail would likely not be in the serious financial mess it is in).

The Northern Irish authorities insist on absolute 100% accountability, every journey is counted. That's why the warrant has to be completed to account for the journey.

What inspector will print you a ticket? You need to get a ticket before boarding on all commuter and intercity services. You dont on the dart.

The ticket inspectors on the trains always have a portable ticket machine. Next time I'm on the train I'll ask him to pose for a photo

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Unless they die ..... I'd say there are many passes of deceased people in use, due to the ridiculous lack of a photograph on the non city passes.

Wexford Bus and Bus Eireann (occasionally irish rail) ask me for I.D with my pass and when travelling

The ticket inspectors on the trains always have a portable ticket machine. Next time I'm on the train I'll ask him to pose for a photo

You still need to get a ticket before boarding unless the booking office is closed and then you can get one on the train if a checker is on it and then they will issue you a ticket not print one out for you. They have ticket machines not printers :)
    Telling people that they dont need one is misinformation.

Flash the pass?? :)

Any proof of that or is it just a random accusation?

Most IE staff when asked for a train ticket will issue a return ticket(2 journeys) even though the pass holder will most likely not be returning by train on the same day or the last return train is so they have to return by bus.

This is not creating a true or accurate figure of people travelling. It should be single tickets only at all times.

Peppa Pig wrote: »

A lot of passes have been confiscated from those not entitled to use them mainly companion and spouse/partner passes. People give them to friends and family members to use to go to school or work. When it gets confiscated they complain that it shouldnt have been because the person is their carer or son or daughter and didnt know that they werent allowed to use it and now want it back. From personal experience ive learnt that those that are on the free travel are the ones that complain the most . Some think that once they have that pass its give them some sort of power and that they can do what they want.

SOME is the key word there folks before some pass holders attack me ;).

Most IE staff when asked for a train ticket will issue a return ticket(2 journeys) even though the pass holder will most likely not be returning by train on the same day or the last return train is so they have to return by bus.

This is not creating a true or accurate figure of people travelling. It should be single tickets only at all times.

Did a survey on this Foggy?

Single tickets? would you prefer to queue up twice?

• Advertisement

You still need to get a ticket before boarding unless the booking office is closed and then you can get one on the train if a checker is on it and then they will issue you a ticket not print one out for you. They have ticket machines not printers :)
    Telling people that they dont need one is misinformation.

Flash the pass?? :)
    I've often gotten on with my free pass and not gotten a ticket at the office because I was going to miss the train. They don't need one boarding if they have a DSP free travel pass, you need one otherwise.

That's bollox. Every time I asked for my ticket they give me a single unless I ask for a return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I've often gotten on with my free pass and not gotten a ticket at the office because I was going to miss the train. They don't need one boarding if they have a DSP free travel pass, you need one otherwise.

You are liable for a fine, if you meet RPU staff!
    That's bollox. Every time I asked for my ticket they give me a single unless I ask for a return

Correct. In fact I know somebody who didn't know they could issue day return tickets and they spent years having to purchase two tickets in one day.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    You are liable for a fine, if you meet RPU staff!

Correct. In fact I know somebody who didn't know they could issue day return tickets and spend years having to purchase two tickets in one day.

Hardly when my pass is my own? It entitles me to free travel never said I need to obtain a ticket before boarding and I've never ran into issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hardly when my pass is my own? It entitles me to free travel never said I need to obtain a ticket before boarding and I've never ran into issues

Irish Rail's byelaws require you to have a ticket, regardless of whether that ticket's given to you for free or not.

Yes you do. Only on the Dart that you dont.

• Advertisement

And if the ticket office is closed I do what? Walk home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The byelaws have allowances for there being no ticket office open; but not for not bothering to get one because you were running late.

MYOB wrote: »
    The byelaws have allowances for there being no ticket office open; but not for not bothering to get one because you were running late.

I've never been asked to clarify why I do not have a ticket, whether it is due to there being noone in the office or the office being closed. I have mostly just been issued them on the train.

I already mentioned that in an earlier post ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 sascoser

Hi all,
    I was just wondering does anyone know where I can get a train pass as my partner has been diagnosed with epilepsy and he cant drive now for a year.
    If anyone knows could you let me know.

Thanks.

Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sascoser

Hi Fred
    Thanks very much for that. will look into that.

Thanks again

Sarah :)

sascoser wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I was just wondering does anyone know where I can get a train pass as my partner has been diagnosed with epilepsy and he cant drive now for a year.
    If anyone knows could you let me know.

Thanks.

Sarah
    Your partner would have to be getting certain payments from the department of social and family affairs.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/204_Free-Travel.aspx
    You may be entitled to free travel if you are permanently living in the State and:
    • You are aged 66 or over
    • You are getting Disability Allowance, Blind Pension, Carer's Allowance or an Invalidity Pension from the Department of Social Protection.
    • You have been getting Incapacity Supplement or Workmen's Compensation with Disablement Pension for at least 12 months
    • You are blind or visually impaired and meet the medical conditions for Blind Pension
    • You are a specified carer for a person getting Constant Attendance Allowance or Prescribed Relatives Allowance from the Department
    • You are getting a social security invalidity payment, or similar payment, from another EU member state or from a country with which Ireland has a bilateral social security agreement for at least 12 months
    • You are a widow or widower or a surviving civil partner aged 60 or over whose late spouse/civil partner held a free travel pass and who is getting one of the following payments: State Pension (Transition), Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Partner's (Contributory) Pension, Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Partner's (Non-Contributory) Pension, One-Parent Family Payment, Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Partner's Pension under the Occupational Injuries Benefit Scheme or a similar social security pension/benefit from an EU member state or a country with which Ireland has a bilateral social security agreement, or an ordinary Garda widow's pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭steveblack

If you want a free travel pass, all you need is a hard neck.
    Im a dublin bus driver , had a friend i know from school using the bus route i drive, shock horror i would let him on for free!
    Then one day a few months ago he gets on the bus and flashes a pass. I say to him how the hell did you get one of them! (Know for a fact he is as healthy as a horse).

He told me he is out of work at the moment, and as a previously employed tax payer he was looking into everything he could claim, nothing wrong with that.
    Well being unemployed and in the local post office queue he met a friend.
    Long Story short, the friend told him go to doctor and claim you are a alcoholic.
    That's all it takes to be put on disability.
    Of course when you get a Job and go back to work your medical records are sealed.
    This alcoholic period of your life never happened.
    The Free Travel Pass has no expire date. Once you have it its for life.

It takes 12- 18 months to get disability and it takes more than a letter from a gp.
    Travel passes aren't for life been a bus driver you should be well informed that the passes are been replaced with a smart pass and will be tracked, if your no longer in receipt of a DSP payment your pass will no longer be valid much like a leap card

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭steveblack

Gatling wrote: »
    It takes 12- 18 months to get disability and it takes more than a letter from a gp.
    Travel passes aren't for life been a bus driver you should be well informed that the passes are been replaced with a smart pass and will be tracked, if your no longer in receipt of a DSP payment your pass will no longer be valid much like a leap card

The country has been in a recession for more than 12 months, people who want to work have been unemployed for longer.
    Who said anything about the old "corn flake box/Beer mat" free travel pass?
    Oh Yes the free travel pass in no longer valid when you go back to work,
    people are suppose to give it back to the DSP. As if that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

The new cards do have an expire date if free travel got mine Dec 2013 and it expires Dec 2020 bit to long IMO .
    Also any time I used train I always issued with a return 1 and most often furture then I want most recent being 2 days ago asked for Ashtown was given a return to Maynooth.

As for having a ticket before boarding thats up in air last week went to get my ticket and 3 inspecters dealing with some one they caught at the barrier with no ticket told me go ahead I dont need 1 when tried buy 1 from them as office closed.
    I wud normally be at station lest 5mins before train due to buy ticket and depends which guy on (same reg 1s) its a go ahead,a return 1 or 1 future then I asked.
    To the bus driver who said no expire date have a closer look at bottom of the new 1s they do but its to long and I say it as a holder of FTP

Th3B1tcH wrote: »
    The new cards do have an expire date if free travel got mine Dec 2013 and it expires Dec 2020 bit to long IMO .
    Also any time I used train I always issued with a return 1 and most often furture then I want most recent being 2 days ago asked for Ashtown was given a return to Maynooth.

As for having a ticket before boarding thats up in air last week went to get my ticket and 3 inspecters dealing with some one they caught at the barrier with no ticket told me go ahead I dont need 1 when tried buy 1 from them as office closed.
    I wud normally be at station lest 5mins before train due to buy ticket and depends which guy on (same reg 1s) its a go ahead,a return 1 or 1 future then I asked.
    To the bus driver who said no expire date have a closer look at bottom of the new 1s they do but its to long and I say it as a holder of FTP

But when you stop receiving a DSP payment your card becomes invalid and will probably be deactivated when the system is fully up and running so yes it may say valid till 2020 that doesn't mean you get to use the card till 2020 if your circumstances change the validly of your card will too

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jonty107

Can your children travel free with you if you have a free travel pass?

• Advertisement
Advertisement