Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keano Vieira documentary: mod warning post in OP and post #331

Comments

I know he didn't actually end his career with that tackle( he had knee problems pre that tackle I think) but am I right in thinking Haaland never played a full game after that?

EDIT, only seen your post now MB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Settle what? A difference of opinion?

My post was in Alan Partridge-style jest Brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I know he didn't actually end his career with that tackle( he had knee problems pre that tackle I think) but am I right in thinking Haaland never played a full game after that?

EDIT, only seen your post now MB

Does him finishing the match that he was actually fouled in count?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I cant believe that people think Haaland in any way deserved what he got.

Watch the footage of the Leeds v United game in 1997. Haaland is seeing the ball out. Keane knows he isn't getting it and deliberately kicks at Haaland and trips him from behind.

Haaland gets up and sees the person who cynically and deliberately kicked him rolling on the ground. He assumes Keane is feigning injury to avoid a booking and gives Keane abuse. Is that an unreasonable response? He didn't and couldn't have known Keane was seriously injured and was incensed by Keane's cynicism. Ive also never heard that he laughed at Keane as one poster claims and that doesn't appear to be the case from the footage.

How is that deserving of a challenge that was knee high, full force with studs showing? Deluded to claim it was.

It's also worth pointing out that Keane has admitted he was annoyed by his performance against Leeds in that game because he was still suffering the ill effects of a drinking session 2 days before that match. That in itself is kind of at odds with his "fail to prepare" image...

Keane inflected that injury on himself through his cynicism and lack of professionalism. Haaland did little if anything wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Really good Documentary IMO.

Both guys seemed open and relaxed.

Awful to see the massive deterioration in respect between Ferguson and Keane (regardless of what respect was there in the first place, to have a manager for 12 years and to have a complete lack of a relationship is sad IMO).

Good footage, good banter and good questions asked for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Seriously, you haven't a clue.

If you did you'd know it's Alf's other knee that stopped him from playing football, and I don't know how Keane assaulted that unless he has a voodoo doll of Alf.

oh right, thats ok then. its fine that he assaulted him so.
    #whatalegend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Tbf keane was a fcuking coward for what he done to halland(however you spell it) if it was a 50 50 challenge or a head on tackle maybe he might have a leg to stand on( no pun intended) but to go out headhunting a fellow pro like that looking to do maximum damage and the way he did it, i mean to ruin a guys career, fcuking pathetic really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Tbf keane was a fcuking coward for what he done to halland(however you spell it) if it was a 50 50 challenge or a head on tackle maybe he might have a leg to stand on( no pun intended) but to go out headhunting a fellow pro like that looking to do maximum damage and the way he did it, i mean to ruin a guys career, fcuking pathetic really
    Says the keyboard warrior? He didnt ruin his career he played the rest of the match and more, keane kicked his right knee he got surgery on his left. Do a small bit of research into what happened and you might know the full story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

:pac:

I hope all saying it was an assault reported it to the police..

You know what they say, if you don't report it you're just as bad as the perpetrator

case885 wrote: »
    Says the keyboard warrior? He didnt ruin his career he played the rest of the match and more, keane kicked his right knee he got surgery on his left. Do a small bit of research into what happened and you might know the full story.

True or not, the challenge was a potential career wrecker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

DeanAustin wrote: »
    True or not, the challenge was a potential career wrecker.

Could have been worse, kung-fu kick to the head :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

case885 wrote: »

Im no keyboard warrior mate, he went out to intentionally cause harm to a fellow pro and did it in a cowardly manner, that makes him a coward in my eyes wether you like it or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

You know what they say, if you don't report it you're just as bad as the perpetrator

Its all a joke when it was good old keane did it, but if it was gerrard or suarez on a utd player you would go **** ape. I cant beleive some utd fans are on here playing it down.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

YEAH LOL! it was totally cool for keane to do it and anyone that says otherwise doesnt have their facts straight and is a complete hater.
    ---

i honestly cant believe people are defending the haaland incident. oh internet, I really do wonder...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    A thread about keane thats deviding opinion?! Never!

A little intro here, im not irish nor am i a man united or city supporter ... , not an abu but respect keane for the player he was but detest him for the evil/thuggery in his game...

This is my opinion on the haagland challange from keane

Keane was asked would he change anything about the incident and said no, that he's never gone out to injure any one just to hurt them

In my opinion, hurt some one is with hard fair challenges of which keane has delivered many, going for the ball an (inadvertently ) catching the man, etc, i think it shifts from trying to hurt to trying to injure when there is clear intent in the challange, keane did not go for the ball instead went for the chaps knee, how does any sane stable peson reckon an action(dare i say assult) like that isnt intentionally aiming to injure an oponent!?

Loved the show last night tho!
    In Wales recently a man was convicted for attempting to rape babies. That, my friend, is evil.

Nothing Keane did on the football field (or indeed off it) comes anywhere close to "evil".

If by "evil" you mean: a) reckless challenges b) stamps c) attempted punches d) intimidating refs ...

then we've got a list of as long as your arm of evil in football and sport in general. In rugby some of our national treasures are evil by your definition. At some point or other Paul O' Connell has been sent off for punches, even the great Bull Hayes got done for stamping, the legendary BOD has thrown punches and stamps.....

In football, you may as well include every single player up til the 1980s. Certainly every member of the great Leeds sides and effectively every other player in the top flight.

Keane picked up 11 red cards for United:

Stamps - 2 - Southgate and Vitor Baia

Reckless Challenges - 2 - Poyet and Haaland

Red Mist - 3 - McAteer (elbow), Shearer (attempted punch), and one v Middlesbrough 1995 (attempted punch).

Two Bookings - 4 - Blackburn (1995), Southampton (1996), Arsenal (1999), Newcastle (2000)

Given he made 326 appearances for United, when you take out the 2-bookables and attempted punches, he only really had a handful of incidents which were "thuggish". Southgate, Baia, McAteer, Haaland.

2 of those were straight up revenge. Which doesn't excuse it but at least there's a reason attached beyond pure lunacy.

I'm not, and wouldn't, try justify Keanes disciplinary record. Not at all. But what i will do is defend against the lazy assumptions made by people over the years that the guy was a pure thug and hatchet man. Nothing could be further from the truth. In 330 odd games he only truly lost the plot 4 times. Most of the great players lose the head. They live on the edge. They play on the edge. Name any of the great central midfielders of the past few decades and they all had the red mist. Stevie G. Keane. Vieira. Ince. Even Scholes and Rooney have downright nasty streaks in them.

What they are not is: "evil". Evil is the deplorable filth we heard coming out of that trial in Wales.

Keane was a fantastic footballer. His passing was sublime, his range of passing under-rated, he had a good strike on him, very good touch, control, was decent in the air, could at various times in his career have performed on the right wing, behind the strikers, in central midfield and ultimately as a deep lying DM and makeshift centre-half at a push.

He was a fantastic footballer. Simple as that. Patrick Vieira, to my mind, was every bit his equal. Sublime footballer, great touch, great engine, good passing range, could strike a great ball.

Neither of them are evil. Neither of them are thugs.

Totally committed winners who played on the edge and sometimes "lost it".

There is so much downright evil in this world and it's an absolute insult to the intelligence to associate that word with the likes of Keane, Vieira, BOD, Paul O' Connell or so many top sportsmen who play on the edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Great doc, love keano.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Really good Documentary IMO.

Both guys seemed open and relaxed.

Awful to see the massive deterioration in respect between Ferguson and Keane (regardless of what respect was there in the first place, to have a manager for 12 years and to have a complete lack of a relationship is sad IMO).

Good footage, good banter and good questions asked for the most part.

Yeah terribly sad to see the deterioration in the relationship between Fergie and Keano.I always believed Keane considered Fergie to be nearly like a father figure.Fergie I am pretty sure saw a younger version of himself in Keane on and off the pitch.
    Keane was Fergie's enforcer on and off the pitch,without doubt Keane did lose some level of respect for Fergie as he mellowed and let things go he would'nt have in the past.
    Read Fergie's autobiography,honest as ever.Much of the salacious pieces are'nt that groundbreaking,disappointed he brought it out soon after retiring simply for the money when he knew the hurt he would cause.Keane is right to question Fergie's loyalty,a quality Fergie always considered so important.It is quite obvious Keane is hurting badly.
    Find it hard to get my head around Keane picking Clough as the top manager considering he was only a shadow of his great self,although he has always stuck with this line.
    Hopefully there can be a reconciliation at some stage.

In Wales recently a man was convicted for attempting to rape babies. That, my friend, is evil.

Nothing Keane did on the football field (or indeed off it) comes anywhere close to "evil".

If by "evil" you mean: a) reckless challenges b) stamps c) attempted punches d) intimidating refs ...

then we've got a list of as long as your arm of evil in football and sport in general. In rugby some of our national treasures are evil by your definition. At some point or other Paul O' Connell has been sent off for punches, even the great Bull Hayes got done for stamping, the legendary BOD has thrown punches and stamps.....

In football, you may as well include every single player up til the 1980s. Certainly every member of the great Leeds sides and effectively every other player in the top flight.

Keane picked up 11 red cards for United:

Stamps - 2 - Southgate and Vitor Baia

Reckless Challenges - 2 - Poyet and Haaland

Red Mist - 3 - McAteer (elbow), Shearer (attempted punch), and one v Middlesbrough 1995 (attempted punch).

Two Bookings - 4 - Blackburn (1995), Southampton (1996), Arsenal (1999), Newcastle (2000)

Given he made 326 appearances for United, when you take out the 2-bookables and attempted punches, he only really had a handful of incidents which were "thuggish". Southgate, Baia, McAteer, Haaland.

2 of those were straight up revenge. Which doesn't excuse it but at least there's a reason attached beyond pure lunacy.

I'm not, and wouldn't, try justify Keanes disciplinary record. Not at all. But what i will do is defend against the lazy assumptions made by people over the years that the guy was a pure thug and hatchet man. Nothing could be further from the truth. In 330 odd games he only truly lost the plot 4 times. Most of the great players lose the head. They live on the edge. They play on the edge. Name any of the great central midfielders of the past few decades and they all had the red mist. Stevie G. Keane. Vieira. Ince. Even Scholes and Rooney have downright nasty streaks in them.

What they are not is: "evil". Evil is the deplorable filth we heard coming out of that trial in Wales.

Keane was a fantastic footballer. His passing was sublime, his range of passing under-rated, he had a good strike on him, very good touch, control, was decent in the air, could at various times in his career have performed on the right wing, behind the strikers, in central midfield and ultimately as a deep lying DM and makeshift centre-half at a push.

He was a fantastic footballer. Simple as that. Patrick Vieira, to my mind, was every bit his equal. Sublime footballer, great touch, great engine, good passing range, could strike a great ball.

Neither of them are evil. Neither of them are thugs.

Totally committed winners who played on the edge and sometimes "lost it".

There is so much downright evil in this world and it's an absolute insult to the intelligence to associate that word with the likes of Keane, Vieira, BOD, Paul O' Connell or so many top sportsmen who play on the edge.

What Keane did to Haaland and to a lesser extent McAteer has very little to do with "living on the edge" and it's only muddying the waters to equate what Keane did with anything BOD, Paul O'Connell or even Zidane did.

Things happen in contact sports that see the red mist descend and people react. That's part and parcel of sport. Sometimes it's not right but it's human to, in the heat of the moment, react to something. Keane's stamp on Southgate is an example. Southgate'e tackle was late, dangerous and stupid and Keane reacted. It wasn't right but it was understandable.

The difference with Haaland (and McAteer) is that Keane had been planning it for years. It was pre-meditated. There was no "red-mist" in what could have been a career wrecking challenge. What he did, in sporting terms, was the lowest of the low. I wouldn't call it evil, I would call it unprofessional, nasty and the act of a scumbag that has no place on a football field or in any civil society.

I don't like Roy Keane. But I can look at him and marvel at the talent he had and the performances he produced. He was an incredible player. Turin in 1999 and Holland in 2001 were incredible examples of him displaying a bloody minded determination to win regardless of what went on around him. However, if people on the other side of the fence cannot be objective enough to admit that what he did to Haaland was unjustified and a pretty nasty thing to do, then they are letting their bias cloud their judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Just watched the documentary, it's nice to see Keane has calmed down and it looks like he had a bit of fun doing it. I don't think he said much wrong either, Ferguson has had a few pops at him and he had a few back.

Also watching another clip when Roy was commenting on a game and he was asked about Ferguson's quotes and Ian Wright was laughing like an idiot, the old Keane probably would have smacked him.

However I still think Keane has a questionable character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Looks to be a massive cringe-fest going by the clip RTE showed last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I can see the Dubs hatred of Ireland's greatest player ever is still as strong as ever. If only he was from Glasnevin, eh lads?

I'm from Dublin, a Liverpool fan, and Keane is my favourite player of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

I don't like Roy Keane. But I can look at him and marvel at the talent he had and the performances he produced. He was an incredible player.

You don't say! :)
    The difference with Haaland (and McAteer) is that Keane had been planning it for years. It was pre-meditated. There was no "red-mist" in what could have been a career wrecking challenge. What he did, in sporting terms, was the lowest of the low. I wouldn't call it evil, I would call it unprofessional, nasty and the act of a scumbag that has no place on a football field or in any civil society.

Pre-meditated. I seriously doubt Keane had worked out exactly how he was going to 'whack' Haaland. He was determined to get a chance to rough him up. It's something he mentioned in the doc. He went to hurt players, not injure them. It's not pretty but it's a reasonable distinction.

I would argue that this is absolutely no different to loads of other grudges in contact sport. Maybe less so today but certainly back in the day making sure you got a few hits against a bitter personal opponent was par for the course.

Keane's tackle was spectacularly bad taste. A weird thigh high kung fun piece of crap. And painful. And he deserved to be sent off and punished. But just look at youtube to see a whole host of seriously dangerous shin high 'leg breaker'/two footed tackles from players who were never decried to the same degree as Keane. Tackles that were the result of grudges, of players with niggles against each other.

As has been noted earlier in this thread, Keane's actual disciplinary record in terms of cards (rather than people's perceptions of it) wasn't that spectacular.

Keane's problem was that he tried to play the media game and talk it up - both as a way to boost his reputation and make a few quid. Whereas other players would just keep quiet.

In terms of the documentary, I really enjoyed it. I loved Keane as a player but he became an increasingly cantankerous bore in the years that followed. Particularly as his management career floundered due to his lack of skills.

However, I really enjoy him as a pundit. And I thought that himself and Vieira had a really good chemistry between them.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm from Dublin, a Liverpool fan, and Keane is my favourite player of all time.

Same

Not my favorite player but would be one of them. Great attitude on the pitch. It still annoys me that Liverpool didn't try to sign him from Forest :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Great show and was enthralled through it, but does nothing to change my opinion of the man that Keane is.

"I could have played for United for a few more years"....no...he really couldn't. Keanes powers were dwindling and if he wasn't marched out he would have been moved on from the first team soon enough.

As someone previously said, pure consumed by bitterness and has clearly not been able to move on from it. Has become nothing but a laughing stock and pantomime act for me now, which is a pity considering he was a warrior on the field.

I'm looking forward to the day where I don't have to hear some attention seeking headline from Keane. It's not honesty or "blunt", it's being a little attention seeker looking to stay relevant in football when his time has long past.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Its all a joke when it was good old keane did it, but if it was gerrard or suarez on a utd player you would go **** ape. I cant beleive some utd fans are on here playing it down.

Stop making bullshít assumptions of what I would or wouldn't do it makes you look foolish.

If Gerrard did it I'd do the same as I do now, say it's a bad thing to do, but I'd probably do the same in a situation similar.

Assault? Coward?
    Lol that's just idiotic.

And are you seriously suggesting Gerrard has never missed the ball and gone for the player? Seriously? You are deluded if so, and yet I'm not bringing up examples of that and calling it assault or Gerrard a coward because it happens all the time in football

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

And after all that hard man stuff over the years it was a tackle for Luis Garcia that ended his United career.:D

Is the documentary any good anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Stop making bullshít assumptions of what I would or wouldn't do it makes you look foolish.

If Gerrard did it I'd do the same as I do now, say it's a bad thing to do, but I'd probably do the same in a situation similar.

Assault? Coward?
    Lol that's just idiotic.

And are you seriously suggesting Gerrard has never missed the ball and gone for the player? Seriously? You are deluded if so, and yet I'm not bringing up examples of that and calling it assault or Gerrard a coward because it happens all the time in football

Always liked Roy Keane, but to defend him over that tackle is ludicrous, i am sure 99% of all midfielders, combatative ones for sure have gone for challenges that are over the top and sometimes borderline assault - BUT - how many of them premeditated these actions? how many allowed it stew in their minds for a year or more and chose their revenge so calculating? That is a huge difference that seperates that tackle from practically all others. He went onto that pitch that day intending to give Haaland a good hiding ... and he delivered in spectacular fashion.

Stop defending the undefendable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Is the documentary any good anyway?

Its basically a Roy Keane documentary with bits of Patrick Vieira thrown in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Keane tackle on Haaland talk stops here. Making a Keane tackle on Haaland into a Liverpool vs United debate will most definitely not be tolerated. This is the final warning ye are getting on this.

Nerdlingr wrote: »

ITV are basically cashing in on the fact that they got Keane on their books and he uses his dislike for Ferguson to critisize United especially at a time when they are struggling. Of course, Keane delivers in spades. Well worth a watch alright.

Keane said nothing critical of United whatsoever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nerdlingr wrote: »

Thats my biggest criticism with the programme, I would have liked to have seen a bit more Viera and what he thought of his team mates and manager. What did Viera really think of Bergkamp not flying? What did he think about the drinking culture that the likes of Tony Adams once had? How did he get on with Martin Keown behind the scenes, things like that.

Instead it was all Roy Keane. Though I suspect it may also have been because Viera was less likely to criticise his old team.

ITV are basically cashing in on the fact that they got Keane on their books and he uses his dislike for Ferguson to critisize United especially at a time when they are struggling. Of course, Keane delivers in spades. Well worth a watch alright.

As a United supporter, I have no problem with what Keane says either in the documentary or what I've seen as him as a pundit.

And he is perfectly entitled to an opinion of Ferguson that isn't fawning adoration.

Given what they achieved together, it's sad they don't have any respect for one another. But it is what it is.

And, incidentally, his opinion that Ferguson remaining on as a director after managing the club for 26 years is a bad idea is one that most people agree with.

Thats my biggest criticism with the programme, I would have liked to have seen a bit more Viera and what he thought of his team mates and manager. What did Viera really think of Bergkamp not flying? What did he think about the drinking culture that the likes of Tony Adams once had? How did he get on with Martin Keown behind the scenes, things like that.

Instead it was all Roy Keane. Though I suspect it may also have been because Viera was less likely to criticise his old team.

A bit disappointed with that as well. They could really have made a longer documentary or maybe three parts and gone more into Vieira's background and his relationship with team mates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Spot on. would have loved to see more Viera but Keane has that must view quality, doesnt matter if you like him or not but theres something about him that makes fascinating viewing. I think its the fact that even if he gets asked the most simple of questions your never sure what kind of response you will get. fwiw I wouldnt be his biggest fan but still find him interesting and thought the documentary was very good

TheDoc wrote: »
    Great show and was enthralled through it, but does nothing to change my opinion of the man that Keane is.

"I could have played for United for a few more years"....no...he really couldn't. Keanes powers were dwindling and if he wasn't marched out he would have been moved on from the first team soon enough.

As someone previously said, pure consumed by bitterness and has clearly not been able to move on from it. Has become nothing but a laughing stock and pantomime act for me now, which is a pity considering he was a warrior on the field.

I'm looking forward to the day where I don't have to hear some attention seeking headline from Keane. It's not honesty or "blunt", it's being a little attention seeker looking to stay relevant in football when his time has long past.

Hmm, don't know about that now. He absolutely could have contributed positively to the squad through the end of that season.

Bear in mind that it was only two months since a World Class performance against France and - as he said himself in the doc - his last game was away at Anfield where he got the better of Gerrard in the middle on the day before coming off. When he was on the pitch for Celtic he was brilliant, including a man of the match performance in an Old Firm derby.

He wasn't going to play 50 games a season, but used correctly he would have been a great asset for another 18 months and offered tactical options for European games, etc.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Hmm, don't know about that now. He absolutely could have contributed positively to the squad through the end of that season.

Bear in mind that it was only two months since a World Class performance against France and - as he said himself in the doc - his last game was away at Anfield where he got the better of Gerrard in the middle on the day before coming off. When he was on the pitch for Celtic he was brilliant, including a man of the match performance in an Old Firm derby.

He wasn't going to play 50 games a season, but used correctly he would have been a great asset for another 18 months and offered tactical options for European games, etc.

Injury wise he was finished though and I think everybody knew that at the time. He only lasted 6 months with Celtic because of it, and I can't see how he would have lasted 18 months at United, even if it was a much reduced role.

More to the point, I suspect Fergie wouldn't have let him go at all if he didn't suspect he was already done, regardless of any MUTV interview.

Injury wise he was finished though and I think everybody knew that at the time. He only lasted 6 months with Celtic because of it, and I can't see how he would have lasted 18 months at United, even if it was a much reduced role.

More to the point, I suspect Fergie wouldn't have let him go at all if he didn't suspect he was already done, regardless of any MUTV interview.

He chose not to push it any further after six months at Celtic. I think he may very well have made a more negative long term health choice to continue at Utd. It wasn't worth it to him at Celtic. Hindsight is a funny thing. He'd played 43 games the previous season (on top of Irish qualification games) and had played six times before he broke his foot. His performance level was still good. There was more in the tank if it was wanted.

It wasn't wanted because Ferguson was rebuilding the squad and team. Keane was a casualty of a three year transition process, he wasn't the only one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

quad_red wrote: »
    As a United supporter, I have no problem with what Keane says either in the documentary or what I've seen as him as a pundit.

And he is perfectly entitled to an opinion of Ferguson that isn't fawning adoration.

Given what they achieved together, it's sad they don't have any respect for one another. But it is what it is.

And, incidentally, his opinion that Ferguson remaining on as a director after managing the club for 26 years is a bad idea is one that most people agree with.

Yeah of all the things that i wasn't 100% that Keane was actually telling the truth on - there were a few valid points made - Ferguson remaining as director being one and the that Ferguson suing Magnier (One of the directors at the club) having a negative effect on the club was the other.

Viera - Wengers trust in his players being his biggest and worst attribute. interesting comment.

viera - Wengers trust in his players being his biggest and worst attribute. interesting comment.

Yeah, I would have liked to see him elaborate on that, he obviously thinks there were some that abused that trust, or that needed a different style of management.

Yeah, I would have liked to see him elaborate on that, he obviously thinks there were some that abused that trust, or that needed a different style of management.

Bendtner is a prime example

It's very good, a joy to watch them both.

Fergie V Wenger would be great

Very few other player rivalries caught the attention like this one, as someone mentioned earlier it would be hard to get two players together like that who are suitable. Im sure you could go back to the eighties for plenty of fierce rivalries but this one is more interesting because it wasnt that long ago and is still fresh in the mind.
    Wenger V Fergie would be good though

Keane v Fergie

The ultimate Best of Enemies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

kryogen wrote: »
    Keane v Fergie

The ultimate Best of Enemies

In managerial terms, absolutely.

I can't really think of major rivalries, certainly in modern times that wouldn't pale in comparison to Keano and Viera.

Schmeichel and Ian Wright seemed to have a particular level of animosity goin together though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Schmeichel and Ian Wright seemed to have a particular level of animosity goin together though.

They seemed to get on alright with each other when doing the punditry for the BBC. Surprised really, given there was Suarez/Evra style accusations being thrown around the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Just watched it there and enjoyed it. I think they both had similar screen time but people remember the Keane stuff more.

As an Arsenal fan, Vieira will always be a legend and it is sad to see him working at Manchester City instead of Arsenal now. It always annoyed me when Arsenal fans who believe every kind of nonsense in the papers, booing Vieira when he returned to Arsenal. It was Arsenal who were disloyal to Vieira, accepting a bid for him as Vieira said in the documentary. This trend continued for a few years, Arsenal accepting bids for our best players and the players taking the flack for it, often getting booed when they returned (Adebayor, Toure, Cole, Nasri) - I've never had anything against these players and always blamed the board.

At the time in the media, there were all kinds of stories about Vieria wanting to leave; all complete nonsense, probably leaked by the board to protect themselves.

An example of this kind of nonsense:

http://www.arsenalvision.co.uk/articles/4085-why-patrick-vieira-is-an-arsenal-legend-no-more.html

If Vieria really only cared about money, he could have left before. There were plenty of offers, with much more money involved. But he stayed almost nine years at Arsenal - as loyal as loyal could be. Of course, the cynical Arsenal fans will say he was lying last night about his love for the club and only leaving because the club accepted an offer for him; but then why did he stay as long as he did?

He'll always be a hero to me anyway. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Vieira was always a hero to me too, but no doubt he always wanted the move, wanted Madrid every summer, i think he was hurt he just ended up at Juve.

• Advertisement
Advertisement