Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The state of Irelands Broadband Infrastructure

• 05-12-2013 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Where to begin .......
    I live 10 minutes outside of Tullamore which is one of the biggest towns in the midlands. I cant get any broadband through the phone line, no availability with wireless, and terrible mobile connection. So what other option did I have other than satellite. Over 100 a month for "up to" 20 mb/s connection and 6 mb/s upload. On average the speed is 0.5 to 1.5 download and 4 upload. In 2013 can anyone tell me how this is acceptable. Will this country ever move into the future and invest in infrastructure in rural Ireland because its not just cities that have people living in them :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Tooway XXL

Super fast 20Mb Broadband
    Broadband Anywhere
    Over 150 times faster than dial-up
    Always available
    Order today and get setup within 10 days
    up to 20 Mb Download Speed
    monthly 50 GB Data Allowance

Monthly costs: €111.95
    Once off set up fee: 99.95

Is this what you have OP ? Someone said in the other thread why bother when the stragglers can get satellite. Satellite shouldnt be an option, its nothing short of extortion tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

Is this what you have OP ? Someone said in the other thread why bother when the stragglers can get satellite. Satellite shouldnt be an option, its nothing short of extortion tbh.

Yeah thats the one. If anyone is considering it don't its terrible and generally a 900ms ping thats if it even works at all. Digiweb say its contention and nothing they can do and no other alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

shane7218 wrote: »
    Yeah thats the one. If anyone is considering it don't its terrible and generally a 900ms ping thats if it even works at all. Digiweb say its contention and nothing they can do and no other alternatives.

I hear ya Shane7218. We are 25 minutes from Tullamore, Athlone and Ballinasloe and stuck the broadband equivalent of the Bermuda bloody triangle.

Luckily we do have Ripplecom which delivers a decent download albeit with contention but to be fair is consistent and allows for non buffered YouTube etc. but recently I have noticed even the 70Gb allowance is gobbled up by the end of the month incurring additional charges.

Roll on the ESB fibre to the guys outside the cities....reckon it's the last hope for non urbanites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

About 6 miles from Mallow town here an there is "no plans" for eircom or any other network to move away from dial up :( .. I have now taken it for granted that we will never get line broadband in any shape or form.

I hear ya Shane7218. We are 25 minutes from Tullamore, Athlone and Ballinasloe and stuck the broadband equivalent of the Bermuda bloody triangle.

Luckily we do have Ripplecom which delivers a decent download albeit with contention but to be fair is consistent and allows for non buffered YouTube etc. but recently I have noticed even the 70Gb allowance is gobbled up by the end of the month incurring additional charges.

Roll on the ESB fibre to the guys outside the cities....reckon it's the last hope for non urbanites.

Yeah I know how you feel. I tried ripplecom but no joy :( ... Hopefully your right

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    About 6 miles from Mallow town here an there is "no plans" for eircom or any other network to move away from dial up :( .. I have now taken it for granted that we will never get line broadband in any shape or form.

Your in the same position as me it seems. Its a joke really

Never heard of ESB fibre - are they planning to run alongside electricity lines pole to pole or what?

shane7218 wrote: »
    Your in the same position as me it seems. Its a joke really
    You know what's makes it even sicker is that the e-fibre has been run up to about a mile and a half from the front door and stops :(

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

irishfeen wrote: »
    Never heard of ESB fibre - are they planning to run alongside electricity lines pole to pole or what?

Whole thread here:
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/87781576

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

In fairness broadband is quickly becoming one of those "requirements" when it comes to potential property buyers.

I know when I go to look for a house(currently in an apartment) the area I move into will need to have UPC or even better Magnets own network available to the house. When it comes to rent negotation on my lease, I'll be looking for a cut from the landlord, considering I've had 7 months of issues with the provider here, and there is no plans by Eircom to enable to rest of Donabate.

The quicker people recognise it as a "basic requirement" the quicker local authorities get of their arse and put infrastructure in place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement