Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ID will banks accept to cash a cheque

Options
  • 05-12-2013 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Recently lost my job only to be brought back next week for a 3 week temporary contract, i will be paid by cheque this time.

I currently dont have a passport,age card or license .

what else will the bank accept? i've been meaning to apply for all 3 for some time now but of course i just said "ahh shur i wont need it"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

can you not just lodge it into your account?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

When you can't even trust a bank draft these days because of forgeries, there is no way any bank will hand over cash for a cheque. Even with a raft of identity documents, the cheque could be drawn on an overdrawn account or it might be a forgery. Expect to be politely told to FRO as Ross O'Carroll Kelly would say.

Your only option is to either lodge it to your own account or get a friend or family member to give you cash for it and they then lodge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

coylemj wrote: »
    When you can't even trust a bank draft these days because of forgeries, there is no way any bank will hand over cash for a cheque. Even with a raft of identity documents, the cheque could be drawn on an overdrawn account or it might be a forgery. Expect to be politely told to FRO as Ross O'Carroll Kelly would say.

Your only option is to either lodge it to your own account or get a friend or family member to give you cash for it and they then lodge it.

Forgive me if i sound stupid, only ever dealt with 1 cheque in my lifetime and cant even remember that it was so long ago.

If i walk into my own bank with the cheque, give my bank card and have no ID whatsoever, will they still lodge it in my account?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

if you have your account number or bank card they should? sure you can lodge cheques using the machines also if you have a bank card

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Video wrote: »
    Forgive me if i sound stupid, only ever dealt with 1 cheque in my lifetime and cant even remember that it was so long ago.

If i walk into my own bank with the cheque, give my bank card and have no ID whatsoever, will they still lodge it in my account?

All you need to lodge is your account details. Any branch of your Bank will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

coylemj wrote: »

:confused:

Of course a chq can be cashed. As long as all is in order with the chq and your ID, the account has cleared funds and the staff carry out simply chq's to establish the chq is real there is no grounds for them to refuse to cash it.

However, its easier for a teller to say no and make you lodge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

:confused:

Of course a chq can be cashed. As long as all is in order with the chq and your ID, the account has cleared funds and the staff carry out simply chq's to establish the chq is real there is no grounds for them to refuse to cash it.

However, its easier for a teller to say no and make you lodge it.
    how is that 'easier', cashing a cheque and lodging a cheque take exactly the sane amount of time?

Yep.

Cause they would not have to complete all the checks, which for an experience teller would take a few mins. I've seen it 1st hand of tellers doing it.

If your cashing a chq for a person who also holds and account with the same bank, you are likely to get the "you have to lodge it" story. If your not then its easier to say no so you will go away.

Chq's require more checks to be carried out. Takes longer counter time etc. Its possible as long as all is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Nobody accused you of being stupid but you included the term 'cash a cheque' in the thread title and for most people this means to tender a cheque and get cash for it on the spot.

You can do that (lodge it) in almost any bank and you do not need ID. The cheque will take a few days to clear so unless you have an overdraft facility, your bank may not allow you to draw money based on the lodgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Yep.

Cause they would not have to complete all the checks, which for an experience teller would take a few mins. I've seen it 1st hand of tellers doing it.

If your cashing a chq for a person who also holds and account with the same bank, you are likely to get the "you have to lodge it" story. If your not then its easier to say no so you will go away.

Chq's require more checks to be carried out. Takes longer counter time etc. Its possible as long as all is in order.
    That's ridiculous. An experienced teller will have a cheque cashed in less than a minute if they know how to do their job. As long as the drawers account is in order it is a basic process. You clearly don't work in banking

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The other option is a friendly shopkeeper or bar man who knows you. I really hate going to a bank to cash a cheque, it's just an effort for them now. AIB will not cash any cheques now, regardless of id or funds being available, unless you have an account with them.

That's ridiculous. An experienced teller will have a cheque cashed in less than a minute if they know how to do their job. As long as the drawers account is in order it is a basic process. You clearly don't work in banking

Yes, I never stepped foot inside one :rolleyes:

Ok, under a min you say........lets break that down.

1: Check figure Amount ='s written amount.
    2: Check date
    3: Check for water marks/security features. Most teller do not have a UV lamp at their station.
    4:Check Signature, use system to do this. Vast majority of tellers would not have the software open. Open program, type in account details and verify.
    5: Check account for cleared funds
    6: Check persons ID inc UV lamp Chq
    7: Proceed with chq through swipe
    8: Enter in details of chq
    9: proceed with counting cash with tellers desired method(This can be a double count, one to self and one to customer or the more favoured single count right to the customer)

Now the above does not take into account the following which can add time to the transaction.

1: Funds not being there and in another account. Contact Customer
    2: Not 100% about ID, CHQ, Cleared Funds etc. Either pass it on or go ask or maybe a call to the customer
    3: Teller not having the required amount of cash at position.

I am pretty sure I've left a step out etc. As you can see the time impact on chq's in the banking world and the manual aspect they have is leading to them being phased out. Not to mention the cost to print/store chqs etc.

Still think I've never worked in a bank? Still think a "Few mins" is a unfair comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It is a fundamental of banking law that a properly-drawn and uncrossed cheque should be payable on demand - that is, cashed.

The only bank bound by that law is the particular branch on which it is drawn, and there are a number of circumstances in which it can be dishonoured - things like drawer deceased, drawer declared bankrupt or insane, the cheque being stale (technically "an unreasonable time in circulation"), the cheque being stopped by the drawer, there being insufficient funds in the drawer's account, etc.

If a bank dishonours a cheque incorrectly, it amounts to defamation of the drawer and is actionable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

With all the above in order AIB will still refuse to cash a cheque for non account holders.
    They will not entertain any discussion other than to state it is bank policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

The cheque can be lodged to your account no bother just sign the back and complete a lodgement slip with your account number and sort code on it. If you have no cleared funds in that account well then the funds will have to clear and you will have no access for 5 working days. This is standard in all banks however you may be able to cash it in your employers bank and branch where they can check the balance. This of course is at the discretion of the bank.

You should not have to provide ID when you already have a bank account however if making a withdrawal at the counter you may be asked to provide ID so perhaps a utility bill such as a bank statement might be helpful.

KoolKid wrote: »
    With all the above in order AIB will still refuse to cash a cheque for non account holders.
    They will not entertain any discussion other than to state it is bank policy.
    That point has been made in this forum before, and I suppose that it is indeed what happens. It's absurd that a bank should have a policy to disregard its legal obligations.

A week or two ago I heard David Duffy, CEO of AIB, doing an interview on RTÉ to tell us how well the bank was doing. I can't remember what programme it was, but I think it might have been Drivetime. The matter of cashing cheques was raised as the result of an email or text into the studio, but the interviewer didn't really get his head around it. Duffy implied that the bank complied fully with its legal requirements and, to my disappointment, the question was not pursued further.

The same point was discussed in relation to BOI, and they accepted (in my opinion, grudgingly) that they are bound to honour own-branch cheques. See http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057003092.

Trish56 wrote: »
    ... you may be able to cash it in your employers bank and branch where they can check the balance. This of course is at the discretion of the bank....
    The bank has no discretion in the matter if the cheque is uncrossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

My daughter cashes her cheque weekly which is uncrossed at permanent tsb branch. Cheque is drawn on permanent tsb and numerous branches have cashed it and she does not have a permanent tsb account. If she was to lodge it in her own bank it would take 5 working days to clear the funds.
    The bank has no discretion in the matter if the cheque is uncrossed.

Trish56 wrote: »
    My daughter cashes her cheque weekly which is uncrossed at permanent tsb branch. Cheque is drawn on permanent tsb and numerous branches have cashed it and she does not have a permanent tsb account. If she was to lodge it in her own bank it would take 5 working days to clear the funds.
    Good for PTSB. They are obliged to cash it at the branch on which it is drawn; cashing it at another branch is good service.

Advertisement