Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disk Partitiions

Options
  • 05-12-2013 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi,

We've bought the daughter a new laptop for Christmas & am here fighting with Win 8 - feck me, can't find anything!! :eek:

Anyway I see that it has a relatively tiny C: drive & a nice big empty D:

Tried to extend Volume C: in Disk Manager but option greyed out. Was tempted to try Easus but thought I'd better check first before wrecking new laptop! :P

DiskManager_zps2dbacbf6.jpg

Advice?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

A Fujitsu laptop? iirc you need to delete the D: volume before you can expand the C: drive into the free space.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,452 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A Fujitsu laptop? iirc you need to delete the D: volume before you can expand the C: drive into the free space.

+1 The D: drive is in the way of any expansion of the C: drive.

This is what you have to do....

1. Backup the D: drive to en external drive

2. Delete the D: drive

3. Expand the C: drive to take some of the space freed up

4. Redefine the D: drive within the reduced free space - the new D: drive can be up to the size of the old D: drive minus the additional space you added to the C: drive. The partition map will tell you how much free space is available.

5. Restore the D: drive from the backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Job done, excellent, thanks.

Next question: Why two recovery partitions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Two recovery partitions for two different recovery situations.

The 1GB Recovery partition is part of the Windows 8 install and gives you Windows own recovery options and the larger 15GB Recovery partition is provided by the computer manufacturer and contains an image of the system so you can do a complete system restore.

Well best guess I didn't look at what was in the 15GB recovery partition when I set my mates Fujitsu laptop up last week mainly because it came with a Windows 8 DVD and a set of software and driver CD/DVD's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Thanks all, sorted :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement