Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usable RAM

Options
  • 05-12-2013 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Built myself a gaming PC recently, put another 8GB RAM in there, and now, all I'm seeing is this...

VUGosOX.png

Anyone know why my RAM is seen but unusable? *SOLVED

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

brianblaze wrote: »
    Hi All,

Built myself a gaming PC recently, put another 8GB RAM in there, and now, all I'm seeing is this...

VUGosOX.png

Anyone know why my RAM is seen but unusable?

32bit os can only handle 4 gig of ram ! you neeed to install a 64bit os to make use of your ram .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Ahhh, I have 8.1 on the way, so not to worry!! Cheers all!

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Put a 64bit OS on it and you will be able to use the full 16GB.

Ahhh, I have 8.1 on the way, so not to worry!! Cheers all!

be better off with 64 bit 7 ultimate ! then again i just cant make myself like 8

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

i just cant make myself like 8
    Use www.pokki.com - bring back the start menu but better - you almost never have to use the crappy metro. Windows 8 has some great additional features

• Advertisement

be better off with 64 bit 7 ultimate ! then again i just cant make myself like 8

If I could find a legit digital copy of it at a decent price, I'd get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

32bit os can only handle 4 gig of ram !
    That statement is not accurate. Not only do most non-Windows x86 32 bit operating systems support >4GB using PAE but Windows does too, it's just disabled:
    Microsoft Windows implements PAE if booted with the appropriate option, but current 32-bit desktop editions enforce the physical address space within 4 GB even in PAE mode. According to Geoff Chappell, Microsoft limits 32-bit versions of Windows to 4 GB as a matter of its licensing policy,[5] and Microsoft Technical Fellow Mark Russinovich says that some drivers were found to be unstable when encountering physical addresses above 4 GB.[6] Unofficial kernel patches for Windows Vista and Windows 7 32-bit are available[7] [8] that break this Microsoft enforced limitation, though the stability is not guaranteed. These tools increase the RAM limit of the 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64 GB.

Snowbat wrote: »
    That statement is not accurate. Not only do most non-Windows x86 32 bit operating systems support >4GB using PAE but Windows does too, it's just disabled:

yup fully aware but the op didnt understand the reason why he had the issue and if he asking a simple question would you recomend that ? ehh no

yup fully aware but the op didnt understand the reason why he had the issue and if he asking a simple question would you recomend that ? ehh no

Too late... I have my power tools and a blowtorch... I will make this work... (I joke, Windows 8 on the way!)

Too late... I have my power tools and a blowtorch... I will make this work... (I joke, Windows 8 on the way!)

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement