Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance for Ironman?

Options
  • 05-12-2013 7:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm doing IM Frankfurt next year and was wondering about health insurance should something go wrong. I've private cover here but it doesn't cover me abroad. Will the E111 card cover me? I would be fairly confident in the German public healthcare system should the worst happen. I think a few here have had some misfortune while competing in European races and might have firsthand experience.
    Thanks.....

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I took out sports travel insurance as a safety net. Its not that expensive in the scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Rawhead wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm doing IM Frankfurt next year and was wondering about health insurance should something go wrong. I've private cover here but it doesn't cover me abroad. Will the E111 card cover me? I would be fairly confident in the German public healthcare system should the worst happen. I think a few here have had some misfortune while competing in European races and might have firsthand experience.
    Thanks.....

It's now called the EHC

Recommend having the number written in your race Number

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You don't need health insurance as the EHC gives you the same level of access to the German health care system as a resident. What you do need is travel insurance whenever you leave the island, as that is what pays to get you home if you require more than a few days care. Medical repatriation is very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

OP your post has me rooting in the TI website to check our insurance cover.

http://www.triathlonireland.com/insurance-info.html

There is an option to top up or make a premium level of insurance, up from the base 3rd party cover, to personal accident cover.

Sorry to steal your thread but does anyone know if our TI cover extends to covering us when racing abroad? Or do we automatically get cover under the hosting nations federation?

I ask this in the context that when IM was in Galway it was a TI sanctioned event so assuming that IM Frankfurt is sactioned by German Triathlon Federation Office (or whatever its called) if you took extended personal accident cover with TI will this extend to internation, sanctioned races?

Advertisement