Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Football Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

oldyouth wrote: »
    Fixed that there for you :p

So somebody is actually reading the thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I keep an eye on this thread!
    I just don't know a whole lot about the developments tbh, so between their facebook page and this thread I find, both pretty useful! Hoping to move back to Galway city come summer time, would only love to head to a few matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Still a bit wary of the set up of GFC to point where I will not be purchasing a Season ticket, even though they are great value and will be going to the first few games at home. Have a lot of reservations about certain members on the board and their intentions and would love to see the GFA/GUST (or even more neutral candidates) taking a more hands on role in the running of the club by representing all their members/clubs interests in GFC.

The majority of the support/volunteers for GFC will lie with the GFA's member clubs and GUST and if they don't step up to the mark GFC will die. I'm also very concious of the fact the FAI have stone walled a lot of what was requested by GUST and think we really need to stop the FAI getting involved and sorting the club out ourselves, especially when some of the committee are very cosy with the FAI with a view of going higher up the ranks within it.

There are some great clubmen involved with Mervue and Salthill but my concerns lie in the fact that their priorities will always be with their clubs and maximising the benefit they can get out of GFC. Nothing inherently wrong with those priorities but we need GFC to be solely concerned about the running of the club for the benefit of all its stakeholders, not as support for certain interests with the backing of the FAI.

As for the squad signed so far, some familiar names in their so look forward to seeing them back in Terryland/Eamonn Deacey Park. Happy with Tommy Dunne as a manager and seems to have a realistic view of what we can achieve in the next few years so there is optimism there.

6781 wrote: »
    Has the date and venue been set for the friendly with Sligo Rovers?

On Saturday, February 1st, FAI Cup holders Sligo Rovers will visit Eamonn Deacy Park.

On Thursday February 6th at the same venue, we will host Limerick FC.

Further details soon on galwayfc.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

Looking forward to this kicking off now. Any word of when the club merchandise will be launched or available to buy?

TBP wrote: »
    Looking forward to this kicking off now. Any word of when the club merchandise will be launched or available to buy?

Someone who would know replied to people asking the same question on Facebook, saying it would be by the end of Jan.

TBP wrote: »

It sounds a bit half-arsed not having gear by now, but you often need to order these types of things many months in advance. Non-template, high-volume, you gotta be prepared to wait...

Galway FC was launched in late November. Having gear by late January is probably reasonable enough on that schedule I think.

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Still a bit wary of the set up of GFC to point where I will not be purchasing a Season ticket, even though they are great value and will be going to the first few games at home. Have a lot of reservations about certain members on the board

More or less the same myself although I'm definitely not buying a season ticket now as I'm emigrating, but I will see the opener v Longford anyway. I was very vocal in my displeasure for a long time, but I really can't be bothered now. A lot of people couldn't help but take my criticisms personally, which is part of the reason I decided to leave it be.

Galway FC must hit the ground running

Galway FC's opening game in the Airtricity League will be a home fixture against first division favourites Longford Town on Friday March 7th at Eamonn Deacy Park.

Article

• Advertisement

It sounds a bit half-arsed not having gear by now, but you often need to order these types of things many months in advance. Non-template, high-volume, you gotta be prepared to wait...

Galway FC was launched in late November. Having gear by late January is probably reasonable enough on that schedule I think.

True, I've just seen on their twitter page there now that they hope to have some news on merchandise towards the end of January.

1jjQzrw.png

Impressed with the social media side of Galway FC, despite the lack of news to report for the most part. The club hasn't even played a game and was only launched like 2 months ago or less and they are approaching 4,000 likes on fb.

Tommy Dunne interview in the Connacht Tribune yesterday. Very positive and quite informative.

Praised Mervue for being so accommodating, despite their own teams badly needing the all-weather this time of year to train on too.

Taking his time with signings, no advantage in rushing into signing your squad. Same goes for his backroom team. He has names in mind, but not rushing into that either.

No keeper signed but has 5 names in mind who he's looking at.

Having a training camp in Dublin, when they will play St. Pats. Just speculation, but I assume the training camp is possible despite the tight budget because of the Comer Brothers helping them out with a base for it.

What's the pricing for games this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

rarnes1 wrote: »
    What's the pricing for games this season?

Haven't heard talk yet about individual games. Last time out they were €12 individually priced for adults.

However, the current season ticket pricing structure is:

Adult: €99

- Family Ticket: €199 (Family ticket includes two adults and three children under 18)

- Student: €65 (ID required)

- Concession: €65

- Under 12′s: FREE!

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Yeah, I seen the season ticket prices alright.

No, was just wondering. Will most likely head to a few games this year when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Have read this thread as have been out of the loop for the last few years:

1. Can someone please explain what is meant by a co-op, especially in terms of how it is implemented in Cork?
    2. In a nutshell, who or what caused the initial meltdown of GUFC?

dartsfan wrote: »
    Have read this thread as have been out of the loop for the last few years:

1. Can someone please explain what is meant by a co-op, especially in terms of how it is implemented in Cork?
    2. In a nutshell, who or what caused the initial meltdown of GUFC?

Exact details of this are yet to be released, but a public meeting has been scheduled by GUST for tomorrow week (Claddagh Hall, 29th Jan, 8.30pm) to explain and discuss the developments.

The board of directors of the club ratified the creation of a co-operative, which was put forward by the sub-committee that was formed to work on it.

What I do know is that the current board of the club has 9 members.
    • 2 from Mervue United
    • 2 from Salthill Devon
    • 2 from the Galway FA, who own Terryland and are administrators of local football
    • 2 from GUST
    • 1 independent chairperson, Bernie O'Connell

Apparently, the co-operative will elect two new members to the board of GFC, brining the number of members to 11 (10 + chairperson)

You asked about Cork City. The co-operative there owns and runs Cork City FC.

A series of books could be written on the subject. It was a series of terrible decisions over a number of years by the directors of the club, coupled with the FAI doing nothing to stop it.

Many incorrectly associate GUST with this mismanagement, but the fact is, they never had control or a vote on how the club was managed. GUST ran the day to day on behalf of the board during 2011, but by then it was like trying to re-float the titanic when it was already beneath the waves.

If you have more questions about it, fire away, but I don't think it serves any purpose to dig all that up again in this particular thread. PM me if you like.

Collected my season ticket today. Looks great. Good professional job done on it : )

Looking forward to seeing the jerseys/tops etc coming up for sale.

• Advertisement

Vinny Faherty and Ross Kenny have signed for Galway FC

Kenny is a 22-year-old ex-Athlone and Mervue defender.

Faherty could do serious damage in the First Division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Any of ye going to the first pre-season game?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Any of ye going to the first pre-season game?

Would but I don't live in the city any more. Too much hassle without transport.

TD has been taking his time so far with signings. Will be ramping up in the next week though. Another 5-7 players to be signed before Sligo he hopes.

Be interesting to see who is between the stick v Sligo. Don't think he'll go outside of the locals for it, but ya never know. Some of them keepers have a lot of senior LOI experience for young lads.

What's the deal with the friendlies? Is it €12 adult rate at the gate?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Col200sx wrote: »

I'd be shocked if they charge €12 for a friendly game. That's too high for a First Division game in my opinion.

Admission Prices

Adults €10
    Concessions €7
    Family Tickets €20
    U12s free if accompanied by an adult
    Season ticket holders free of charge

Season tickets will be on sale outside the entrance to the ground.

Pre-season friendlies are an expensive business. As someone said on the GUST forum the cost of referees and rent on Terryland is probably €1,000.

One of two people gave out about that price. Setting the prices at a big discount would mean that twice as many people would have to show up to cover the same chunk of the costs, which would never happen because even if admission was free, only so many people would go anyway.

I'd be shocked if they charge €12 for a friendly game. That's too high for a First Division game in my opinion.

It's still only a friendly and but it is against their Connacht neighbours, recent league champions, current FAI Cup holders, who also have a number of excellent Galway natives on their books.

Some people will feel the value isn't there for them and that's fair enough. The majority of former rain or shine Terryland regulars wouldn't have gone to pre-season matches even if they were free.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

It's still only a friendly and but it is against their Connacht neighbours, recent league champions, current FAI Cup holders, who also have a number of excellent Galway natives on their books.

Some people will feel the value isn't there for them and that's fair enough. The majority of former rain or shine Terryland regulars wouldn't have gone to pre-season matches even if they were free.

Fair enough. As a Limerick fan based in Mayo I'm hardly your target audience anyway though I sympathise on the cost of friendly games (there's a reason we basically never play home friendlies). Let me know how much that game in Headford will cost me when you know though, I might have to make a decision then. :)

Let me know how much that game in Headford will cost me when you know though, I might have to make a decision then. :)

Game in Headford might be similar. You can't play a game without OK from FAI and you need to use their refs, which are the lion's share of the cost. The rent for the Terryland games are nominal, but it costs money to keep the place going.

Could be that Moyne Villa aren't charging for the use of the pitch, but would be perfectly fine if they were. You still have to pay the refs though, which is the guts of a grand last I saw.

I remember paying €10 or maybe even €15 for a pre-season friendly v Limerick a few years ago in Ballinasloe on an atrocious pitch. Was no fault of the host club, it was just bad weather.

Like I said, some will find value, some won't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I'd imagine we'll bring an alright crowd next week. Lot of football-starved people up here keen to check out the new guys, particularly Odhiambo.

I'll be down anyway.

6 more players added to the squad.

Alan Murphy, goalkeeper Connor Gleeson, Marty Owens, Cian Fadden, Ronan Conlon and Jake Keegan have all agreed to join Galway FC.

Edit: Dammit Mars Bar.

Edit: Dammit Mars Bar.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Alan Murphy scored a hat-trick against Kilkenny at the first Galway United match I was ever at. What a man.

Conflicting information being given out on whether tonight's friendly v Sligo Rovers has been cancelled or moved to Fahys Field.

Eamonn Deacy Park waterlogged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Conflicting information being given out on whether tonight's friendly v Sligo Rovers has been cancelled or moved to Fahys Field.

Eamonn Deacy Park waterlogged.

Its on the astro in Mervue. Westport v Finn Harps is on before it

• Advertisement

Galway FC 5
    Sligo Rovers 3

Great performance, well organised and well able to play the ball on the ground considering the conditions. Looked full of confidence.

2 cracking goals too, free kick just outside the box and a 35 yarder that left the keeper rooted watching it sail in off the crossbar.

Play like that in the league and there's a great chance we'll be right up there.

Great reason for optimism after seeing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Galway FC 5
    Sligo Rovers 3

Great performance, well organised and well able to play the ball on the ground considering the conditions. Looked full of confidence.

2 cracking goals too, free kick just outside the box and a 35 yarder that left the keeper rooted watching it sail in off the crossbar.

Play like that in the league and there's a great chance we'll be right up there.

Great reason for optimism after seeing that.

Did Derek o brien get a run out?
    If so any good

Did Derek o brien get a run out?
    If so any good

No he didnt.

Tell you one thing, Ryan Connolly was fantastic, running the show, great in possession and chasing everything.

Great free kick too into the bottom corner.

A decent crowd too considering the conditions.

A decent crowd too considering the conditions.

And the fact that the official Facebook first said it was cancelled before saying it was just moved in the comments underneath!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

We paid 25 grand for Derek O Brien....

jaysis....

Mars Bar wrote: »
    And the fact that the official Facebook first said it was cancelled before saying it was just moved in the comments underneath!

I know. Wasn't the best communication to be honest, I had asked on the FB thread but took a while to get an official answer.

• Advertisement

BfqMl7qCIAATX-Z.png

Heading into this tonight and if they play the way they did against Sligo last Saturday night I'll be a happy camper.

4660636e6cd38aefdae83e857596764a_bigger.jpegGalway F.C. @Galway_FC

We will be providing live updates for supporters, a match report and reaction from manager Tommy Dunne after tonight's game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement