Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone line

• 05-12-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi, my house doesn't have a phone line but I am interested in getting Sky Broadband. I know I need an Eircom phone line but I don't want to pay rental to Eircom. I was told they are doing free installations at the moment but can I really get it installed free and then sign up to a Sky package?? Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

jenggg wrote: »
    Hi, my house doesn't have a phone line but I am interested in getting Sky Broadband. I know I need an Eircom phone line but I don't want to pay rental to Eircom. I was told they are doing free installations at the moment but can I really get it installed free and then sign up to a Sky package?? Thanks for any advice!

You'll have to persuade Sky to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

jenggg wrote: »

Simple answer; no. Was in the same boat a while back, Eircom won't install without a contract, said I was happy to pay Eircom the install price so that I could go with a Magnet no contract package (Magnet were prevaricating about organizing installing the line), no dice, so I emailed COMREG who told me that Eircom were not obliged to install the line without a contract but whilst ultimately Eircom install the line any provider should organize this on your behalf with them on the basis that you will contract with that provider. I said as much to Magnet and once I mentioned my email to COMREG they said of course we will do that, I didn't end up getting the line in the end (I only wanted it for redundancy/back-up purposes and found a cheaper solution that sufficed with less grief), not sure how successful you will be with a behemoth like SKY though and also bear in mind that they may agree but agreeing and actually organizing it are two different things, remember SKY would need to arrange with Eircom to have the line installed, how smooth do you reckon that will be? Hence why I gave up. I suggest getting Eircom to install the line and taking one of their reduced price packs may be the easier option, you can switch to SKY next year after your contract ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jenggg

Thanks for your replies. After speaking to Sky today it looks like there is no other option but to go with Eircom. But as you say, I can reassess things once the contract is up. Thanks again!

Advertisement