Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MF35 no logbook

• 05-12-2013 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭

Hello all. I have an MF35 at home with no logbook. I want to register it so I can tax it and drive it on the main road. The chassis number plate is long gone so how can I register this for the road?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭Thelostcountry

You should be able to find one for sale, a collectors item.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭John J. Lyons

you would be looking at a price of €100 - €200 for one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭ace86

muddle84 wrote: »
    Hello all. I have an MF35 at home with no logbook. I want to register it so I can tax it and drive it on the main road. The chassis number plate is long gone so how can I register this for the road?

was it ever taxed in its lifetime and more percise after 1990 at some stage.if it was its on the motor tax system and the garda system so if u know the reg no they can give u the chassis number and fill in the the required paperwork to get the logbook bak for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

I'm afraid there is no registration number so I have no way of knowing if it was ever taxed. There doesn't seem to be any logbooks for sale at the moment.
    Is there any other way to register it other than buying a logbook that belongs to a different tractor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I'm afraid there is no registration number so I have no way of knowing if it was ever taxed. There doesn't seem to be any logbooks for sale at the moment.
    Is there any other way to register it other than buying a logbook that belongs to a different tractor?
    I'm guessing err "finding" the reg of a scrapped similar yoke is a bit of a no-no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Definitely a no-no, lets not have any further discussion along those lines please or I'll delete the posts and lock the thread.

What would the implications of doing this be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

What would the implications of doing this be?

If you use a tax book from another tractor you are not insured in the event of an accident.

Is the chassis number not engraved into the chassis/frame?
    Most vehicles have a chassis plate, and the chassis number engraved
    into the chassis. Perhaps you could check with a MF dealer as to where
    the chassis number is located on the frame? Or check with a UK vintage
    tractor (MF? Ferguson?) owners forum?

If you can locate the chassis no then you can check - via the motor tax
    office (or a friendly garda) - what the registration number is (provided it
    was taxed since c.1990). Failing that the motor tax office may be able to
    check via their old handwritten log books (if you know the original county
    where it was first registered - and then write to that county's tax office).

Failing all that you may apply for a 'ZV' or 'Year' registration plate (€200)
    via your local NCT Centre (who register vehicles on behalf of Revenue).

Silvera wrote: »
    If you use a tax book from another tractor you are not insured in the event of an accident.

Is the chassis number not engraved into the chassis/frame?
    Most vehicles have a chassis plate, and the chassis number engraved
    into the chassis. Perhaps you could check with a MF dealer as to where
    the chassis number is located on the frame? Or check with a UK vintage
    tractor (MF? Ferguson?) owners forum?

If you can locate the chassis no then you can check - via the motor tax
    office (or a friendly garda) - what the registration number is (provided it
    was taxed since c.1990). Failing that the motor tax office may be able to
    check via their old handwritten log books (if you know the original county
    where it was first registered - and then write to that county's tax office).

Failing all that you may apply for a 'ZV' or 'Year' registration plate (€200)
    via your local NCT Centre (who register vehicles on behalf of Revenue).

As its a tractor the chassis is made up of the diff gearbox and engine block. The chassis numbers is on a plate that is riveted to the dash but that is sapdly long gone. The only numbers on these parts is part numbers.
    For the ZV your referring to, would you need proof of year of manufacture for this?

As its a tractor the chassis is made up of the diff gearbox and engine block. The chassis numbers is on a plate that is riveted to the dash but that is sapdly long gone. The only numbers on these parts is part numbers.
    For the ZV your referring to, would you need proof of year of manufacture for this?

We owned David Brown tractors many years ago (900D, 25D etc) and I'm fairly sure that they had a chassis plate AND the chassis number stamped into the chassis frame.

For a 'ZV' registration, yes, you would need proof of the year or manufacture.
    This can usually be supplied in writing from a tractor dealer and/or a UK Ferguson/MF owners club.

Again, I'd suggest that you do some research on a Ferguson forum about what you need to do. It's safe to say that you are not the first tractor owner to be in this situation.

UK Ferguson website - http://www.fergusonclub.com/

• Advertisement

I just had a quick look at the Ferguson webiste. Have a read of this page, particularly near the bottom where he states -

"A few Ferguson tractors have lost their serial numbers, however we can still year date your tractor..."

Obviously the content of the page relates to registering a tractor in the UK, however if he can supply you with a letter dating your tractor then you can apply for a 'ZV' or 'Year' plate.

Link -

http://www.fergusonclub.com/dvla/

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭custom900

There's a date of manufacture cast into the transmission housing, it's in the day- month-year format. A lot of info on the vintage tractor engineer site;

http://vintagetractorengineer.com/discussion-forums/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

If you could approach your local garda and explain your case, give him the engine number he might be able to get you the reg number if it was previously taxed in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

A lot of the rules regarding registering tractors have changed over the last few years making it near impossible to register an old tractor here, resulting in log books being sold on donedeal.
    You have to provide proof of when the tractor entered the country, register it within a month, Vat has to be paid on it , it has to be registered within a month of entering the country. it has to be brought to an nct centre to be registered
    There was a story in the farmers journal a while back about a man who bought a mf 165 off a neighbour out of a ditch. he restorred the tractor and went to register it. As it was assumed the tractor was in the country for its full life , he got caught for a percentage of back tax to be able to register it. it cost around 700 if i remember correctly.

My advice would be to talk to a local friendly garage man who imports a few tractors and get him to register it for you. he can provide all the paperwork that the nct lads need .
    Then at least it would be registered properly and not a bought logbook

I managed to get through a helpful fella in the nct helpdesk who talked me through what has to be done. Basically they will not accept a letter from an owners club as proof of year of manufacture. It has to be the manufacturer or MF main dealer that has to identify the year of manufacture. Then this paperwork has to be brought, along with the tractor itself, to the local VRT/NCT centre. He made it sound relatively simple if you have a way of transporting the tractor to and from the dealer/NCT centres.
    But according to what you are saying 9935452 it may not be that simple.

I spoke with somebody in a Massey Ferguson yesterday and asked them what I could do. They came back and said they can't help without the serial number. So that's another dead end!!!

Now to find a local friendly tractor importer!!

So further to this the only method I have found to get a logbook for this tractor is to use the friends of ferguson service to register it with the dvla In the uk then get a british logbook for it. Then "import" the tractor into ireland. Can anybody tell me any reason why this wont work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I managed to get through a helpful fella in the nct helpdesk who talked me through what has to be done. Basically they will not accept a letter from an owners club as proof of year of manufacture. It has to be the manufacturer or MF main dealer that has to identify the year of manufacture. Then this paperwork has to be brought, along with the tractor itself, to the local VRT/NCT centre. He made it sound relatively simple if you have a way of transporting the tractor to and from the dealer/NCT centres.
    But according to what you are saying 9935452 it may not be that simple.

Mother of God, how in the name of blazzes is a modern dealer suppose to identify a tractor built in the 50s?:rolleyes:What boghole of a country we live in.Could they not have a simpler method of registering a vehicle without documents? We had a similar issue registering a davy brown some years ago.What a kerfuffle it was.Jumping through hoops with different people giving different advise.We eventually just registered it from the start using the chassis number, but we had a fake logbook (we didnt know it was fake).Chassis number was right, reg number was not.
    link to a thread about it HERE

We also brought the tractor to the centre, and was then told not necessary:mad:.

It seems to be silly to have a chassis plate riveted to the tractor instead of etching it to it.I wonder was the plate taken off for some dodgy goings on with it?
    specs below

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/007/5/2/7529-massey-ferguson-35.html
    So further to this the only method I have found to get a logbook for this tractor is to use the friends of ferguson service to register it with the dvla In the uk then get a british logbook for it. Then "import" the tractor into ireland. Can anybody tell me any reason why this wont work?

Was the tractor in the UK at one time?

jimmyw wrote: »

It seems to be silly to have a chassis plate riveted to the tractor instead of etching it to it.I wonder was the plate taken off for some dodgy goings on with it?

From Memory the plate was there when the tractor came into my fathers possesion. Was parked in a field for quite a few years before I came of age and started giving it some tlc at which point the plate was rusted off.

Was the tractor in the UK at one time?

Yes it was bought in the north without logbook etc.....

• Advertisement

From Memory the plate was there when the tractor came into my fathers possesion. Was parked in a field for quite a few years before I came of age and started giving it some tlc at which point the plate was rusted off.

Yes it was bought in the north without logbook etc.....

Oh I see, I'm just a sceptic :p.Pity the chassis number is missing though, I'd say you would be able to register the tractor without difficulty even if it was never registered before.Suppose the last suggestion might work, worth a try but does the DVLA not need the number?

Maybe an enthusiast/restorer of the make might know if there is a alternative location for it.

By the way, I think a fellow boardsie,"MrFoxman360" has one of these tractors.He may have an idea.

If I had the serial number it is very straight forward to register the tractor regardless if it was registered before or not. I've done my research the only place it exists is on the serial number plate i'm afraid.

The DVLA will accept a number and proof of age from enthuasiasts clubs like Friends of Ferguson. Did Mr Foxman have to register his also? They are a very popular tractor!

Pity MF didnt put the number in a more sturdy manner on the tractor.When you say the DVLA will accept a number, you mean chassis number?....but you dont have it.

I dont know if Mr Fox has registered the tractor or not, maybe he doesn't need to.Maybe you could PM him.He has also got a "youtube" channel, thats where I saw it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=103594

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amKp6Wgnsek&list=UUGun52YFO7IFFdV51fMA3HA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ubvFW_quMo&list=UUGun52YFO7IFFdV51fMA3HA

P.S I am not his agent by the way, nor do I have a connection to the chap except through here:D....

When you say the DVLA will accept a number, you mean chassis number?....but you dont have it.

As per my last post....

The DVLA will accept a number and proof of age from enthuasiasts clubs like Friends of Ferguson.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭stoeger

On the 135 there are numbers on the back axle the one near the left hub is the chassis number a friend went true all this a few months ago there is a lad in sixmilebridge co clare that help him out pj ryan tractors youl get his number in the book

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭stoeger

On the 135 there are numbers on the back axle the one near the left hub is the chassis number a friend went true all this a few months ago there is a lad in sixmilebridge co clare that help him out pj ryan tractors youl get his number in the book

There is numbers on the diff, gearbox and engine castings on the 35. You can use these numbers to date the tractor but they are not the chassis number and will not be accepted by the NCTS in ireland.

That must have been a change they brought in when they released the 35 to facilitate a more permanent marking for the chassis number. Thanks for that, I will give them a ring as you never know!!

Advertisement