Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Husky pup

• 05-12-2013 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

The object of this post is to highlight how unsuitable a breed the husky is for a lot of people, and if you are thinking of buying one for Christmas please do your homework first.

Firstly id like to say that I am not a dog-expert but I am a dog-lover, we have two small pet dogs at the moment and have had working dogs over the years too.

'Donedeal' is full of adverts at the moment for Husky pups, ready for the Christmas rush. I wonder how many of these dogs bought will actually end up staying with their fair-weather owners, when the dog is not small and cute anymore but big and demanding.

A husky needs regular extensive exercising. They will never be a content, stable pet if kept

* confined in a walled garden
    * on a chain
    * only brought around the estate every other day

A lot of Huskys turn up on Donedeal for €50 or €100 and ive seen loads free-to-good-home as well. Dogs a year or two old. I personally know of two similar situations in this locality where huskys were not looked after properly and they turned nasty. Not the dogs fault at all IMO.

Huskys are not by nature a vicious or destructive dog, they were bred as working dogs, pulling and dragging stuff around. The will not be happy living in your garden. If you are not prepared to put in a lot of effort. Buy a different type of dog.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Do you think it will make a difference when there is money involved? Its falling on deaf ears. but you are right in what you are saying,but .... ah never mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Great post - I saw one ad on Donedeal last year that summed it up really.

Young husky, free to good home, no details except the age of the pup suggested it was a Christmas buy... and the photo?

Pup sitting on the floor of a small kitchen with the remains of a hard plastic child's toy, which was in several pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Seen a post on FB last wk or so and this young woman with a 2yr old, was going on about what do people know about Huskeys that she was picking one up the next that is 6 months old. Looking for advice and stuff. She didn't have a clue. I never get involved in FB stuff so I left it. Didn't want to come across as mr know it all either. Don't know her that well.

Anyway the next day comes and she has FB flooded with pics of this new pup. Didn't even look pure to be honest. Not even 24 hours later she posts that she had to ring DSPCA because the dog and the kid didn't like each other. Poor dog just thrown around. :(

Think she said the dog came from a friend who couldn't keep it anymore.

DD and Buy and Sell and all crappy web sites should ban the selling of dogs this time of year. Could only imagine the amount of pups sold for kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭cornholiooo

Its not fair on the dogs that they should have to pay for the ignorance of humans.

For example a 1yr old husky... who has not been properly trained, has developed bad habits, is constantly frustrated / agitated from lack of the constant exercise and stimulation which they need.

What chance does such a large dog stand of being re-homed to a suitable environment successfully?

As a dog-lover it saddens me, its such a waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

The number of dogs looking for new homes on the All Ireland Siberian Husky club Facebook page is saddening...

Of all the pups we passed in the first few months of owning Hugo, our husky... Over two years later none are to be seen.

And as for our fella? 2 walks a day, everyday!!! Running, bikejoring and lots of other exercise. He's in the house as much as we are. A real 'pack' dog. Goes on holidays with us, camping, etc... Routine! Routine... And then ROUTINE! And don't get me started on the renovations to the yard. Or the new car! All for the love of the Siberian Husky.

If this doesn't sound like your idea of owning one... Then you probably shouldn't.

But - in the right environment - with the correct owners... What a dog!!!

• Advertisement

talk about a fall from grace. 5 years ago people were paying 800 +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

talk about a fall from grace. 5 years ago people were paying 800 +

If you to go to the right breeder, you still will. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Hooked wrote: »

But - in the right environment - with the correct owners... What a dog!!!

Same could be said of any dog, though I take your point. It kills me to see people getting wonderful brilliant dogs with no clue how best to care for them, then tossing them aside when they become inconvenient, through absolutely no fault of their own.

Advertisement