Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IMRA Season 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

In my defence I can only say the the optimal route around the pool was the only route marked!

Jerome was fortunate that Adrian was hot on his heels as Jerome entered the woods at the end of the pool, in effect following the marking backwards, only for Adrian to point him in the right direction.

A great set of reports and Ken is right, they really add to the colour of an event looking back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Peterx

Opinion - Maulin should have been cancelled when no race director was in place 7 daze before de event.
    Ahem - down with the winter league:D

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

Easy to do RD when you have an experienced Deputy Race Director available - you would think people would like to avail of the opportunity :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

Any takers for the Maulin WL race on Saturday???

Date for your diaries: Run The Line - 29th Nov 2014

Same start location and routes

RD for Maulin found :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

RD for Maulin found :)

where was he/she hiding ?

PaulieC wrote: »
    where was he/she hiding ?

Not sure but Rach K had a big part to play in getting this resolved.

Looking forward to Saturday now!

I have just added 4 places to the carpool on imra.ie for Maulin. Leaving Irishtown at about 9:15 and heading through Sandymount/Merrion/Booterstown/Stillorgan if anyone wants a lift. Will be coming back straight after the race though, I don't think I'll need to be hanging around for no prizegiving :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Anybody know of a good route going from Bray Head to the Little Sugar Loaf?

I'm trying to do a Bray head - Little Sugar loaf - Great Sugar loaf run. But most walking routes that I have found seem to approach the little sugar loaf from the west side, whereas I would prefer to approach from the east coming from Bray head.

Any ideas/links to routes?

• Advertisement

I did it a few years ago so the route is a bit sketchy in my mind. From the Bray Greystones road we went down a minor road near the crossing from Bray head a little ways, jumped a gate, ran along a farm trail and along a field before it led to a trail from the east of little sugar loaf. Didn't get permission from anyone in Kilruddery. Strictly speaking you are probably supposed to but when I ran it I didn't bump into anyone. Sorry I can't remember more specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

I did it a few years ago so the route is a bit sketchy in my mind. From the Bray Greystones road we went down a minor road near the crossing from Bray head a little ways, jumped a gate, ran along a farm trail and along a field before it led to a trail from the east of little sugar loaf. Didn't get permission from anyone in Kilruddery. Strictly speaking you are probably supposed to but when I ran it I didn't bump into anyone. Sorry I can't remember more specifics.

Slogger's right, jump the gate and you're through on to farmland.
    The link below should give you all the info you need. It was the route used in the Dirty Dozen Race a couple of years back. A very enjoyable race too. It crossed the M11 to summit the Sugarloaf and finished in the Glenview Hotel.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/35093470/#

Cheers lads, yea I tried it last week but only got as far as a big farmers gate. I could see the little sugar loaf just beyond the farmland but the field in between was full of cows. I'll bring the cattle prod the next time ;)

you could gain access through the main gates of Killruddery and head up that way.

you could gain access through the main gates of Killruddery and head up that way.

Thats not a bad idea. Ideally I'd want to avoid roads as much as possible but if I went up Bray head then looped back down the side by the golf course onto Newcourt road I would only have about a mile or less of road to run on before I got to Killruddery.

Is access OK at Killruddery? Might try this out on the weekend. Thanks.

Yea nice one. Tried that out today -http://connect.garmin.com/activity/479427217

Lots of route choice heading up the Little Sugar Loaf. From the top of the Little I could see the trail heading off in the direction of the Great Sugar Loaf but was short of time today so I'll follow that next time I try this in a couple of weeks. Cheers.

GOAL Killiney Hill relay on tomorrow night - Wednesday. Always a good social evening out.
    I was trying to drum up interest in a carboot type of thing and have some items donated by Moire and Greg to sell in aid of GOAL.
    I might try again with a proper carboot evening at a later date.

And well done to all at the Glacier Lakes. The lunatic fringe of Leinster IMRA rides again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

Update on registartion for the Wicklow Way Relay now up:

https://www.imra.ie/forum/reply/id/3704/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Anyone done the Clare Glens Race in Co Tipp before, looking for another race that mightnt be too challenging for a newbie.

• Advertisement

Some photos from the Camaderry section of today's race. Glorious day. Didn't feel I would have been up to the challenge. Regretting it now!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mickhanney/sets/72157644375652624/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The Scalp race is on tonight.

https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1127/

It's a super introduction to hill running. Slightly less than 6km with 200 metres of climbing. It's a good blast.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    The Scalp race is on tonight.

https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1127/

It's a super introduction to hill running. Slightly less than 6km with 200 metres of climbing. It's a good blast.

Agreed, very good race. You making your comeback?

the IMRA description is somewhat confusing. Is the route one lap of Carrickgolligan, followed by a lap of Barnaslingan woods ?

DSS, I see you're volunteering, say hello if you see me, 1588 :)

PaulieC wrote: »
    the IMRA description is somewhat confusing. Is the route one lap of Carrickgolligan, followed by a lap of Barnaslingan woods ?
    Basically yeah. You start below the smelting tower and do a loop of Carrickolligan before leaving the way you came and crossing the road into Barnaslingan for a loop.

Well this was what happened last year. There were fallen trees blocking some of the route the last time I was down there. Not sure if they've been moved in time or if the race marker (PeterX) is planning different route.
    DSS, I see you're volunteering, say hello if you see me, 1588 :)

Will do ;)

Ha. I am tempted to do it but it'd be madness given how quick the race is!

I might give the Vale of Glendasan a go. In my head it seems like a more relaxing race.

Paulie: It's a figure of 8, with a loop of each. Last year's race was brilliant.

• Advertisement

Basically yeah. You start below the smelting tower and do a loop of Carrickolligan before leaving the way you came and crossing the road into Barnaslingan for a loop.

Well this was what happened last year. There were fallen trees blocking some of the route the last time I was down there. Not sure if they've been moved in time or if the race marker (PeterX) is planning different route.

Will do ;)
    I'm bringing a saw with me in case of branches in the path, the route will hopefully be the same as on the event page map (which is courtesy of the GEN orienteers I see)
    BUT JUST FOLLOW THE TAPE. please:D

Short, but sharp.

The downed logs looked like they were placed there for equestrian purposes. Too uniform to be random

How to decrease the amount of cars we bring into the hills.
    Options off the top of my head:

Logistics:
    #1 Get more landowners to provide parking fields
    #2 Only organise races with huge carparks

Incentives:
    #1 1 minute headstart for all racers arriving by bicycle :)
    #2 30 second headstart for all arriving in fully loaded cars
    #3 Entry to a prize raffle for all arriving in full cars

Disincentives:
    #1 Charge all cars a fee. 1 person=€4, 2 persons=€3, 3 persons=€2, 4 persons=€1, 5 persons=free.
    #2 Turn away single occupancy cars. Only exceptions=non running volunteers

anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Peterx wrote: »

Logistics:

Incentives:

Disincentives:
    #1 Charge all cars a fee. 1 person=€4, 2 persons=€3, 3 persons=€2, 4 persons=€1, 5 persons=free.

anyone else?

Have a common location with sufficient parking that people can carpool from, the simple rule is that unless you got a car full you must pass by it, and either pickup more passengers or ditch yourown car to go with someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

GOAL Killiney Hill relay on tomorrow night - Wednesday. Always a good social evening out.
    I was trying to drum up interest in a carboot type of thing and have some items donated by Moire and Greg to sell in aid of GOAL.
    I might try again with a proper carboot evening at a later date.

And well done to all at the Glacier Lakes. The lunatic fringe of Leinster IMRA rides again:D

Great idea,let me know if you plan on doing at another event.Have about 40 pairs of size 10 running shoes :eek:

• Advertisement

Great idea,let me know if you plan on doing at another event.Have about 40 pairs of size 10 running shoes :eek:

Good man. Tentative plan to repeat at the Sugarloaf BBQ. Should be a better captive audience there and folk will have had 12 races to get to know each other.
    I still have most of Greg's stuff and Moire's shoes.

Logistics:

Incentives:

Disincentives:

anyone else?

I think you need to make it a bit more prohibitive to park single occupancy cars to discourage it. Wednesday night was a bit of a parking disaster (luckily I got out before the big crowd came back) and should be avoided at all costs. There were a decent number of carpool offers on the site though (including mine), but as long as it's so cheap to drive up and pay a pittance (relatively) it's not going to curtail it. Charge a tenner for parking and see things change pretty quickly...

I’d be against putting financial punishments as it disproportionally affects people. €10 or whatever could be a drop in the ocean for some and therefore ineffective, or a hefty cost for others, which is unfair.

This comes up every year at the start of the season and it usually works out fine. Maybe ban single occupancy cars from ‘official’ car parks. I say that as someone who has no choice but to travel on my own given the decision to run every Wednesday race is made 5 mins before rushing out the door.

I’d have no problem sticking the bike in the car and driving somewhere close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I’d be against putting financial punishments as it disproportionally affects people. €10 or whatever could be a drop in the ocean for some and therefore ineffective, or a hefty cost for others, which is unfair.

This comes up every year at the start of the season and it usually works out fine. Maybe ban single occupancy cars from ‘official’ car parks. I say that as someone who has no choice but to travel on my own given the decision to run every Wednesday race is made 5 mins before rushing out the door.

I’d have no problem sticking the bike in the car and driving somewhere close.

That worked before...although I remember in Annagh Hell Kurt having to receive the ire of some single occupancy guys for enforcing the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Part of the problem with Wednesday I think was the fact that people knew we had a big field to use, so less pressure to car pool. I actually didn't think parking was an issue, there was still plenty of space.

I've done parking at Crone a couple of times, it's like one big game of Tetris, but when you fit everything in neatly, things don't disappear and free up more space.

Great event today. Feet were never as wet in a race before.
    2 tough waterlogged climbs, with some nice waterlogged downhills after and other waterlogged bits too.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/139963542

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Great event today. Feet were never as wet in a race before.
    2 tough waterlogged climbs, with some nice waterlogged downhills after and other waterlogged bits too.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/139963542

HI Slogger. Well done, good run, Looked like tough going out there.
    There is a path On St Kevins Way opposite the IMC that leads to the main path up Camaderry. Was there any reason given why the route had up had to go via the mine works? If there was a free choice the other way is attractive as its all very runnable on well drained ground for a lot of the climbing.

T runner wrote: »
    HI Slogger. Well done, good run, Looked like tough going out there.
    There is a path On St Kevins Way opposite the IMC that leads to the main path up Camaderry. Was there any reason given why the route had up had to go via the mine works? If there was a free choice the other way is attractive as its all very runnable on well drained ground for a lot of the climbing.

This was the path dictated by the Race Director who had evil intentions for the runners :D I would like to do it again on a nice day so I could have a proper look around. Yesterday we had a gale in our faces and rain when we were going up Camaderry so very little chance to actually take in the surroundings. There were some nice pieces of running yesterday. From Camaderry around Turlough hill to Wicklow gap and everything after Tonelagee.

...and everything after Tonelagee.

you mean the downhill bit on the way to the finish (and dry clothes/cups of tea/cake/etc.) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Anyone coming to Cratloe Woods Wednesday evening? Just a ten minute drive for me form Quin!

• Advertisement

That was a great race last night. Some climb but the descent was well worth it :)

So who are the favourites for the relay tomorrow?

favourites

Sli Cualann
    TT Racers
    Rathfarnham

unknowns

East Cork
    Athenry
    Defence Forces

outside chance

3 roc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

favourites

Sli Cualann
    TT Racers
    Rathfarnham

unknowns

East Cork
    Athenry
    Defence Forces

outside chance

3 roc
    What about Raheny?

What about Raheny?

Was wondering that myself. They way the teams sheets are on Google docs this year, we can't see the team limes up can we, or am I just missing them ?

Doesn't look like Raheny are racing. Not down on the team list anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

Doesn't look like Raheny are racing. Not down on the team list anyway.
    Timing is everything
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4nV5BZ5NnU9NFhuSHlKV29zV1k/edit?usp=sharing

I don't see them on the list ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The Sportsworld team looks pretty competitive too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

Sorry didn't mean to imply there where. I just got a mail about the list as I saw the thread. Should be an epic day. What legs people doing?

Advertisement