Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nelson Mandela has passed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

RIP Madiba

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

He must have been the most important, iconic, influential figure to have existed in my lifetime. R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Ironic prime time stated their show with yet another hatchet job on Gerry Adams and end the show fawning over Mandela. Both men are cut from the same cloth, both terrorists in their day who renounced violence and formed the path to peace but different in the eyes of the state broadcaster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

padma wrote: »
    R.I.P Nelson Mandela,

I visited robben island and visited his cell. What a struggle against a racist bigoted system he and many others had not only in South Africa but throughout the world and in the North of this island as well.

Both the Provos and ANC were masters at murdering innocent civilians. There the comparison ends. Needless Adams and Co. will try and claim more similarities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Passed what??

FFS :rolleyes:
    What do you think it means ... passed his driving test?
    It's just a respectful way of saying he has died. Geez, what the hell is wrong with people on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

27 years locked up for what he believed in. Not sure there's too many people out there that would have ever done that.

And to come out of prison after 27 years without a hint of vengeance in him

Gandhi and Mandela.....the two greatest human beings that ever lived

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

It's not being a grouch, it is being pedantic.

One might say it's being an assh0le.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

The man was a terrorist but the media whitewashed his past. He carried out bombings and advocated violence to gain power. The reason why he became so revered? He won. Oh, and he had a change of mind and wanted "peace".

Good riddance

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Eight Ball wrote: »
    Ironic prime time stated their show with yet another hatchet job on Gerry Adams and end the show fawning over Mandela. Both men are cut from the same cloth, both terrorists in their day who renounced violence and formed the path to peace but different in the eyes of the state broadcaster.
    Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Both the Provos and ANC were masters at murdering innocent civilians. There the comparison ends. Needless Adams and Co. will try and claim more similarities

Not the place or time. Have a bit of respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The world has lost an icon. A man who has done so much for others at a great cost to his own person wellbeing. World leaders should hang their heads in shame as none will ever be half the person he was.

RIP Mr Mandela.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Aaron Ramsey curse has taken two victims in one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

The Long Walk to Freedom was and still is, one of THE best books I've read over & over.

Nelson Mandela - Fought some fight! Hopefully now Resting in Peace :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Yes, they are clearly identical in every respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Nelson never renounced violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The man that defined a generation.

RIP to a great statesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

an inspiration to humanity. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I leave my computer for 30 minutes and come back to find that one of the greatest men to ever grace this earth has passed away. RIP Nelson Mandela, you were, and will continue to be, an inspiration to hundreds of thousands of people, irrespective of race, colour, age or social background. If any man can say he has lived his life in the right manner, it is you. Rest well good sir, RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Nodin wrote: »
    Nelson never renounced violence.

"Take your weapons and throw them into the sea"?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

SeaDaily wrote: »
    It's not. Saying people have "passed" when referring to them dying is the stupidest possible expression. It is just ridiculous.

We live in a world where that is an expression that is used. If you don't live in that world, expect that the majority accept it as a turn of phrase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

SeaDaily wrote: »
    It's not. Saying people have "passed" when referring to them dying is the stupidest possible expression. It is just ridiculous.
    In your opinion.
    The man was a terrorist but the media whitewashed his past. He carried out bombings and advocated violence to gain power. The reason why he became so revered? He won. Oh, and he had a change of mind and wanted "peace".

Good riddance
    Bet you don't really mean "Good riddance" and are just saying it to get attention.
    What would you have done as a black person under apartheid?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

He was an incredible man and I think his example encouraged a lot of other nations to resolve conflict using diplomacy and reconciliation rather than violence. Its a shame more African leaders didn't follow his example in that regard.

Also it bothers me that that gangster Jacob Zuma was giving such a heartfelt speech...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

FFS :rolleyes:
    What do you think it means ... passed his driving test?
    It's just a respectful way of saying he has died. Geez, what the hell is wrong with people on here.

I don't know, did he pass his driving test??

Why couldn't it just be "Mandela has died"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

One of the truly great men of the last century. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Great man, rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I don't know, did he pass his driving test??

Why couldn't it just be "Mandela has died"

Why the fcuk does it matter?Pedantic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Great great human being. R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

My abiding memory of him, uniting a country in sport. Fantastic.

Rest In Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Good riddance

Theres a time and a place. Stop looking for attention. Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

He replaced one terrible administration with another one that is slowly but surely driving South Africa down the Zimbabwe route with massive corruption, breach of human rights as bad as the Afrikaaner regimes and moving towards a dictatorship.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement