Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nelson Mandela has passed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I remember when I first became aware of Mandella, and of all things it was a song on Top of The Pops by a band called the Special AKA, who sang about freeing this person called Nelson Mandella, so who's this Nelson fella then? twenty one years in captivity, etc . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I am far from a "shinbot". I just find it amusing the reaction he gets despite his own past being not too dissimilar to events that happened a few miles up the road.

That's because those who carry out the double standards are uneducated regarding their own history. It's comical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Nodin wrote: »
    That was to do with in-fighting in Natal. He was offered early release if he renounced violence and refused it.

Well, there's a debate to be had about his views on violence - especially when it comes to Irish Republicanism - but maybe now is not the right time.

Hope you'll agree, though, that the quote below is typical of the guy in his later years.
    “In a world driven by violence and strife, Gandhi’s message of peace and non-violence holds the key to human survival in the 21st century, said Mandela.

“He rightly believed in the efficacy of pitting the sole force of the satyagraha against the brute force of the oppressor and in effect converting the oppressor to the right and moral point.”

(via Reuters, quoted in Zambia's Mail and Guardian, January 2007)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So the end justifies the means? I'm sure all those civilians killed at the hands of his group Umkhonto we Sizwe agree with you.

You can keep on spewing shite as long as you want to, but it won't change the fact that Mandela is and will continue to be viewed as one of the most influential and widely admired people in history.

The bitterness shown by you and others here will soon be forgotten however :)

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

In your opinion.

Yes, obviously in my opinion. Surely I don't need to write "in my opinion" at the end of every single post I make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I am far from a "shinbot". I just find it amusing the reaction he gets despite his own past being not too dissimilar to events that happened a few miles up the road.

What Mandela did is inspire endless generations of downtrodden and persecuted people around the world. He became President of a country that traditionally treated his people as slaves. I dont see anyone up North inspiring anyone to that extent, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

Just to be a grouch - he died.

People pass exams; he/she passed his/her exams.

If you're religious, you can pass from this world to the next.
    If you're spiritual, you can pass to a different dimension.

But for heaven's sake, use the proper expression.

RIP anyway.

OP here, not my title, thats due to the mod that merged the threads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

And I was looking forward to irish pictorial weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

"As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Living or dead, think about his message of equality and acceptance. His body may have died but the rest of him carries on forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

FTA69 wrote: »
    Sorry, it's just hard for some of us to listen to bare faced hypocrisy. Many of those lauding him now would have been cursing him to high heaven when he was in jail.
    This is going to be my last response to you. Mandela was wrong not to renounce violence I won't condone his actions but his cause was just and humanity was made better off by his existence. That you would try to hi-jack his death to compare him to miserable IRA killers is disgusting and disrespectful and for the sake of Mandela not a conversation I am going to engage you in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Have to admit it is rather ironic the view of some people in here, considering he was the head of a terrorist group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

LordSutch wrote: »
    I remember when I first became aware of Mandella, and of all things it was a song on Top of The Pops by a band called the Special AKA, who sang about freeing this person called Nelson Mandella, so who's this Nelson fella then? twenty one years in captivity, etc . . .

Me too. I remember my brother, 12 years older than me, being a massive ska fan and having this song playing all the time when it was released. I know all the lyrics word for word. I remember asking him who it was about and him giving me a run down.

RIP Nelson Mandela.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

goose2005 wrote: »
    Do you have any actual proof? SA isn't paradise but it's doing OK. It's more prosperous than it was in 1991.
    "South Africa is still burdened by a relatively high rate of poverty and unemployment, and is also ranked in the top 10 countries in the world for income inequality

World Bank research shows that South Africa has one of the widest gaps between per capita GNP versus its Human Development Index ranking, with only Botswana showing a larger gap.

According to official estimates, a quarter of the population is unemployed, however unofficial estimates put the real unemployment rate as high as 40%.

A quarter of South Africans live on less than US $1.25 a day.

Crime is considered a major or very severe constraint on investment by 30% of enterprises in South Africa, putting crime among the four most frequently mentioned constraints.

According to the 2011 UNAIDS Report, South Africa has an estimated 5.6 million people living with HIV – more than any other country in the world. "

It is estimated that 500,000 women are raped in South Africa every year with the average woman more likely to be raped than complete secondary school.
    A 2009 survey found one in four South African men admitted to raping someone and another survey found one in three women out of 4000 surveyed women said they had been raped in the past year.
    Rapes are also perpetrated by children (some as young as ten).
    Child and baby rape incidences are some of the highest in the world, largely as a result of the virgin cleansing myth, and a number of high-profile cases (sometimes as young as eight months) have outraged the nation.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2057744,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8107039.stm

http://www.frontline.org.za/Files/PDF/murder_southafrica%20(5).pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

"South Africa is still burdened by a relatively high rate of poverty and unemployment, and is also ranked in the top 10 countries in the world for income inequality

World Bank research shows that South Africa has one of the widest gaps between per capita GNP versus its Human Development Index ranking, with only Botswana showing a larger gap.

According to official estimates, a quarter of the population is unemployed, however unofficial estimates put the real unemployment rate as high as 40%.

A quarter of South Africans live on less than US $1.25 a day.

Crime is considered a major or very severe constraint on investment by 30% of enterprises in South Africa, putting crime among the four most frequently mentioned constraints.

According to the 2011 UNAIDS Report, South Africa has an estimated 5.6 million people living with HIV – more than any other country in the world. "

http://www.frontline.org.za/Files/PDF/murder_southafrica%20(5).pdf
    ... But he helped end apartheid. What's your point?

Maybe confirm, or people will just assume you're either going against the grain for the sake of it, or a bit of an apartheid fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

RIP Nelson Monks.

Too soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    What Mandela did is inspire endless generations of downtrodden and persecuted people around the world. He became President of a country that traditionally treated his people as slaves. I dont see anyone up North inspiring anyone to that extent, do you?

John Hume and David Trimble like Nelson Mandella won the Nobel peace prize.

Apartheid actually took place in Northen Ireland too. Its not well documented because of the people who carried it out.

There may have been no slavery but Catholics had no working or voting rights, poor education, less opportunities so I suppose its all relative to it region.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

jebus84 wrote: »
    Mandela, while you're up there in heaven, fist bump Paul Walker
    And say hello to Jimmy Saville and tell Roy Orbison we will never forget him. If you could have held on one more day Nelson you could share anniversaries with Roy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Hope Bono is ok...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

SeaDaily wrote: »

Brilliant, out of the mouths of babes and satirists...RIP Nelson Mandela, saw you in Croke Park and I'll be telling the grandkids about it in years to come....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Such a coincidence that he died the same night as the Mandela movie is being premiered in London.
    The PR people couldn't have planned better publicity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

... But he helped end apartheid. What's your point?

Maybe confirm, or people will just assume you're either going against the grain for the sake of it, or a bit of an apartheid fan.

I disagree with aprtheid, but the country is worse off as a whole (crime, poverty etc have increased) since it ended. I have family in South Africa, and my mother (and her parents etc.) grew up there too. They'd all say the same thing aswell, the country was just not well managed at all. At the least the whites knew what they were doing, but I disagree with authoritarian regimes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

ElChe32 wrote: »
    "As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison."

Who says prison doesn't work? He never reoffended after 23 years inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

quote from twitter
    You don't have to agree with his politics to see that when he finally had the upper hand, he consciously chose peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I disagree with aprtheid, but the country is worse off as a whole (crime, poverty etc have increased) since it ended. I have family in South Africa, and my mother (and her parents etc.) grew up there too. They'd all say the same thing aswell, the country was just not well managed at all. At the least the whites knew what they were doing, but I disagree with authoritarian regimes.

Okily dokily.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Martin1979

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

People love the attention

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

A chapter in the history of the world has now closed. The contribution he made to this world will never be forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

RIP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement