Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nelson Mandela has passed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

In '89 this song was being played as his release was thought to imminent.

Great song:

A truly great inspirational man, R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I disagree with aprtheid, but the country is worse off as a whole (crime, poverty etc have increased) since it ended. I have family in South Africa, and my mother (and her parents etc.) grew up there too. They'd all say the same thing aswell, the country was just not well managed at all. At the least the whites knew what they were doing, but I disagree with authoritarian regimes.

Rightio.

• Site Banned Posts: 14 Beavishead

I don't know much about Nelson Mandela, but I do know that South Africa is going down the toilet.

South Africa will turn into another Zimbabwe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Rest in Peace Brutha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

I disagree with aprtheid, but the country is worse off as a whole (crime, poverty etc have increased) since it ended. I have family in South Africa, and my mother (and her parents etc.) grew up there too. They'd all say the same thing aswell, the country was just not well managed at all. At the least the whites knew what they were doing, but I disagree with authoritarian regimes.

Is this the Afrikaner equivalent of "I'm not a racist but..."

I have been to SA many times over the last 15 years. I often hear that type of nostalgia for the good old days. But only from Afrikaans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sinead88

"No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his back ground, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite."

What an incredible man, and such sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Man was a hero for what he did for his people, true inspiration to us all. Rest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭AerynSun

I'm sad that a post about the passing of a great, great man gets trolled by people who can't save the racist digs and political commentary for another thread.

Rest in Peace, tata Madiba. I honour you, and I thank you for your legacy. Hamba kahle. Sleep in peace x

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

gonna have a wild guess and say they were white?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

brevity wrote: »
    People love the attention
    As do you, it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I knew it was coming but that still doesn't dull the pain and sadness of my hero dying. I first learned of him as an impressionable child, watched him walk free as a conscientious teenager, witnessed him change the world as a free thinking adult and now in his death I will mourn him by continuing his fight for a world free of racism, hate and violence.

Thank you Madiba for giving us a better world and may we all continue to do your work. x

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Lucas Castroman

Paul Walker, Nelson Mandela. These things happen in threes, ya know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Leo Vradkar next then hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

That's a disgusting thing to say.

no disrespect to Paul Walker but really- having him in same sentence as Mandela?

plus that whole "happen in threes" thing is a load of horsesh!te

cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

As do you, it seems.

Huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Just bought and downloaded his book, night all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear".

NM

rwg wrote: »
    "I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear".

NM

That is basically the main theme of Harry Potter :(

Thoughts with his family and all of South Africa :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Late Date has just begun with "Free Nelson Mandela". Bawling. He lived to a great age, and it's no surprise, but still, this privileged white girl is very upset at his death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Indeed. 95!

Paul Walker only hit 90.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

R.I.P. Madiba.
    You inspired people from Johannesburg to Belfast and from Oakland to Ramallah through your struggle for equality and fight to end apartheid.

Johannesburg, Oakland and Belfast are all well on the path to being equal societies, hopefully Ramallah and other cities around the world where racist apartheid policies are still enacted on innocent people will follow suit soon and the world of equality you fought to see becomes a reality.

P.s.

F*ck any ignorant low life piece of scumbag sh*t who tries to undermine the contribution to humanity that Madiba had made and uses his death as an excuse to pontificate their disgusting, racist, neo-con bollocks.

Did expect to be feeling this genuinely sad :(

The greatest human being of the last 50 years.

RIP Nelson

Didn't*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

RIP to a legend, who was one of those genuinely good people, who sacrificed everything for his people.

Although isn't it funny how he led a bombing campaign and was a hero according to our media? It seems you can only be branded a terrorist in our media's eyes if your Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Seaneh wrote: »
    P.s.

F*ck any ignorant low life piece of scumbag sh*t who tries to undermine the contribution to humanity that Madiba had made and uses his death as an excuse to pontificate their disgusting, racist, neo-con bollocks.

Amen to that as well as those who want to tarnish his reputation by attaching their "false" idols and goals to his distinguished accomplishments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

"South Africa is still burdened by a relatively high rate of poverty and unemployment, and is also ranked in the top 10 countries in the world for income inequality

World Bank research shows that South Africa has one of the widest gaps between per capita GNP versus its Human Development Index ranking, with only Botswana showing a larger gap.

According to official estimates, a quarter of the population is unemployed, however unofficial estimates put the real unemployment rate as high as 40%.

A quarter of South Africans live on less than US $1.25 a day.

Crime is considered a major or very severe constraint on investment by 30% of enterprises in South Africa, putting crime among the four most frequently mentioned constraints.

According to the 2011 UNAIDS Report, South Africa has an estimated 5.6 million people living with HIV – more than any other country in the world. "

It is estimated that 500,000 women are raped in South Africa every year with the average woman more likely to be raped than complete secondary school.
    A 2009 survey found one in four South African men admitted to raping someone and another survey found one in three women out of 4000 surveyed women said they had been raped in the past year.
    Rapes are also perpetrated by children (some as young as ten).
    Child and baby rape incidences are some of the highest in the world, largely as a result of the virgin cleansing myth, and a number of high-profile cases (sometimes as young as eight months) have outraged the nation.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2057744,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8107039.stm

http://www.frontline.org.za/Files/PDF/murder_southafrica%20(5).pdf

All true, and nobody is disputing these facts with you. But, - This is not the thread for that discussion.

My OH was born and lived in Apartheid SA till she was fifteen. Her family (all white and of Irish/English descent) have suffered more than most due to the way the country has gone. None are left there now, either all dead from attacks in their homes, some maimed, or just got to hell out. One of my Gf's early memories is queueing all day with her parents to vote for Mandela.
    They weren't farmers, or slavers or racists. They still have friends there who find life today very difficult under that thug Jacob Zuma's quasi-dictatorship.

But, none of them express your views.

I have just spent the last two hours comforting her on the loss of her greatest hero.

Long post, and totally off topic, but I felt it important to point out that the vast majority of white South Africans do not share this poster's ridiculous and ignorant views.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

SeaDaily wrote: »
    It's not. Saying people have "passed" when referring to them dying is the stupidest possible expression. It is just ridiculous.

Its been respectfull not ridiculous or stupid. Why should it bother you so. Get over it move on.

RIP to the man I remember I was very young when he was released and saying so what. Yes he was a terrorist once but he decided to give it up and work another way for peace and did not make snide remarks unlike a certain politican in this island (yesterday been one). That is why he will be up there for me for inspiration. If there is a heaven or eternal peace as I believe then he would be there I would say

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

gandalf wrote: »
    Amen to that as well as those who want to tarnish his reputation by attaching their "false" idols and goals to his distinguished accomplishments.

Ah yes. Because equal rights in the US, Northern Ireland, Palestine and elsewhere around the world are of lesser importance than the same aims in South Africa, despite the fact that those are 3 cases of Apartheid policies from around the world which Mandela specifically mentioned himself in his own lifetime as struggles he drew inspiration from and causes he supported personally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement