Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nelson Mandela has passed

Options

Comments

Obama summed it up well:

"He doesn't belong to us anymore, he belongs to the Ages....."

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Seaneh wrote: »
    Ah yes. Because equal rights in the US, Northern Ireland, Palestine and elsewhere around the world are of lesser importance than the same aims in South Africa, despite the fact that those are 3 cases of Apartheid policies from around the world which Mandela specifically mentioned himself in his own lifetime as struggles he drew inspiration from and causes he supported personally.

Get the **** out of here with that bull****, your're a better poster and a more intelligent person than that Gandalf. I'd expect better from you than pandering to the mouth breathing gob****es who thanked your post.

Seaneh you are getting too precious in your old age. I agreed with the sentiment of your post in full. My comment was aimed at those who are comparing Nelson Mandela and his accomplishments with Gerry Adams and his ilk in earlier comments in this thread.

I find it disturbing and quite sad that certain elements of the user base here are using this sad day to further their blinkered and limited cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

RIP Madiba.

One of the finest men of modern times has died, a true servant of the South African people who touched the conscience of the world.
    “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

jebus84 wrote: »
    Mandela, while you're up there in heaven, fist bump Paul Walker

Tell me you just did not try to bring those 2 together seriously. While both sad deaths they do not compare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

johnr1 wrote: »
    All true, and nobody is disputing these facts with you. But, - This is not the thread for that discussion.

My OH was born and lived in Apartheid SA till she was fifteen. Her family (all white and of Irish/English descent) have suffered more than most due to the way the country has gone. None are left there now, either all dead from attacks in their homes, some maimed, or just got to hell out. One of my Gf's early memories is queueing all day with her parents to vote for Mandela.
    They weren't farmers, or slavers or racists. They still have friends there who find life today very difficult under that thug Jacob Zuma's quasi-dictatorship.

But, none of them express your views.

I have just spent the last two hours comforting her on the loss of her greatest hero.

Long post, and totally off topic, but I felt it important to point out that the vast majority of white South Africans do not share this poster's ridiculous and ignorant views.

Its better not to even dignify some people in this thread with a response. Some people will seemingly take any opportunity, no matter how inappropriate, to promote their own idiotic point of view. There's a time and a place to discuss Mandela's political views and views on violence and terrorism, but this certainly isnt it.

Nice post by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

gandalf wrote: »
    Seaneh you are getting too precious in your old age. I agreed with the sentiment of your post in full. My comment was aimed at those who are comparing Nelson Mandela and his accomplishments with Gerry Adams and his ilk in earlier comments in this thread.

I find it disturbing and quite sad that certain elements of the user base here are using this sad day to further their blinkered and limited cause.

I'm a but emotional. I edited my post when I realized the context of yours. but you were too quick for me ninja edit.

I apologize unreservedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭dasa29

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'm a but emotional. I edited my post when I realized the context of yours. but you were too quick for me ninja edit.

I apologize unreservedly.

NPs I was trying to be ambigious because I didn't want the "usual suspects" to jump in and derail the thread. Hopefully they get a bit of cop on and leave it for us to mourn the great man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

RIP Nelson Mandela :( I respected him a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

gandalf wrote: »
    NPs I was trying to be ambigious because I didn't want the "usual suspects" to jump in and derail the thread. Hopefully they get a bit of cop on and leave it for us to mourn the great man.

I'm getting totes emosh in my old age.

Also I had 3 beers earlier and then took some phenergan to help me sleep, so my brain is a little bit off center at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

RIP to Mandela

Just my 2 cents on some of the discussion. We should not forget any of Mandela life the good or the bad. I do not think he would want anyone to. I have allready a post on this so I will get it brief. Why do I think Mandela is different from certain people of this island we because as far as I can remember since he entered politics and became the leader I do not think he made snide comments about topics unlike Adams and McGuinness such as what Adams said last night in relation to the cullusion. That is why he stands better in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Everyone was quite personally acquainted with Mandela. More RIP sh*tology for the sake of it. Get the thru'pence'orth in - more long-standing posters the better, and more disingenuous thanks offering. Gandalf is in mourning so he says. Really?

I'll take the outrage and ire for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

He did what needed to be done and fair play to him but surley he was a terrorist,and im not knocking him as i say he did what had to be done and was right. RIP NELSON MANDELA

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

If it wasn't for him, Rodney and Del would have nowhere to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Rest in peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

shamrock55 wrote: »
    He did what needed to be done and fair play to him but surley he was a terrorist,and im not knocking him as i say he did what had to be done and was right. RIP NELSON MANDELA

The good old saying, one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

The hero of the anti-apartheid struggle was not the saint we want him to be.

The image of Nelson Mandela as a selfless, humble, freedom fighter turned cheerful, kindly old man, is well established in the West. If there is any international leader on whom we can universally heap praise it is surely he. But get past the halo we’ve placed on him without his permission, and Nelson Mandela had more than a few flaws which deserve attention.

http://thebackbencher.co.uk/3-things-you-didnt-want-to-know-about-nelson-mandela/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

padma wrote: »
    The good old saying, one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

Very true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I can see South Africa really going down the sh*tter now....Oh wait it already has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Mandela sought a South Africa where Franklin D Roosevelt's Four Freedoms were actualised:

Freedom of speech
    Freedom of worship
    Freedom from want
    Freedom from fear

If people who think they are freedom fighters only want a society where your freedom is in proportion where you agree with them, and not the freedom to be yourself, then they aren't freedom fighters at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

booth70 wrote: »
    And to come out of prison after 27 years without a hint of vengeance in him

Gandhi and Mandela.....the two greatest human beings that ever lived

Not really, Gandhi was a racist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It will be interesting to see how Cameroon deals with this considering the youth "Conservative/spoiled brats" organisation he was a member of condemned the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

Mod

Trolling/inflammatory posts will see you banned. Comparing him to Irish Politicians counts as the above. Bans are incoming. Save that discussion for another day in another thread/forum.

I dislike the Shinners as much as the next man but thats absolutely ridiculous. Can there be no discussion of someones life when they die or must it be a constant flood of identical RIP posts one after another?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭AerynSun

Asimbonanga

Chorus: Asimbonanga (we have not seen him)
    Asimbonang' umandela thina (we have not seen mandela)
    Laph'ekhon (in the place where he is)
    Laph'ehleli khona (in the place where he is kept)

Oh the sea is cold and the sky is grey
    Look across the island into the bay
    We are all islands till comes the day
    We cross the burning water

Chorus

A seagull wings across the sea
    Broken silence is what I dream
    Who has the words to close the distance
    Between you and me

Chorus

Steve Biko, Victoria Mxenge, Neil Aggett
    Asimbonanga Asimbonang 'umfowethu thina (we have not seen our brother)
    Laph'ekhona (in the place where he is)
    Laph'wafela khona (in the place where he died)

Hey wena (hey you!)
    Hey wena nawe (hey you and you as well)

Siyofika nini la' siyakhona? (when will we arrive at our destination)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I just saw this banner on the BBC.

NELSON MANDELA DIES.

I read it as Nelson man de ladies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

R.I.P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Well this escalated quickly.

Trolls are having an orgy tonight.

Mods I think it best locked.

This discussion has been closed.