Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nelson Mandela has passed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I hope this passing will be an inspiration - to learn. Most of us will have been taught that Mandela was South Africa's Ghandi, without any heed paid to his days as a violent rebel.

What I wish is that those who believe he was one or the other, take the time to read and understand. He is one of the most biographed individuals on earth. Don't languish in your preconceptions. Read, listen, understand. Monster or saviour, he has had an impact on the life of virtually every person on the planet.

I don't know what to think; yet. Because I languish in ignorance of who Mandela fully was. Blinded by the unwavering support he enjoyed in Ireland in the 1980s and 90s. Many, too many biographies, will appear in the next 12 months. But now Is the time to read. Arm yourself so that you may honestly know what happened.

An icon has passed. Regardless of past transgressions, the impact of his words have stretched beyond his intention. Mandela serves as an inspiration for all oppressed peoples on this planet, regardless of colour, religion, sexuality or sex. He will not be missed because he will not be forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

seamus wrote: »
    I hope this passing will be an inspiration - to learn. Most of us will have been taught that Mandela was South Africa's Ghandi, without any heed paid to his days as a violent rebel.

What I wish is that those who believe he was one or the other, take the time to read and understand. He is one of the most biographed individuals on earth. Don't languish in your preconceptions. Read, listen, understand. Monster or saviour, he has had an impact on the life of virtually every person on the planet.

I don't know what to think; yet. Because I languish in ignorance of who Mandela fully was. Blinded by the unwavering support he enjoyed in Ireland in the 1980s and 90s. Many, too many biographies, will appear in the next 12 months. But now Is the time to read. Arm yourself so that you may honestly know what happened.

An icon has passed. Regardless of past transgressions, the impact of his words have stretched beyond his intention. Mandela serves as an inspiration for all oppressed peoples on this planet, regardless of colour, religion, sexuality or sex. He will not be missed because he will not be forgotten.

I recommend this: http://www.amazon.com/Long-Walk-Freedom-Abacus-Anniversary-ebook/dp/B0015T6G2G

Enjoy. It's a fantastic read.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Having recently been profoundly effected by watching 'The Act of Killing'. The fact he awarded South Africa's highest honour to Suharto - the 'Order of Good Hope; is deeply troubling.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 34 PopRocks

Had a good laugh when an old colleague of mine put up a status quoting Mandela about racism and saying he was so wise and such a hero. Last time I saw her, a few months ago, she was giving out stink about getting a black taxi driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

Few people on the thread might just benefit from watching Miracle Rising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

"“During my lifetime I have dedicated myself to this struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die.”" - Mandela

Lets not sugar coat it - in nearly all cases in history an ideal, an aspiration, a dream that big usually involves the spilling of blood. It happened here, America and countless countries around the world.

What's different about Mandela on a personal level is the enormous amount of empathy and lack of bitterness he held towards his enemies.

Anyway, any man who says meeting the Spice Girls was the biggest honour of his life is a good skin in my book. Sense of humour goes a long way in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

"“During my lifetime I have dedicated myself to this struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die.”" - Mandela

Lets not sugar coat it - in nearly all cases in history an ideal, an aspiration, a dream that big usually involves the spilling of blood. It happened here, America and countless countries around the world.

What's different about Mandela on a personal level is the enormous amount of empathy and lack of bitterness he held towards his enemies.

Anyway, any man who says meeting the Spice Girls was the biggest honour of his life is a good skin in my book. Sense of humour goes a long way in life.

Great post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Italia 90 homecoming.
    Jack Charlton and the team.

Perhaps the only time Mandella was overshadowed by others since his release.

And he wasn't complaining.

Anyone who was there will never forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Shout Dust wrote: »
    I dislike the Shinners as much as the next man but thats absolutely ridiculous. Can there be no discussion of someones life when they die or must it be a constant flood of identical RIP posts one after another?

Mod

absolutely ridiculous? You'll have to trust me on this.

Any comparisons will derail the thread. If you want to discuss the similarities between the politics of NI and SA etc, do it else where.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Autumn Moon

RIP Nelson Mandela

Now truly free.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 222 ✭✭harryr711

RIP. He will be fondly remembered in Ireland given the tangible connections that have existed, such as those between Sinn Féin and the ANC, the Dunnes Stores anti-apartheid strikes, the military training and operational support given by the Provisional IRA to the MK (the armed wing of the ANC), and his contribution to the peace process.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

Rip. His humility over adversity is a lesson to us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Bob Geldof on Mandela this morning

"Too long a sacrifice can make a stone of the heart," Yeats reminds us in his great poem 'Easter 1916'.

The true miracle of Mandela was that it did not: 27 years incarceration in appalling conditions of labour and psychological torture, through the destruction of his family and his country, he did not break; and, most remarkably of all, his soul did not harden. Rather, his great intellectual discipline sought to understand the mind of his tormentor.

He learned his language. Studied his history and even came to appreciate and engage in his literature, writing poetry in Afrikaans himself. In that small cell on Robben Island, he and his fellows endured the slights, derision, insults and humiliations of 27 long years. But now he knew his enemy. And as he endured, they withered.

Churchill preached "magnanimity in victory" but who could have imagined the humility, the graciousness, the dignity, the generosity and forgiveness that Mandela displayed to his oppressors upon his final total success?

In private he pitied them. He knew precisely what he was doing. One visitor said: "Mr President you have given great dignity to the black people". Madiba replied instantly (and you can hear the inimitable cadence in his reply): "No, young man you are wrong. I have given dignity to the white man. There is no dignity in the oppressor."

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/bob-geldof-years-of-sacrifice-never-made-stone-of-his-heart-29814708.html

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

R.I.P. Hopefully those he has inspired can have half as much influence on the world.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

seamus wrote: »

QFT.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Lapin wrote: »
    Italia 90 homecoming.
    Jack Charlton and the team.

Perhaps the only time Mandella was overshadowed by others since his release.

And he wasn't complaining.

Anyone who was there will never forget it.

:D I remember that. My Dad, who was a Guard at the time was on duty and he said the crowd was chanting "oh ah Paul McGrath" over and over as they waited for Jack and the lads to come home. Then Nelson Mandella arrived first and people started chanting "Oh ah Paul McGrath's Da" and that Mandella thought this was hillarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

RIP Nilsen Mondello, we'll never forget you...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I don't generally buy into the pious tributes afforded dead leaders, but in this case it is well merited. Mandela knew he had to bring everyone on board and he knew he had to win over sworn enemies to his vision of a democratic, free South Africa. He did that - look at the then apartheid leader PW Botha in particular, and the many painstaking meetings Mandela carved out with Botha's officials just to get to meet him in person - while still in prison, and finally to meet him, break the ice, speak Afrikaans with him, win him over, or at least to get Botha to understand where he was coming from, that took some doing, no question about it. Vey intelligent, analytical man. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

RIP Mandela, your long walk is over now.

A truely remarkable man.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Much loved and inspirational. Farewell, you will be remembered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

So the end justifies the means? I'm sure all those civilians killed at the hands of his group Umkhonto we Sizwe agree with you.

South Africa is going the way of Rhodesia. A once prosperous nation heading straight into the garbage,
    Prosperous when?. Do you mean under apartheid? Prosperous for the white minority alright. SA would have torn itself to shreds the moment apartheid ended if not for Mandela.
    Your posts are idiotic and inflammatory. Please stop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Leo Vradkar next then hopefully.

What a horrible attitude to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Some proper cringe worthy posts in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Have to admit it is rather ironic the view of some people in here, considering he was the head of a terrorist group.
    How would you have dealt with apartheid after your peaceful protests resulted in civilians being fired upon and killed?
    Genuine question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

How would you have dealt with apartheid after your peaceful protests resulted in civilians being fired upon and killed?
    Genuine question.

I think were agreeing on the same issue here!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The world and the human race is a poorer place today for his passing.

That is not something that can often be said of our leaders.
    This man was an inspiration and a beacon of hope to many.

RIP to a great leader, a great man.

I am not allowed discuss …

One of those moments when you hear about it that you note what you were doing at the time of hearing about it as is such a huge event regardless of how most had expected him to pass with his sickness over the last year or so.

An unbelievable human being and I think the one thing that made him so great was after being in prison for 3 decades he came out willing to talk to the administration that had put him there. If only people in positions of power in the rest of world could follow suit with the humility and courage Nelson Mandela showed the world would be such a better place. A great example for us all in how we should live & to never tolerate oppression in any shape or form. Life is far too short to fill it with hate, try the opposite and anyone will find it is always better for you & the people around you. Rest in peace Mr Mandela.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I was reading on facebook of Muhammad Ali paying tribute to Nelson Mandela. Some of the vile comments from some were extremely disturbing. One guy was saying Mandela was a terrorist. I looked into the guys FB page and the fecker was saying that Muslims should be in body bags :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Why are people so up in arms when someone mentions he was a terrorist?? He was, it shouldn't even be cause for debate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement