Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Ronaldsay sheep.

Options
  • 05-12-2013 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

Well lads.

I happened upon a couple of North Ronaldsay ewes a month ago and bought them, couldn't find a ram for them anywhere so I let them off with a couple of blackface rams better to get something outta them next year. They're both broken mouth so I would love to breed a couple of pure replacements before their time is up ( truth be told tis probably up already ). So does anyone out there have a North Ronaldsay ram or ram lamb? Tis a serious long shot as these sheep are very rare and I don't fancy the spin to the Orkney's, but still worth a try. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

would agree, its a serious long shot, surprised they are in Ireland at all, you sure they were not soay sheep, look kinda of similar and seem to be more common?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Try a €3 shout out on DD, and try contacting Adam Henson? Maybe ETTG would know of someone, maybe.............. not. Try looking on Facebook or Twitter, there maybe a group for rare breeds somewhere out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭foxylock

razor8 wrote: »
    would agree, its a serious long shot, surprised they are in Ireland at all, you sure they were not soay sheep, look kinda of similar and seem to be more common?

No definitely have the right breed everything about their characteristics adds up, eleven months to find them a boyfriend

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Wooly Admirer

They seem to have a society/club - http://nrsf.moonfruit.com/

They might organise a bit of semen for you. Stick a spong in your ewes and bring them somewhere for AI. Costly though.

If you give them a ring they might know someone here with a few of them. Best hope might be to give the ewes to someone and get them tipped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭foxylock

thanks for the suggestions lads will follow up on them through the winter months. It would be great to help preserve a breed that is currently endangered. But looking forward to seeing what the blackface ronaldsay x looks like in March all going well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement