Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC is really loud lately

Options
  • 06-12-2013 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Yo,

I built a computer >2 years ago and it runs (mostly) fine but the last few months it's been getting so loud. Fans just constantly running on high.

I opened it up and cleared away all of the large lumps of dust with my fingers but I don't have one of those air cans to clean it properly plus I don't really know what I'm doing. Also I can't really see much dust anyway...

Also it's a clean Windows 8 ( :( ) install so it's not a software issue.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,452 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Don't listen to that nonsense about air cans, it's not a camera lens, use the hoover to clean it properly. I've opened up and upgraded and cleaned PCs since the early 1980s, a hoover never did any damage to a PC that I've been inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Yo,

Also it's a clean Windows 8 ( :( ) install so it's not a software issue.

Anyone have any suggestions?

seems to be a fair bit on the internet about fans running fast after Win8 install.

https://www.google.com.au/#q=fans+running+on+high+on+windows+8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Hmm yeah it has suddenly got more noticable the last day or two and I installed Win8 just a few days ago. Might use some program to change the fan speed. Hopefully nothing will melt...

Might give the hoover a try but I'm not convinced it'll make much of a difference :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Downloaded a program called FanSpeed or something and used it to set the offending fan to "software controlled". Running normally again. Please advise if that will break everything!

Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Run Speccy(Or CPU-Z and MSI Afterburner) to check temps. Idle you should be looking at 50-60 degrees at most, probably a good bit less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

vaccums are fine but not the best solution for total cleanliness. Overkill maybe, but I use an air compressor out in my garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Overheal wrote: »
    vaccums are fine but not the best solution for total cleanliness. Overkill maybe, but I use an air compressor out in my garage.

+1. Got a mini compressor which is perfect. Just be careful the is a moisture filter on it or you can dampen components.

Advertisement