Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you do if your club ceased to exist?

• 06-12-2013 12:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭

What would you, as a supporter, do if the team you support went under and was no more? Obviously the lads who follow Irish clubs will have more experience of this being a reality than the Liverpool, United and Chelsea fans.

Personally, I couldn't imagine starting to watch another club after watching Liverpool for about 30 years. I do go and watch my local LOI side aswell but just don't feel the same passion as I do for Liverpool.

Please don't turn this into a slanging match regarding "bar stool fans". It's something I am genuinely curious about.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Only watch football on tv.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Only watch football on tv.

Would you try and get behind another club?

Would you try and get behind another club?

Nope.

I would still keep an eye out for teams in England that Pats players went to (Man u, Boro, Brum, Wimbledon etc:)

But no wouldnt try get behind another team in the fan sense as in going to see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I can't even imagine what it would be like to start supporting another club. Even if it was for genuine reasons I would still feel like an imposter, I don't know if I would ever then consider myself a real fan of the new club.

I'm in my mid-thirties, I imagine I would just drift away from having much interest in the games anymore. I would probably watch it the same as I watch American Football on a Sunday, something to do rather than something important.

I can't even imagine what it would be like to start supporting another club. Even if it was for genuine reasons I would still feel like an imposter, I don't know if I would ever then consider myself a real fan of the new club.

I'm in my mid-thirties, I imagine I would just drift away from having much interest in the games anymore. I would probably watch it the same as I watch American Football on a Sunday, something to do rather than something important.

yeah he articulated better than I did.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I would have a sad as it would hit me right in the feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭bigron2109

I would probably pick another under achieving team like Liverpool, and wait another 20 odd years to see us win the league. But i don't think i would have the same passion or interest in that. It would be like your one love, and no one else after matches it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It would be annoying and upsetting but I would continue to watch football. 99% of the football I watch features teams I dont support already.

Personally I find people who only watch their own team and ignore every other game to be plastic and a bit fake. ....they are only in it for the reflected glory and social status and not because they actually enjoy the game. Ive a united supporter friend who only watches United and nothing else. His knowledge of the game and other teams is shocking. He pretends to get angry and upset when they lose but hes just posing.

The viewing figures for tournaments like the world cup and champions league drop quite a bit when the english teams go out and I find that both telling and a little sad.

Kirby wrote: »
    It would be annoying and upsetting but I would continue to watch football. 99% of the football I watch features teams I dont support already.

Personally I find people who only watch their own team and ignore every other game to be plastic and a bit fake. ....they are only in it for the reflected glory and social status and not because they actually enjoy the game. Ive a united supporter friend who only watches United and nothing else. His knowledge of the game and other teams is shocking. He pretends to get angry and upset when they lose but hes just posing.

The viewing figures for tournaments like the world cup and champions league drop quite a bit when the english teams go out and I find that both telling and a little sad.

So fans of **** teams who go week in week out to their team mean nothing to you? yah know those people in the ground at the matches you watch on tv.

I love the above post.....everything thats wrong with football in one post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Considering my primary team plays in a different country to the one in which I live, it would make no difference to my match going habits - I'd still go and get my live fix of football every fortnight with my local side.

I would also continue to look out for the results/news of other teams I support and passively follow, my tv viewing habits would still be the same - four or five games a weekend, and the teams I currently dislike would continue to be the teams I dislike.

So really the only thing that would change is that I would no longer support an English team and save a bit of money on merchandise.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    So fans of **** teams who go week in week out to their team mean nothing to you? yah know those people in the ground at the matches you watch on tv.

I love the above post.....everything thats wrong with football in one post.

Im out every saturday morning watching football in the rain while you're in bed.....so I dont know where you got the notion that im a bar stooler from. Perhaps I hit a nerve.

And your glee at attacking another poster is one of the reasons why people are afraid to post in this forum.. Wind it back a bit, yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Kirby wrote: »

I look forward to the day when more than one English team are knocked out of the World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

I look forward to the day when more than one English team are knocked out of the World Cup

What club do you support?

If my yeam didn't exist I would just be watching for entertainment. Most of the games I watch don't feature my team anyway. I just watch it cos I love football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

dobman88 wrote: »
    What club do you support?

If my yeam didn't exist I would just be watching for entertainment. Most of the games I watch don't feature my team anyway. I just watch it cos I love football.

What does it matter who i support?

Anyway i watch and enjoy football outwith the team i support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Basically support whoever are playing united or Liverpool that week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

What does it matter who i support?

Anyway i watch and enjoy football outwith the team i support

I was only asking man, calm down. It doesn't matter but it's a discussion forum so I just asked the question, it's usually how discussions go.

dobman88 wrote: »
    I was only asking man, calm down. It doesn't matter but it's a discussion forum so I just asked the question, it's usually how discussions go.

Discussions don't go that way round these parts. Here it usually goes one person states their opinion and then gets snarky attacks. It's why we have so many lurkers. Too many people more interested in pettiness as opposed to actual discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I love watching live football, so if my local LOI team ceased to exist, I'd watch more junior ball in the area. I'll always watch good matches on the TV also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

When Shels were looking like folding I was thinking this, where would I go on a Friday night.

No way I'd ever darken the doors of Dalymount, Richer or Tallaght on a regular basis, I hate them clubs too much to suddenly turn around start giving them money every week. UCD isn't a runner either for me.

There's no way I'd be able to regularly get to Drogheda or Dundalk, and even if it was possible, I'd probably do a murder because of the accents.

So then there's Bray. My feelings toward Bray Wanderers are a big "meh", don't hate them, don't really like them either, they just are.

My wife is from there too, so they'd likely be the ones I'd start to frequent.

would I ever become a proper "fan", probably not, but going to live football is not something I could ever give up.

Maybe I could become Tom Junior, he might take me under his wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

If Spurs did not exist, I could not start supporting another premiership team. I have been supporting them since 1987. I watch most matches at the weekend on TV so I would continue to do that. I wouldn't have the same level of excitement or anticipation as I normally would have. However, I also wouldn't have the sick feeling when Spurs lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Enter the FAI buildings with a petrol can

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

This thought has crossed my mind on a number of occasions, and LFC over the past decade has giving me more than enough reason to, but thankfully those dark days are now behind us.

a weird concern but developed when I would think of such a thing and that is what type of a MKII club would develop out of the ashes.

*hypothetically speaking*..
    lets say Liverpool had gone to the wall then I am sure the 'brand' would still have a massive attractiveness, and just like say Wimbledon another club with a sham name would soon pop up.
    Well that thought scares me and I don't think I could follow say Anfield F.C in the Conference, yet I am sure the majority of original fans would.
    I don't know if its just me but if the original LFC no longer existed then I would find it hard to follow the spin-off version.

I know others will say well what about Rangers? thats completely different.
    Rangers holding onto their name/brand was an absolutely critical aspect of their administration no matter how trivial that may sound.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Agueroooo wrote: »
    This thought that has crossed my mind on a number of occasions, and LFC over the past decade has giving me more than enough reason to, but thankfully those dark days are now behind us.

a weird concern but developed when I would think of such a thing and that is what type of a MKII club would develop out of the ashes.

*hypothetically speaking*..
    lets say Liverpool had gone to the wall then I am sure the 'brand' would still have a massive attractiveness, and just like say Wimbledon another club with a sham name would soon pop up.
    Well that thought scares me and I don't think I could follow say Anfield F.C in the Conference, yet I am sure the majority of original fans would.
    I don't know if its just me but if the original LFC no longer existed then I would find it hard to follow the spin-off version.

I know others will say well what about Rangers? thats completely different.
    Rangers holding onto their name/brand was an absolutely critical aspect of their administration no matter how trivial that may sound.

There already is an AFC Liverpool that were created by fans disillusioned by the Hicks/Gillett ownership and modern football. They are the Liverpool equivalent of FC United although a few years behind them in terms of development and less high profile.

Edit: Level 9 of the football league pyramid compared to FC United's level 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

joeguevara wrote: »
    If Spurs did not exist, I could not start supporting another premiership team. I have been supporting them since 1987. I watch most matches at the weekend on TV so I would continue to do that. I wouldn't have the same level of excitement or anticipation as I normally would have. However, I also wouldn't have the sick feeling when Spurs lose.

It would be very difficult to replace that level of mediocrity, underachievement, living in ones neighbours shadow type feeling alright - you could start following Rangers I guess :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

When Shels were looking like folding I was thinking this, where would I go on a Friday night.

No way I'd ever darken the doors of Dalymount, Richer or Tallaght on a regular basis, I hate them clubs too much to suddenly turn around start giving them money every week. UCD isn't a runner either for me.

There's no way I'd be able to regularly get to Drogheda or Dundalk, and even if it was possible, I'd probably do a murder because of the accents.

So then there's Bray. My feelings toward Bray Wanderers are a big "meh", don't hate them, don't really like them either, they just are.

My wife is from there too, so they'd likely be the ones I'd start to frequent.

would I ever become a proper "fan", probably not, but going to live football is not something I could ever give up.

Maybe I could become Tom Junior, he might take me under his wing.

When the reality of Shels demise started at the end of the 2006 season, I contemplated who I'd follow, like a lot of fans in the days after our League win. Most agree that it would be following the Shels AFL side as a starter, with the hope a Shels side could be fielded back into the 1st Division in following years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If I am honest I think I would most likely jump on the band wagon of another team I have a soft spot for and would end up supporting either Spurs or Newcastle.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    If I am honest I think I would most likely jump on the band wagon of another team I have a soft spot for and would end up supporting either Spurs or Newcastle.

Don't want to get into this side of it, but I'd say it's miles easier for someone to go from supporting Man Utd on their couch to supporting Man City or vice versa should one cease to exist. I wouldn't be caught dead with a season ticket at Rovers, Bohs or Pats or any other LoI side for that fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Follow the Liverpool U21s. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Don't want to get into this side of it, but I'd say it's miles easier for someone to go from supporting Man Utd on their couch to supporting Man City or vice versa should one cease to exist. I wouldn't be caught dead with a season ticket at Rovers, Bohs or Pats or any other LoI side for that fact.

That is a fair point as Irish EPL supporters do not have the rivalry that say Mancs would have with each other with City/United or Scousers would have with Pool/Everton. As a Man U fan City were never a big deal to me whereas Liverpool I would have seen as the derby club because in Dublin in the 80's you were either United or Liverpool with a light sprinkling of the odd Arsenal (obviously exceptions existed but not too many in my experience).
    With LOI you have sat in the opposing stands often enough screaming for your team to slaughter the opposition so it would indeed be harder to switch in that case - would be like a Dubs GAA fan starting to support Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Which is a very valid point and I understand fully, but in light of this can you not then understand why someone from somewhere that has no LOI team , for example Tipperary, has absolutly no interest or desire to support a LOI team?

Which is a very valid point and I understand fully, but in light of this can you not then understand why someone from somewhere that has no LOI team , for example Tipperary, has absolutly no interest or desire to support a LOI team?

Different debate for one of the other threads on here tbh, just wanted to make the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It's something I've thought about a lot, because my club (wexford youths) has a very real possibility of folding at pretty much any time. I could never support another LOI club in the same way, but I'm sure I'd go to the odd game. Might just settle for supporting Man City from my laptop, but I wouldn't be nearly as happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I would continue to watch football but I don't think I could follow another team ever . The only team that I would really follow would be the international team . The rest of the time watching football would be down to the fact I enjoy the sport .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I suppose most of us would start following Dortmund.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's something I've thought about a lot, because my club (wexford youths) has a very real possibility of folding at pretty much any time. I could never support another LOI club in the same way, but I'm sure I'd go to the odd game. Might just settle for supporting Man City from my laptop, but I wouldn't be nearly as happy.

I couldn't believe it when Kilkenny City folded. I had just come back to Kilkenny and was looking forward to watching them. I used to come home on weeks that they'd be playing at home to get a match in. A couple of years later I passed my drivers license and started going to Shamrock Rovers as it was only a 40 minute drive from Carlow where I was working and an hour from my house. I do give the odd groan at matches and I have a jersey and a couple of bits but it isn't the same as following City even though I would consider myself a Rovers supporter. I know some of the City fans go and watch Waterford or Wexford now and some give Dave Mul a bit of support at Bohs.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

I have a mate who is a Hibernian fan who moved to his wifes hometown and is now a Cambridge United ST holder. Logistics mean that regular Easter Road trips are scarce so he adopted his nearest club to satisfy his need for live football.

Ireland being so small it's not so much of an issue but if I were to find my self relocated to Cork or Limerick then chances are I'd get a season ticket for their clubs. Dundalk folding then I'd have to dust off my claret and blue scarf and discover a love for Star Bars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Very similar to Captain Havoc, when Kildare County went out of business it was strange. I remained interested in the League of Ireland and go up to the odd Rovers game but it isn't the same, have never quite felt as part of it, although it is still very enjoyable whenever I can go. Have probably got back into following English football again, would watch a lot of Liverpool games when they are on, but haven't felt the same about a team since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

My life expectancy would certainly increase anyway!

Be gutted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Ajax are my 2nd club, so I'd support them, I guess. Though to be realistic, the thought of watching the dutch league every week doesn't sound mad appealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hard to say whether my consumption of alcohol would go up or down if that happened. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'd mix up my match attending rather than going to see just one team. Eventually I would probably warm to another club. I think it is a bit silly to just follow one club and hate everyone else. I think there are a large section of football fans that hate football but like the teams they choose to follow and that's it.

Advertisement