Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 8 on Steam

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The battle system is fast paced and quick, it looks gorgeous, has a great soundtrack, has some great chartacters and while the story is weak it's knowingly so. It doesn't get bogged down in silly philosphising like some later FF games, it just concentrates on being a fun adventure which is all an RPG really needs to be. The homages to the older FF games also help a lot.

I think you are just taking it too seriously. It's just a silly fun cartoony adventure and I find it works a lot better than the po-faced seriousness of some later FF games. It's a homage to the games before FFVI where you're out to save the world for a very flimsy reason but mostly because you're having fun going so :)

I guess this is the main thing why I disliked it so much. I always loved FF games for their story, not for their mechanics. The visuals, story, characters, character art style ( those god damn rats.... ) just disconnect me from the whole experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well for me as long as the story is well paced and doesn't interrupt the flow of a RPG then it's good for me. Really though other than FF6 the stories in FF games have been pretty weak, it's more a series I play becasue it's usually well paced and fast and every so often like with FFV, FFVIII or FFX the mechanics are great and I enjoy them as well. Mechanically FFIX is a bit simplistic, only a little less so than FFVII but both of those have a nice pace to them so I end up not minding so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

SeantheMan wrote: »
    They just need to get FF9 onto Steam now ! :D

Need FFX then, need some blitzball :D loved that game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The battle system is fast paced and quick

FF IX has one of the slowest battle speeds of any FF game.

Great game, but fast paced it is not.

VIII is probably my most played FF game. Cool opening sequence, huge amount of customisation and lots to explore. Also has the best mini-game in the series.

Junctioning was easy to use if you just paid attention to the tutorial.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Last time i Played Final Fantasy 8 was 13 years ago, my ex was been brought into hospital to give birth to my son as I was right outside the door of the last boss. I never did go back and finish it :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The load times were a drag like in all FF games in the PS1 era but I found the decent encounter rate and pace of the battles (once you were in them) was good enough to not drag the game down. FFVII was much faster paced in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

chrislad wrote: »
    Also, seems like this has the same music issue that FFVII has/had.

They patched the previous IIRC so very strange for them to roll out the midi's again knowing how unpopular it was the last time.

:D I can't believe they finally released it on steam .... FF7 & 8 has to be my all time favorite RPG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Kotaku are Kotaku, but I'll admit, I laughed.

kotaku.com/squall-reacts-to-final-fantasy-viii-on-steam-1478116837

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Looking back on it, Squall was my first ever encounter with an emo :P

• Advertisement

Looking back on it, Squall was my first ever encounter with an emo :P

Whatever.

Whatever.

But Retro, I'm only trying to highlight something that may be relevant and a similar experience for others. Don't you think that's interesting ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

But Retro, I'm only trying to highlight something that may be relevant and a similar experience for others. Don't you think that's interesting ?

Pushtrak wrote: »

Squall...I mean...Retro/Push....you're an arsehole :P , I don't know why we all stick by you for so long. If we had any sense we'd leave you crying in your room, your a complete killjoy

IMG_20111230_202109.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Not interested in giving any of my money to Square Enix of all people when I already own the game. I can just emulate the thing and with all my old saves if I really wanted to play it.

Advertisement