Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*Cough*Im trying to make a game*cough*

• 06-12-2013 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

So im trying a game, my first game ever. some may say john dont reach for the sun you know what will happen dont you..
    yes thats right john nothing your far to short and arent in space so there for nothing will happen you will only realize
    the finality of it all and become a manic depressive.

Then that was it hit me, ive nothing else to do so i thought i would try make a game, im trying to make a platformer i mention in
    the other topic how to be cool. After that i had to re rigged my model, done a few animations bought a scripting platformer kit,
    Story boarded an intro, doodled up some demo level idea, tried to get use to unity and i am now kind of doing it.
    So00 ehmm if you would like to follow my work i may post it here if thats allowed, if not i update my blog needlessly, some say to much others say i have no friends.

I may from time to time run into trouble and was hoping if any helpful boards people who use unity
    may be able to answer any of my most likely dumb questions if they arise, which i will ask here.

So this what i got so far

http://dublinnights.blogspot.ie/

Not alot, zero art work for it on the blog, thats kinda the part i hate. Im dubious of putting to much of the idea online.
    Had some bloke taking my stuff and pretending it was his :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Really good work there :)
    It looks like you have a fairly good understanding of unity and basic programming.
    Off to a great start there.
    I'm developing a 3D game with a start up using Unity.
    So I am happy to fill in any gaps when you have questions I'm able answer.
    Are you using Java script or C# by the way? Oh just rechecked, C# very nice! there is hope for you yet haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Can be hard at times but ignore the negativity and doubt. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and see where it takes you :)

It's a really good start. If you can create the art and get to grips with programming, you're in a strong position.

I use unity too, and will keep an eye out for any questions. I'd also recommend Unity answers if you haven't already been using it. About 90% of the questions I put up have been answered there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Thanks guys, I will check out unity answers i dont know any good resource or information sites for it actually, the thing i find very hard is finding information because if you dont know the right question to ask so its hard to get the answer you want. I had this problem when i started out in maya which was annoying.

Basically at the moment im trying to find out how to a add in a turning animation from when i turn left to right etc and basically anything about animation states i just keep finding crap online.

Afraid I can't help much with 3d models, have been using sprite sheets to date. Here's a few topics that might be useful:

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/302960/turn-leftright-animation.html
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/565095/how-to-make-a-turn-animation-rotate-my-character-p.html
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/219376/animation-squences-orientation-problem.html

If you can't find something, try posting a question with as much detail as possible, code samples, whether you are using char controller or rigidbody etc.

This is a 3d platformer tutorial. Haven't tried it. I know you probably don't want to move away from working on your own game, but it could be a lot of help in overcoming some of the problems you are likely to encounter along the way.

http://u3d.as/content/unity-technologies/3d-platformer-tutorial/3yF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Looking good, keep it up.

One suggestion - work on your jumping mechanics first before doing the animations. Once your jump feels right, then you can do an animation to match it. It will end up looking much better than doing the animation first and then having a jumping behaviour that doesn't match the animation.

• Advertisement

Thanks yea actually i didnt even think of it like that satch, i shall indeed mess around with different speeds. Not entirely use to animating this way, i usually move all around the place when im working its hard to get the type of movements i want when animating it inn the same spot. And thank you trout those links are actually really helpful my good man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kyotokid

Looks very promising, good work!

Hello, Was wondering if anyone knows how i can get camera's to switch when the player moves of screen and into the other cameras view ? Or their any free scripts for this sort ?

Can you give a little more detail? Are the cameras stationary, or do they follow the player?

I haven't done it, but if you have the camera's distance from character, the camera's viewport and the character position, you could calculate it when the player leaves the camera. Might be a bit of work.

A simpler alternative might be to set up a trigger collider in the level to detect when the player reaches a certain position, and then switch the camera.

You know like in old games like flash back

might need to click through that a bit there

• Advertisement

A box collider (set to trigger) set to detect the character at the exit of each scene would probably work. Shouldn't be too difficult to get it up and running. Might be better options though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/16146/changing-between-cameras.html

Some java script there for switching cams.
    Might give you an idea anyway on one way to do it.

My first though would also to have a trigger collider each side of the screen for switching cams.
    For the architecture of the game level I am not sure the best way to do it efficiently.
    I would probably start out with each level in thier own scene with a load of box's lined up beside and above/below each other for each area of the level.
    Then create a tidy script that has references like an array for the editor for dragging in each camera to a level manager script that is on an empty game object in the same scene as all these box's.

Could make a prefab for a trigger to and just drop it to all areas needed. Infact could probably leave out the manager and have a script with arays for the cams already on it.
    Later for better performance you could stream the areas too. Loading only the box's that are next to the active one.That might require a manager script and a bit more coding.

Once that framework is setup it and the script is going it hopefully would be easy enough to start setting up the structure quite fast for each level and reusing backgrounds and prefabs in each area.

Can't think of a more efficient way so far.

If your really stuck for the script I could probably do it in C# for you. not sure how long it would take or when I would get to it though.
    Haven't done thatbefore, but can't see it being too complcated (I've said that before to my demise though haha).

Hay guys thanks for the replies again, I found out how to do it after a bit searching after reading your post's, its hard to find things when you dont know the terminology for it. But yes i came across how to do it with a scripting plug in called play maker. But il have to buy it bleh 65 usd any of you used it ?

Looks handy and its got 30% off on the unity store now hmmm

Sorry, not familiar with that middleware. Might actually be a little dearer when they detect you are in Ireland.

just got it there actually, 61 euro. Not bad i suppose. Watching some tutorials using it now, looks like it cuts out a lot of scripting which is good for me me :D

Let us know how you get on!

I wont have an update video for a while have some friends helping out on it, doing some 2d level designs so i will post an update when i have some thing worth showing could be a while.

Advertisement