Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hipsters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

how do you mean?

where they actually live or where they hang out?

if it's where they hang out, then Gulpd cafe in the triskel is the place to be at the weekends. The main independent record store Plugd is in the same complex. Other favourites are Callanans pub and Filter cafe on George's Quay. The Pavillion would have a trendy crowd as well.

As for where they live? there's no defined 'hip' neighbourhoods like there would be in North American cities, but St. Lukes and around Douglas St. would have a bohemian element as well as up by Shandon.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

[

As for where they live? there's no defined 'hip' neighbourhoods like there would be in North American cities, but St. Lukes and around Douglas St. would have a bohemian element as well as up by Shandon.[/QUOTE]

Shandon ,,hipsters,,,,,only gangsters up here boy,,,,,hipsters what a bang:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Model Farm Road. The whole thing with the golf, yachting-shoes and post-'08 Mercs is just a front, chief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

how do you mean?

where they actually live or where they hang out?

if it's where they hang out, then Gulpd cafe in the triskel is the place to be at the weekends. The main independent record store Plugd is in the same complex. Other favourites are Callanans pub and Filter cafe on George's Quay. The Pavillion would have a trendy crowd as well.

As for where they live? there's no defined 'hip' neighbourhoods like there would be in North American cities, but St. Lukes and around Douglas St. would have a bohemian element as well as up by Shandon.

Theres a difference between a trendy crowd and a hipster crowd.

You are right with the likes of Callanans. The place is a dump. No redeeming features at all, but is jammers the whole time. Arthur Maines and The Oval wold be 2 other examples.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

gimmick wrote: »

You are right with the likes of Callanans. The place is a dump. No redeeming features at all, but is jammers the whole time. Arthur Maines and The Oval wold be 2 other examples.

Good pints at a great price, no kids/scumbags, and no blaring music that you have to scream over. Plus it's got that old pub charm.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    Good pints at a great price, no kids/scumbags, and no blaring music that you have to scream over. Plus it's got that old pub charm.

you will find us in the hi b,,,,,,,, bar as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

you will find us in the hi b,,,,,,,, bar as well

I like my carpet.

Shandon ,,hipsters,,,,,only gangsters up here boy,,,,,hipsters what a bang:D

lots of creative people live up around the area. probably because the rent prices are lower due to it's 'reputation'. Very cosmopolitan part of the city these days boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

gimmick wrote: »

Two other examples of jammers I hope you meant and not dumps with no redeeming features?

I like my carpet.

check out the sat night show tonight one of the biggest hipsters shall be appearing on it,,,bringing back the hipster cool looks as well well worth a gander i say boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Crane Lane, you'd can't move for horrible itchy thick jumpers! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

razorblunt wrote: »
    Crane Lane, you'd can't move for horrible itchy thick jumpers! ;-)

Jeez, I was in Crane lane on Saturday and it was wall to wall Christmas jumpers, stripy shirts, handbags and orange make up. Common as muck - not a hipster in sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Jeez, I was in Crane lane on Saturday and it was wall to wall Christmas jumpers, stripy shirts, handbags and orange make up. Common as muck - not a hipster in sight!

Oh really? It's almost been a year since I was last in there, sounds like the clientele has changed drastically then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

The term "hipster" being as ambiguous as ever I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Just what a typical hipster would say.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Ru sure they weren't wearing those Xmas jumpers ironically?

Ru sure they weren't wearing those Xmas jumpers ironically?

Nope! Crane Lane is pretty mainstream at the best of times but on a Saturday night in December it is as "Washington Street" as you'll get.
    Big groups of idiots in lit up jumpers - not a sniff of irony wafted past my up turned nose!

It's easy a hipster is anyone who you think thinks they are cooler than you.
    It must be said with a pejorative tone.

eg. "Look at that hipster [distain in voice], with his beard and skinny jeans, thinks he's too cool for a stripy shirt and ill fitting denims"

Cue: six stripy shirted oafs guffaw loudly, slug on their pints of lager, break into "Alice, Alice, who da fook is Alice!" and congratulate themselves for being just like each other and almost everyone around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

It's easy a hipster is anyone who you think thinks they are cooler than you.
    It must be said with a pejorative tone.

eg. "Look at that hipster [distain in voice], with his beard and skinny jeans, thinks he's too cool for a stripy shirt and ill fitting denims"

Cue: six stripy shirted oafs guffaw loudly, slug on their pints of lager, break into "Alice, Alice, who da fook is Alice!" and congratulate themselves for being just like each other and almost everyone around them.

whats this stripey shirt thing? am i missing something? I think i have one stripey shirt! do check shirts count. I have one of those too. I have boot cut jeans , baggy jeans and tight jeans also. not sure what category i fall into??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

blah..couldnt have my post count sitting on 666

• Advertisement

I have boot cut jeans , baggy jeans and tight jeans also. not sure what category i fall into??[/QUOTE]

when you try it you will know

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Methinks the Barrack St area is something of a hipster enclave.

Methinks the Barrack St area is something of a hipster enclave.

are you sure you're not one yourself, with your early Kraftwerk username? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Says you with the Broken Social Scene name :pac:

I have no comeback to that :P

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Kraftwerk would have nothing to do with hipsters,they were above all that.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Such a bitter thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Kraftwerk would have nothing to do with hipsters,they were above all that.:rolleyes:

Ralf Hütter would be enraged beyond words if he knew about them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Metacarpi

Defo a cluster of hipsters up around Shandon, and to a lesser extent Douglas St and Barrack St.

Crane lane has lost it's "cool" now but you'll surely still find hipsters in the Pav

Advertisement