Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible idea to cruise the Shannon in Winter?

Options
  • 06-12-2013 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey all,

I have some family visiting me from abroad this December and was thinking about a Shannon cruise. I've heard they're a great experience but I'm worried that December would be a terrible time to go. Has anyone any experience cruising at this time of year? Would a few days of rain and cold ruin a trip like that?

Any opinions and stories would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Don't do it. Short days, cold and damp, most of the smaller harbours will be like ghost towns and you will be the only boat tied up with people on it. That's if you can even hire a boat, the hire companies will probably have nobody on the road in a van to come to your (mechanical) aid if you have a breakdown so they may refuse to hire out a boat, that's if they even answer the phone.

I just checked Emerald Star and Silverline which are two of the biggest boat hire companies, neither of them is offering anything before March 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 talking muffin

coylemj wrote: »
    Don't do it. Short days, cold and damp, most of the smaller harbours will be like ghost towns and you will be the only boat tied up with people on it. That's if you can even hire a boat, the hire companies will probably have nobody on the road in a van to come to your (mechanical) aid if you have a breakdown so they may refuse to hire out a boat, that's if they even answer the phone.

I just checked Emerald Star and Silverline which are two of the biggest boat hire companies, neither of them is offering anything before March 2014.

Well I did find a company that hires in December and the empty towns are fine, we'll be out only for a few days and we'll make our own fun. But all those things put together... it does sound a bit drab and depressing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

AFAIK the lock gates remain closed In parts of Leitrim . and even if there not it would be bloody miserable on a boat in December.

I've seen many a sad tourist absolutely disgusted with a day or two of rain in the summer. Saying " its damp" ( that's what she said .. sorry) its cold , can't dry clothes. Etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

AFAIK the lock gates remain closed In parts of Leitrim . and even if there not it would be bloody miserable on a boat in December.

+1 Another reason to stay on terra firma in December - severely restricted lock opening times. Waterways Ireland says 09:00-12:30 Mon-Sat, 10:00-12:00 Sundays for all locks and the last opening of Portumna bridge is 12:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 talking muffin

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 Another reason to stay on terra firma in December - severely restricted lock opening times. Waterways Ireland says 09:00-12:30 Mon-Sat, 10:00-12:00 Sundays for all locks and the last opening of Portumna bridge is 12:00.

Wow! That's basically the death of that idea. 9-12.30 for passing through the locks... I won't lie, I'm disappointed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement