Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord damaged laptop - question

Options
  • 06-12-2013 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Well my landlord got me a new fridge, while he was taking of the box and stuff he spelled my cupe of coffee on my macbook pro was on table and cup was beside it!! Thanks god was only keyboard damaged so took ot to repair shop wich they quote me 180 euro for keyboard replacement, the question is my landlord responsable for this damage or no....

I know its an accident but he is a careless and bad landlord wich he never fixed a thing in the house...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ignoring the fact that coffee cups dont belong within 20 feet of laptops, surely common decency would dictate that if he broke it then he should offer to repair it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

theres nothing in regards to tenancy laws that make him have to pay for it. As Djimi said common decency would see him offer to do so.

That said you shouldn't have had a coffee cup anyway near your notebook so you have played a role in this. Id imagine both of you paying half each would be reasonable tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd go with D3PO on this one- you were both culpable by your actions. A 50-50 split of the cost would seem fair enough to me.

Ps- if they're charging you 180 quid for a new keyboard- you've got to be at the most expensive repair shop in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Ps- if they're charging you 180 quid for a new keyboard- you've got to be at the most expensive repair shop in the country.

I though the same until I saw what was involved in changing the keyboard.
    It's a five minute job on my Dell.
    It's 3-5 hours for the Air...

fleet wrote: »
    I though the same until I saw what was involved in changing the keyboard.
    It's a five minute job on my Dell.
    It's 3-5 hours for the Air...

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/58460/Broken+keyboard+on+the+new+MacBook+Air+13+due+to+water

I don't understand how/why they're allowed sell a wholly disposable laptop?

According to other sites- its the least repairable product available for sale.

Even minor damage is cited as damaging the product beyond economic repair.

Its like breaking the indicator light on your car- and being told its cheaper to buy a new car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

D3PO wrote: »
    theres nothing in regards to tenancy laws that make him have to pay for it. As Djimi said common decency would see him offer to do so.

That said you shouldn't have had a coffee cup anyway near your notebook so you have played a role in this. Id imagine both of you paying half each would be reasonable tbh.
    Agree. He was clumsy, you were both careless. You saw him opening the fridge right beside your laptop and coffee. You should have used common sense and moved your expensive belongings to somewhere safer.

Since moving to Germany several years ago I got to thinking about such things. I have a general liability insurance that covers me should I cause accidental damage to someone else or their property (it only costs like €30 a year). I've never used it but compare then to a guy I know here who was a passenger in a car and who opened the passenger door just as a cyclist was passing on the bike lane. He had to pay out of his own pocket for the door to be repaired and for the cyclist's clothes (could have been much worse, but still sot him a few hundred for his carelessness. He had no liability insurance) .

I often wonder what the story is in Ireland for such things. Hardly anyone has a general third party liability insurance so if you cause damage like in the OP's case you pretty much always have to pay out of your own pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

If amyone is going to be doing any kind of work its your responsibility to move anything out of the area thats breakable. The fact that you left the macbook itself in the area the landlord was working in is bad enough but you also put a cup of coffee beside it!! Sure while you were at it you should have added a water filled few crystal vases standing around on wonky pedestals, rested a few carving knives on the edge of tables and boiled some water and left the saucepan with the handles sticking out beside him.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

D3PO wrote: »
    That said you shouldn't have had a coffee cup anyway near your notebook
    djmi wrote:
    Ignoring the fact that coffee cups dont belong within 20 feet of laptops,
    I don't understand these comments, are you people seriously telling me that you have never enjoyed a beverage while using your laptop?
    If amyone is going to be doing any kind of work its your responsibility to move anything out of the area thats breakable.
    Surely it is just as much the landlord's responsibility to move fragile items out of the work area?

Legally it is the landlord's responsibility to fix this, the fact that it was an accident makes no difference. Just as it would be the tenant's responsibility to fix something that they accidentally broke.

I don't understand these comments, are you people seriously telling me that you have never enjoyed a beverage while using your laptop?

Liquid + laptop = disaster.

We all do it, but we cant complain when it goes wrong. Ultimately its stupid to leave cups that close to laptops.

djimi wrote: »
    Liquid + laptop = disaster.

We all do it, but we cant complain when it goes wrong. Ultimately its stupid to leave cups that close to laptops.

I'm embarrassed to admit it- but I'd guess over the past 15 years I've done something similar at least 3 times........

It happens. If it happens- unfortunately-while often it may not be you yourself who spills the drink- you are culpable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I had spill insurance with my last dell.

Its an expected accident.

Or get a Think Pad. We use them at work (choice between Think Pad and MacBook something or other). My colleague spilled water on his keyboard a few weeks back and this happened (feel free to kill the music on that one!).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Op, you placed the coffee next to.the laptop. You're liable because you should know that you're being negligent in doing so.

As for the poster pointing out about drinking coffee when working on a computer, there's a difference between coffee spilling on a laptop compared to a 10 Euro replaceable usb pc keyboard

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭140490

Thanks guys for this quick replys :)

Well i like having my cup of coffee in d morning and using my laptop as we all do.

Im quite a shy person so i don't ask someone to pay for something that happened in an accident specialy my friend but my landlord is ******

So i asked him to pay for repair cost wich he won't, so i may take that money from his next rent collection! And about repair cost that was the cheapest quote that i got, most of shops quoting me from 200 to 250e for keyboard replacement and cleanup inside.

thanks again guys

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

140490 wrote: »

Well i like having my cup of coffee in d morning and using my laptop as we all do.

Im quite a shy person so i don't ask someone to pay for something that happened in an accident specialy my friend but my landlord is ******

So i asked him to pay for repair cost wich he won't, so i may take that money from his next rent collection! And about repair cost that was the cheapest quote that i got, most of shops quoting me from 200 to 250e for keyboard replacement and cleanup inside.

thanks again guys

You can't take the money from the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

So i asked him to pay for repair cost wich he won't, so i may take that money from his next rent collection!

You do that and you'll be in breach of your lease

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭lucky333

It's your own fault for being careless with a coffee that close to a laptop.. You also cannot take the money from the rent, I'm sure you are not allowed to with-hold rent to pay for your laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Op, you placed the coffee next to.the laptop. You're liable because you should know that you're being negligent in doing so.
    There is nothing negligent about having a cup of liquid near a laptop, as long as you take reasonable care not to spill it. The landlord did not take this reasonable care -- it's plain common sense to move breakables out of the area when you are doing work, therefore the landlord is liable.

Legally you are not allowed deduct money from your rent to pay for this, you are supposed to open a dispute with the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The landlord is an asshole and 100% responsible here. You're not supposed to withold rent, but i probably would too. But good luck getting your deposit back!
    No idea how people think the op is somehow partly responsible. Whoever is doing the work should make sure his work area is clear. And whoever spills the tea is responsible for spilling the tea

If the landlord was slow to fix things before expect him to never cone round again after this incident. It's not the landlord's place to be moving his tenants personal belongings. That's the tenant's responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm embarrassed to admit it- but I'd guess over the past 15 years I've done something similar at least 3 times........

It happens. If it happens- unfortunately-while often it may not be you yourself who spills the drink- you are culpable.

Same here. Learnt a fair bit fixing my laptops as a result. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/58460/Broken+keyboard+on+the+new+MacBook+Air+13+due+to+water

I don't understand how/why they're allowed sell a wholly disposable laptop?

According to other sites- its the least repairable product available for sale.

Even minor damage is cited as damaging the product beyond economic repair.

Its like breaking the indicator light on your car- and being told its cheaper to buy a new car.

While its a result of them cramping things into a tiny unibody shell you'd thing they could design it so it could be taken apart for repair. It just poor design.

There is nothing negligent about having a cup of liquid near a laptop, as long as you take reasonable care not to spill it. The landlord did not take this reasonable care -- it's plain common sense to move breakables out of the area when you are doing work, therefore the landlord is liable.

Likewise the OP also did not take reasonable care.

Im with you, I think the landlord should pay (out of common decency rather than some legal obligation), but the OP ultimately broke the golden rule of not allowing liquids near a laptop, and really needs to learn a lesson from this also. You can take as much care as you like, as anyone who works around computers or on a desk will tell you its inevitable that eventually you will brush your arm off your coffee mug and spill it all over your desk...

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Mikros

Eh, how are people saying the OP is responsible for the landlord knocking over the coffee? Unless the coffee and laptop were put right beside the landlord when he was not looking or something I fail to see how the landlord is not responsible. Sure it was an accident but he still knocked it over at the end of the day.

I drink coffee all the time when working on my laptop, I didn't think it would be that unusual. Now if a fridge was being moved (not the easiest thing) I wouldn't have a laptop or a cup of coffee anywhere near the work, but again assuming the OP didn't drop it up in the middle, the person doing the work should have taken a bit of care to make sure the area was clear.

You can't take it out of the rent though. You *could* make a civil claim in the small claims court (they handle minor damage to property cases) but I would rather try and come to some arrangement (split the costs, take a bit out of the rent) by consent with the landlord.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

thanks again guys

totally illegal move....do that.....and expect to get notice to leave the house. .....

Mikros wrote: »
    I drink coffee all the time when working on my laptop, I didn't think it would be that unusual.

Its not unusual at all. But if it goes pear shaped then you only have one person to blame really, no matter what the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Mikros

djimi wrote: »
    Its not unusual at all. But if it goes pear shaped then you only have one person to blame really, no matter what the circumstances.

Well yeah - the person who knocked it over would be to blame. After that it is how much I contributed to it - and that all depends on the circumstances. Could be anything from totally to blame, or not at all.

Of course I'm 99% it will be me spilling something on my own computer which makes it a bit easier to figure out who to blame...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

while he was taking of the box and stuff he spelled my cupe of coffee on my macbook pro was on table and cup was beside it!!
    Why did you have the cup of coffee next to your laptop whilst you knew work would be happening next to it?
    So i asked him to pay for repair cost wich he won't, so i may take that money from his next rent collection!
    Expect to be given a notice to pay the rest of the rent, or to face eviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I'm shocked at the amount of people who say they never drink coffee while using their laptops - I thought everyone did that?

In fairness, the OP should have cleared the area of anything sensitive or liquid if a fridge was being installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Would you be able to replace the keyboards yourself?

Advertisement