Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend trip to Luxenbourg City

• 06-12-2013 2:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

I'm heading to Luxembourg City (via Hahn) for 2 nights in February. I haven't been there before but always wanted to tick it off the bucket list so out of impulse decided book once I saw a band I like schedule a weekend gig.

I'm aware its pretty small so just wondering has anyone any stand out recommendations on things to do/see or eats/drink during the day? My current plan is just to walk about the city and see the sites, maybe hire a bike, very much a chilled out couple of days.

Also has anyone used the Flibco bus company before? They are extremely cheap from Hahn airport considering the distance so just wondering are they reliable?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I haven't been in over 13 years, but worked there one summer.

Visit the catacombs.
    http://www.euroout.com/top-10-places-to-visit-in-luxembourg-country-and-city.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

yes Flibco are very reliable. we did that route from hahn a few years ago with them, really scenic journey too from trier to luxembourg like something out of a fairytale.

the city is small enough that you can easily see everything in a day or two. as far as food we visited a good tex-mex place which had live music but forgot the name. it will be cold in february so keep that in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Anyone know if you can stop in Trier on the way to or from Luxembourg on the Hahn bus? I've heard it is worth visiting plus it can break up what is a fairly long bus ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

The city itself is small and very walkable so you'll be able to see plenty in the two days, I would recommend going to the Bock casements, there is a walking path up to it with lovely views. There was a coffee shop called Oberweiss which had divine cakes, worth a trip if you have a sweet tooth! Can't remember the other restaurants we went to but we had some lovely meals and gorgeous local wine! Enjoy your trip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I don't know about the bus from Hahn, but Trier is definitely worth a visit. I lived there for a year and loved it. You could get the bus there and then a train to Luxembourg maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭lc180

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The bus leaves you at the gare, which is probably the roughest part of the city,
    I wouldn't stay in any accommodation there.

There's two main squares across the grund in the city centre with cafés and it's near the dukes palace.

The grund is a big gorge splitting the city, you can walk down or take an elevator, it's about 400 feet down

There's king Wenceslas (from the carol) palace down there and a new nightlife area. There's an Irish bar Pygmalion and Escosse and a local bar cafe des Artistes near the bottom of the elevator

Most food is decent, a bit hearty fare

Sundays are dead there, like Good Fridays here back in the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

There's king Wenceslas (from the carol) palace down there and a new nightlife area

Thought he was from Bohemia? Or Czech Republic as it's now known?

Advertisement