Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University Advice

Options
  • 06-12-2013 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hey guys

So I am on the 417 working holiday visa, my year is up in February. I have just ben granted my second year, my question is in terms if anyone has gone to uni here. I know I would need to get a student visa but with the price of uni here for international students is crazy. I was wondering if anyone here had info on other ways around it, can we get grants, scholarships etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

You can get grants for some post grad stuff but would be very difficult to get for undergrad. Which are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Student visa will have your uni cost, And a working restriction limiting you to 20 hours per week.

If you can get as far as a Permanent Residence visa (however you manage it) then you can attend Uni and are elligible for HEX/HELP/Commonwealth Assistance.

On a WHV....nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

HECS help etc is only available for citizens. As a PR you will only have to pay the same as citizens but must be paid before starting each year. It could be as much as 9k a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

If your main motivation is staying just google "Tafe Fee's" to give you a rough idea of how much it will cost.
    Yes it is expensive but they make their money out of folk who want to stay who have no other way of doing so.

I was on a 457 last year and although I didn't need the Visa you are still charged to the hilt. On top of the fees it worked out and an extra $11 per hour to attend lectures. This is not very transparent and is usually only highlighted towards the end.

Advertisement