Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Andrew33 wrote: »
    I think they cannot leave you as a spare for longer than two years now.

I think you are confusing casual employment which is a different thing, after 1 year with DB you will be appointed to the permanent staff and can join the pension etc, the spare category is different thing it just means that you will not have a fixed rota on a particular route instead you will work whatever work is available on any route in a the depot you are assigned to, you will follow a rota in that you will know your days off and the general type of duty you will do but you won't know exactly what you are working tomorrow till 1pm today.
    At the moment drivers take about 10 years in that spare category before they get "marked in" on a specific route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

cdebru wrote: »
    I think you are confusing casual employment which is a different thing, after 1 year with DB you will be appointed to the permanent staff and can join the pension etc, the spare category is different thing it just means that you will not have a fixed rota on a particular route instead you will work whatever work is available on any route in a the depot you are assigned to, you will follow a rota in that you will know your days off and the general type of duty you will do but you won't know exactly what you are working tomorrow till 1pm today.
    At the moment drivers take about 10 years in that spare category before they get "marked in" on a specific route.

AFAIK they cannot leave you as a spare driver for longer than two years as a result of a deal hammered out between DB and unions for changes implemented on recent years.
    You go onto a proper rotating shift of days/nights. I was also led to believe this was the case at interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dubpeter

Can the medical be appealed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

AFAIK they cannot leave you as a spare driver for longer than two years as a result of a deal hammered out between DB and unions for changes implemented on recent years.
    You go onto a proper rotating shift of days/nights. I was also led to believe this was the case at interview.

There are different rotating shifts for spare drivers but they are all still spare, they may have meant the 4 day week they won't keep you on for more than 2 years, but currently drivers are spare for at least 10 years

cdebru wrote: »
    There are different rotating shifts for spare drivers but they are all still spare, they may have meant the 4 day week they won't keep you on for more than 2 years, but currently drivers are spare for at least 10 years

I'll bow to your superior knowledge :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Sisco14

Im just finished with the mentor, he has been "spare" for 10 years now, and says it could be another 3 years before he is marked in on a fixed rota. Being spare doesnt really bother me though, (for now anyway) dont tink id like being stuck on the 1 route the all the time. As long as im made permanent i wont care!!!!

Sisco14 wrote: »
    Im just finished with the mentor, he has been "spare" for 10 years now, and says it could be another 3 years before he is marked in on a fixed rota. Being spare doesnt really bother me though, (for now anyway) dont tink id like being stuck on the 1 route the all the time. As long as im made permanent i wont care!!!!

I'd agree. Being spare and driving different routes wouldn't bother me but I'd like to know I'd be on a rolling Rota after a given length of time. ie: week of days, week of nights.

Is the night-link part of your rota?
    I always assumed it was voluntary overtime.

Haven't been asked todo nitelink, I never asked my mentor but think it's voluntary, (could be wrong on that one) , while your on the 4 day roster it's either Thurs, fri, sat, sun, or fri, sat, sun, mon, (which I'm on) 4 a max of 2 years but other guys were telling me they were offered a 5 day roster after bout 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bena100

Where you given a depot or do you move around? How do you plan to get home on lates? Someone was telling me about a Ghost bus that collects drivers or do you need a car???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bena100 wrote: »
    Where you given a depot or do you move around? How do you plan to get home on lates? Someone was telling me about a Ghost bus that collects drivers or do you need a car???

You will be assigned a depot.

You will then be on late duties.

Need a car that's up to you and where you live.

There are buses that leave to drop drivers home but on specific routes.
    It may not go to where you live.

A car would be needed for early duties as you would have no bus to get you in unless the early ghost would get you in on time.

BTW- Late duties doesn't always mean you will be on the last shift, i.e. one of the last buses to get back to the depot at bout 12:30am, I've only finished that late once, (only started so may change), other shifts I finished at around 9.30pm, or last night I finished at 7.30pm.

I found doing the very late shift during the week was very good in the sense that I was much more relaxed, because it was quite I was getting to know the route inside out including learning stages and learning more about taking fares and dealing with leap cards, but its like anything else it takes time to adjust!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 blackduck38

Hi all. Can some one tell me more detail please about the tow week period? Please. What we do in that time? Learning teory or practical

driving? It is a driving exam at the end of 2 weeks or teoretical exam? If you need to catch up an annual training for CPC, will let you to do

there or I need to be up to date, and they will make only the Bus Driver CPC course?

Did someone else see that are other money on the contract?

Thanks and good luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Hi all. Can some one tell me more detail please about the tow week period? Please. What we do in that time? Learning teory or practical

driving? It is a driving exam at the end of 2 weeks or teoretical exam? If you need to catch up an annual training for CPC, will let you to do

there or I need to be up to date, and they will make only the Bus Driver CPC course?

Did someone else see that are other money on the contract?

Thanks and good luck to all.
    Mix of classroom work - usually scenario based. Disability awareness, customer service, ticket machines etc.

And a mix of driving - you spend more time driving then in the classroom thankfully. They will bring you on some usual pinch points for buses, show you the low bridges in areas (esp for Ringsend drivers!), and type train you on all the different buses in the fleet.

No driving exams - they will continually monitor your progress throughout the two weeks.

As for catching up on CPC, inform them when you're in the training school, they might tell you to come back up at a later date. You can book to go on CPC with the depot inspector when you're in the garage.

macroman wrote: »
    Mix of classroom work - usually scenario based. Disability awareness, customer service, ticket machines etc.

And a mix of driving - you spend more time driving then in the classroom thankfully. They will bring you on some usual pinch points for buses, show you the low bridges in areas (esp for Ringsend drivers!), and type train you on all the different buses in the fleet.

No driving exams - they will continually monitor your progress throughout the two weeks.

As for catching up on CPC, inform them when you're in the training school, they might tell you to come back up at a later date. You can book to go on CPC with the depot inspector when you're in the garage.

Thanks. I will go to catching up the CPC before and be up to date on the first day of training.

Have a good day.

Thanks. I will go to catching up the CPC before and be up to date on the first day of training.

Have a good day.
    When do you start your training?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-bus-female-drivers-2021163-Apr2015/

I read this a few weeks back. Anyone know anything about this?

From the last paragraph;
    "Dublin Bus’s upcoming female-targeted campaign will include a depot open day for women where experienced drivers like Ingrid Doyle will be there to talk about their careers and opportunities for women."

Sounds like they're looking at taking on trainees again (albeit female targeted)?

When do you start your training?

18 May

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

Contrails wrote: »

Sounds like they're looking at taking on trainees again (albeit female targeted)?

The views Seems to be that if there are no female candidates applying then there may be a problem with how DB is viewed as a workplace for female employees.

There is definitely a neanderthal/school yard attitude by an element within the company and any lady considering it would need a thick skin. That's before dealing with passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭burgermasters

Maybe a stupid question but does anybody know how long it takes to be contacted after doing the 1st assessment?? I only did my one today! Over 100 people there and was shocked when some even left mid exam without finishing just up and left?? Crazy I think?

Anyway thanks in advance for your answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

You can expect a bit of a delay now as the recruitment process will be on hold while the strikes are on.

Anyone else done the aptitude test today?? 25th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fazzio

I think my Assesment was 04 febuary, the letter about being short listed for a next step arrived 17th of febuary.

I did all following steps over march and april and got offered a position, starting at 18th of May.

I applyed for the job after christmas - so there u go - 4 months recrutation.

Thanks for the replies, wanted to do this for years never got around to it and now I'm so close!! Fingers crossed it will work out and go well for me? Best of luck to everyone else that's going for it also, and well done to those who got it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It's worth noting that Bus Eireann is also seeking new driving staff.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360855184-Driving-application.pdf

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It's worth noting that Bus Eireann is also seeking new driving staff.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360855184-Driving-application.pdf

Bus eireann are only hiring apprentice mechanics according to their site.

There are no other vacancies available to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Seen a notice in the depot looking for drivers to transfer from DB to BE for Broadstone based late duties.

macroman wrote: »
    Seen a notice in the depot looking for drivers to transfer from DB to BE for Broadstone based late duties.

I know about that alright as i seen it myself but i would Not post it up here for the public to apply only to be told no their not hiring etc.

Just gets messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Bus Eireann are indeed inviting applications for the following.

Driving Vacancies.
    Clerical Vacancies.

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=313

The current Apprentice Recruitment programme had an extension until today (26th April) and is now closed.

However the company continues to request CV's,so it should be quite safe to take them upon their invitation.
    Submit CV
    If you are interested in a career with Bus Éireann please e-mail us your CV to recruitment@buseireann.ie.

Won't even cost the price of a stamp :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Bus Eireann are indeed inviting applications for the following.

Driving Vacancies.
    Clerical Vacancies.

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=313

The current Apprentice Recruitment programme had an extension until today (26th April) and is now closed.

However the company continues to request CV's,so it should be quite safe to take them upon their invitation.

Won't even cost the price of a stamp :)

They are not actively looking for drivers as to what this thread is about.

I just wouldn't give people hope like that just to never hear back

Advertisement