Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fazzio

I send my application to BE and they did't come back to me. But my collegue (roughly same experience/ age) send his month before and got in . He go the job in febuary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Fazzio wrote: »
    I send my application to BE and they did't come back to me. But my collegue (roughly same experience/ age) send his month before and got in . He go the job in febuary.

Good for him.

Have you any feedback on how he's getting on ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fazzio

Yes he says its best decision he ever made, we where with one company for many years, he was well established there with old pre-recession contract and money and still happy he changed. Other colegue went with Dublin Bus last september and same thing happy and don't look back.

I have had 3 offers since decided to change the job. Have to say there is alot of jobs going on right now. And thay range from easy ones (if you have few years to retire or you are sorted (morgage kids) driving 15 seater on set short route and easy roster to a serious like DB or Aircoach.

You still have to be aware of the usual, part time contracts etc where you are promised full time and overtimes and because its busy and come november you get the roster with 2 days per week and noting you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Sisco14

Unfortunately strike going ahead, thought with talks in the afternoon it looked positive, not really sure what the plan is as I haven't heard much from union!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Drivers show up for duties as normal but to picket the gate.

Private security in garages tonight to lock gates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭burgermasters

Just got invited to dublin bus this wed for driving assessment and interview, anyone got any tips or advice for me? Would be extremely grateful.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

Well for the assessment just take it nice and steady. Safety is the key focus.

As for the interview I can't offer much advice but the new lads coming in are being told the first thing they should be concerned with is safety. Then customer services.

Good luck anyway

Just got invited to dublin bus this wed for driving assessment and interview, anyone got any tips or advice for me? Would be extremely grateful.

Thanks.

Drive like your doing your driving test keep good progress and react to hazards such as other vehicles going to pull out or pedestrians and slow down coming up to vehicles you can not see behind them.

Slow when you see kids and use your mirrors a lot.

As said above safety is most important stay calm and try and relax as much as you can without falling asleep:p

At lights don't race off or be first to move let the other tarffic race of and smooth acceleration and smooth braking as much as possible.

They want to se you react before the actuall event happens and you ndon't have a heavy right foot that you pin the passengers to the floor while taking off.

Interview is ok but read up on the company a bit and also the bye-laws as it will help to know.
    You may be asked how would you deal with aggresive passengers or an accident or passenger injury and so on.

Safety again is number 1 so best of luck to you.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Ok I know this sounds stupid but could someone confirm this for me please? I was just told by a dublin bus employee that the driving assessment is done in a car?? May be a wined up but I'm not too sure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Ok I know this sounds stupid but could someone confirm this for me please? I was just told by a dublin bus employee that the driving assessment is done in a car?? May be a wined up but I'm not too sure?

It's either a wind-up or simple ignorance.

Driving Assessments are carried out in a bus.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It's either a wind-up or simple ignorance.

Driving Assessments are carried out in a bus.

That's what I thought alright, I know it was a stupid question, thanks for the reply.

That's what I thought alright, I know it was a stupid question, thanks for the reply.

The 1st test use to be in a van.

That may still happen at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

The 1st test use to be in a van.

That may still happen at times.

That was when they took on people with only B or C licenses that they were going to train up for the D test. Many of them wouldn't even have had provisional D licenses so they couldn't be taken in anything bigger. It was mainly to weed out the people with poor driving skills before going through the application process, no point trying to train someone to drive a bus if they cannot competently drive a car or van.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dubpeter

Hey lads. Does any one know if the medical can be appealed. I didnt fall down on any of the issues on the day, weight hearing or any of the other tests. It was when they looked into my history, which i might add is history...

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

dubpeter wrote: »
    Hey lads. Does any one know if the medical can be appealed. I didnt fall down on any of the issues on the day, weight hearing or any of the other tests. It was when they looked into my history, which i might add is history...

I wouldn't say so. If they've gone thru the medical and not passed you that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Stonemad2012

I passed my medical on 1st of April and have not heard any thing back, my Garda vetting and references should be fine, does it normally take this long ?

I passed my medical on 1st of April and have not heard any thing back, my Garda vetting and references should be fine, does it normally take this long ?

Its a very slow process.
    So yes you can be waiting.

It wouldn't surprise me if the industrial action at the moment is slowing things up, but it is still painfully slow, hang in there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Rolandinho

Hi lads !

could anyone here tell me if there is a chance to get the job with 2-3 penalty points or if someone actually got the job with some penalty points? thanks a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Rolandinho

One part has me worried. Penalty points

One of the things said any endorsements or penalty points must be declared - but they will not automatically disqualify you from the process.

Having 6 isint great. All due to be gone at the end of this year or beginning middle next year. I dont remember the dates of them being applied.

Will find out though

In saying that i can see why dublin bus are still looking for drivers with the amount of applicants they get.

Some.look like they need to retire next week, some can bearly speak english. Some cannot follow simple instructions and some came dressed in their best tracksuits and nike runners. It really was like doing a junior certificate with the way some behaved

I mustve being the only person wearing a tie.

But anyway we'll go on with it and see what happens !

They said we'll find out if we move to the next step or not in the next 2 weeks.

Hi there !

I was wondering ,did youm get the job with those 6 penalty points? Because i have 3 for speeding on M8. Would that disqualify me from getting the job ?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

Applied about a 3/4 weeks ago have written accesment Sat 6th June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Applied about a 3/4 weeks ago have written accesment Sat 6th June.
    Best of luck.
    Just finished training. Out to depot on Tuesday.

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Best of luck.
    Just finished training. Out to depot on Tuesday.
    Which depot r u going?

Sisco14 wrote: »
    Which depot r u going?
    D'brook

D'brook

1 or 2? I'm in d1, big garage but wouldn't move!!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭frankyboy1986

Anyone know what way appointment works? I started in Training centre middle of may 2014 went to depot start of june 2014. is it true that I may have to wait til end of June/ early july to be appointed a full 6 weeks atleast after my year is up?

Sisco14 wrote: »
    1 or 2? I'm in d1, big garage but wouldn't move!!
    D1. Looking forward to it.

Anyone know what way appointment works? I started in Training centre middle of may 2014 went to depot start of june 2014. is it true that I may have to wait til end of June/ early july to be appointed a full 6 weeks atleast after my year is up?
    As far as I know. You're appointed after you've been there 12 months and the 12 months started the day you started training. Get on to your depot manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

As far as I know. You're appointed after you've been there 12 months and the 12 months started the day you started training. Get on to your depot manager.

The 12 months is from the day you start in the depot.

Advertisement