Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Sisco14

Airport school is far more expensive, and they convince you need more lessons, I went with "swilly group" found them very good although I heard Ism are also very good, I got 6 hours driving total before the test, and passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lucky79

That's 5 lessons. It may take more if ye have never drove a bus before

10 hours of lessons +cpc course €980, €120 is the final exam with RSA, and there is €30 for something else don't remember what was it, but complete cost is€1130. i was just talking to ISM.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 bumpynut

lucky79 wrote: »
    10 hours of lessons +cpc course €980, €120 is the final exam with RSA, and there is €30 for something else don't remember what was it, but complete cost is€1130. i was just talking to ISM.

Anyone starting out ism sounds like a good option. I done 10/12 hours then was advised to do mock test which was 300 .. the another 4hrs .then two hrs the morning of test ..then another 300 for use of coach for test then 150 for Rsa test & CPC ...but sure it was all new to me ..you could say I knew no better ..TBH my take on it at the time was I'd of given whatever it to to get licence ...looks now like there was cheaper options ...whoever thinking of going for it do so ..it will only stand to yous

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Vtwin duke

Do the driving schools use automatic or manual bus for lessons?

Vtwin duke wrote: »
    Do the driving schools use automatic or manual bus for lessons?

Manual ...which gives you full licence for both

• Advertisement

Yea , thats the way to go.
    Keep your options open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Lots of money.... I think I will wait..

. Still on the fence with this job.
    As a professional driver on 30k a year and walking distance from work, I wonder if a potential 40k a year job is worth the Bull sh1t with rosters, child minding and commute into wherever in the city. Not to mention where you will be sent.

Adding another 1.5k + into training to benefit Dublin bus with still a long interview and testing period ahead with no guarantees is not what I was hoping.

Lots of money.... I think I will wait..

. Still on the fence with this job.
    As a professional driver on 30k a year and walking distance from work, I wonder if a potential 40k a year job is worth the Bull sh1t with rosters, child minding and commute into wherever in the city. Not to mention where you will be sent.

Adding another 1.5k + into training to benefit Dublin bus with still a long interview and testing period ahead with no guarantees is not what I was hoping.

Only you will know if its the right move for you.
    Would imagine tho with your driving experience you would only need half the amount of lessons the rest of us need.
    You have gone to the trouble with theory/ cpc ,be no harm to add the D to your licence imo.
    Good luck on whatever you decide...

Thanks for that post.

I have been considering it. Im just not sure about dealing with those long time contract bus drivers. Newbies are going to get shafted by their dinosaur union policies for at least 10 years....

Its really offputting. Kind of feels like you are being fed to lions..

On the upside, I have an excuse to buy another motorcycle for commuting. Maybe a big GS...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭btmp75

Thanks to God. Got the job offer from Dublin bus. It was quicker than I expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Starlight35

btmp75 wrote: »
    Thanks to God. Got the job offer from Dublin bus. It was quicker than I expected.

Great! Congratulations, good luck with your training.

Congrats .all worth the wait so well done ..got date for driving assement & interview myself today ..end of month .pls God I'll be joining you in month or two ..

bumpynut wrote: »
    Congrats .all worth the wait so well done ..got date for driving assement & interview myself today ..end of month .pls God I'll be joining you in month or two ..

Thanks a mil. Best wishes fo your test and interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Well done. I hope you enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kazio

after 9 months got driving assesment for 29 june

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dawid niedzwiadek

Congrats.
    Can you tell me how long it took from submitting job application to job offer?

Cheers

Congrats.
    Can you tell me how long it took from submitting job application to job offer?

Cheers

I submitted my application on 2nd / 3rd of February. Written assessment was on April 1. Driving assessment and interview on May 6th. Medical on May 27th. Job offer on 7th June.

I Started my current job on mid-March . So the Garda vetting from there was on processing. I think that might be helped to the garda vetting process here. Other thing is I have D license, CPC and Tacho. Those too might be helped. Anyway I expected any job offer that may come from here will be around End of August. So Its a pleasant surprise. Looking forward to join the team on 20th.
    :):)

I have to say the conversations here helped me a lot to get an idea about what to expect from the start written assessment till job offer. From about working schedules to pay. So I think i have an idea about what is going to happen next.
    Still requesting more information about training sessions and schedules, routes and times...etc. few of our friends here are newbies in Dublin bus. Still on training . They may help.

I believe in GOD and without his help, I couldn't be this far. So I thank him above all. Then the instructors from Airport Driving School. They are Expensive. But they are experts and they know your performance. My thanks to Amin and Sean.

liger wrote: »
    Well done. I hope you enjoy it.

Thank you very much. I think you are working there. Right?

kazio wrote: »
    after 9 months got driving assesment for 29 june

Best wishes for your test and interview.

• Advertisement

Wolf219 wrote: »
    Only if you are based in Donnybrook and if you going to be on that route the single decker uses.

Hi How is your training going on? Have you got any chance to select which depot you want to operate from? Are you still on training or on 4 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Wolf219

All going well so far thanks, they will try and accommodate you the best they can as were u live to the nearest depot. I am only on the 4 day 2 weeks now and they have offered me a 5 day which I hope to start next week.

All going well so far thanks, they will try and accommodate you the best they can as were u live to the nearest depot. I am only on the 4 day 2 weeks now and they have offered me a 5 day which I hope to start next week.

just want to say congratulation to all of you getting the job and good luck. i'm on the waiting list and jusy cannot wait to get the driving assesment letter. i have only learner D licence, that is why it will take ages. i think i will do the full licence on my own to speed the process up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Starlight35

lucky79 wrote: »
    just want to say congratulation to all of you getting the job and good luck. i'm on the waiting list and jusy cannot wait to get the driving assesment letter. i have only learner D licence, that is why it will take ages. i think i will do the full licence on my own to speed the process up.

I was going to try and get my full D licence too. But I changed my mind after learning that you have to do your Dublin Bus driving assessment in a bus.

If I passed my D test, say, over the next six weeks, there may be a waiting period before I actually get to do my Dublin Bus driving assessment meaning that I wouldn't have any practice between.

I was going to try and get my full D licence too. But I changed my mind after learning that you have to do your Dublin Bus driving assessment in a bus.

If I passed my D test, say, over the next six weeks, there may be a waiting period before I actually get to do my Dublin Bus driving assessment meaning that I wouldn't have any practice between.[/
    quote]

ok, that is a good point thanks for that.

If I passed my D test, say, over the next six weeks, there may be a waiting period before I actually get to do my Dublin Bus driving assessment meaning that I wouldn't have any practice between.

I have a friend who got the D with airport costing over 2k, and he failed the Dublin bus assesment. He is quite annoyed to say the least.

He had to wait quite a while between passing the test and the assessment. With zero practice in between.
    According to him, this is the reason he failed to get the job.

Although you could get a 2 hour lesson before the assessment.

This all saves Dublin Bus the money time and effort of getting you the D. And they could say No after all your efforts. Seem like a raw deal getting it when they are willing to train you.

I expect half the people who took the written exam to have moved on from the idea of being a bus driver while waiting for the next phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Thank you very much. I think you are working there. Right?

Yup, over a decade under the belt now.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

I noticed up in the training school on Wednesday,
    They Had 2 New Toyota auris(dual control) for the driving assesments

mondeoman2 wrote: »
    I noticed up in the training school on Wednesday,
    They Had 2 New Toyota auris(dual control) for the driving assesments

Thats a bit odd..

Would it not be better it send folk out in a Sprinter or anything upto 3.5 tonne..

• Advertisement

What is the training like? What do they show / teach / train you?

Advertisement