Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

In relation to the D license with dublin..

Its for an Automatic gearbox.

Is it the norm to have automatic boxes throughout the country on coaches?

Would one be that much better off doing a manual gearbox test?

Manuals were the cheaper option and were preferred by most small private hire companies, they have now been replaced by automated manual transmissions, a fully manual coach is now near impossible to buy. AMT is considered Auto for licencing purposes as clutch is automatic.

As Jenod said newer coaches will all be auto of some type but there are some older manuals still around.

Whether you would want to be stuck driving one is a better question, I worked in a place with a mix, older knackered manuals and newer autos. As some of the drivers only had auto licences they got the newer better coaches and I along with a few other more qualified guys were expected to drive the junk day in day out for the same pay, no surprise I didn't stay there, not putting up with that nonsense.

Smaller stuff, particularly anything based on van chassis will still be mostly manual so for that sort of work there would be a need for a manual D1/D licence. Depends really what your plans are, to switch from auto to manual you have to go through the licence-test procedure again so time+money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kazio

Jenod1111 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that when did u have the interview

at 29 june

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

kazio wrote: »
    at 29 june

May I ask what questions and scenarios you had in the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kazio

May I ask what questions and scenarios you had in the interview.

that was fews general question eg do u will listen your depo manager

• Registered Users Posts: 11 superman400

bumpynut wrote: »
    Medical next week ..happy days

how long were you waiting from interview to medical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 bumpynut

how long were you waiting from interview to medical?

Interview 1st July medical on 12th .they rang within couple of days .

Interview 1st July medical on 12th .they rang within couple of days .

That quick.....

Do you know how long you have to wait for the results of your medical or did they tell you on the day ?

That quick.....

Do you know how long you have to wait for the results of your medical or did they tell you on the day ?

Your told there and then ...I'd to go off and get glasses,my eyes failed .but to be fair doctor.allowed me to go off get the tested .get glasses and return next morning ..and she passed me

Your told there and then ...I'd to go off and get glasses,my eyes failed .but to be fair doctor.allowed me to go off get the tested .get glasses and return next morning ..and she passed me

Happy days.....

Was the interview difficult?

ive mine in September and I'm just wondering what type of questions they asked.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Happy days.....

Was the interview difficult?

ive mine in September and I'm just wondering what type of questions they asked.

Any help is greatly appreciated
    It's all safety ...it's also like a personality test
    .they want to see how you'd interact with people ..how you'd deal with diffrrent situations ....just think 100% safety .and treat people as you'd like to be treated ..dress neatly ..best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 girlo1111

Hey have you got D licence or are you going in with a B licence congrats on the medical I've mine next week

Hey have you got D licence or are you going in with a B licence congrats on the medical I've mine next week

Full D .I started process with provisional D .and ended up getting it myself .to speed things along

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Anyone any idea when they will be hiring again?

TallGlass wrote: »
    Anyone any idea when they will be hiring again?

I've heard a year and half but also heard finding it very hard to get drivers. Also heard that ban on recruitment is just on until the drivers settle there pay rise then they will lift it

Full D .I started process with provisional D .and ended up getting it myself .to speed things along

Awh well done that great I'm only going in with the provisional but I'm going in with full cpc as I hold and drive a D1

Awh well done that great I'm only going in with the provisional but I'm going in with full cpc as I hold and drive a D1

I wish you the very best of luck ..they seem to have move the process onto the provisional licence holder stage ..staff are really friendly & helpful in the training centre.. you'll be fine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 up13

Do any of the potential DB drivers posting here know just how miserable life as a spare driver is?
    You are looking at 11/12 years at the moment and rising every year until you get marked in.
    You will find out today by text at 11am what duty you are working tomorrow.
    Good luck trying to have a life with that carry on.

+- 1 hour
    Early duty 6am-3mp
    Relief Duty 12-9pm
    Late duty 3pm-00
    Bogey duty 7am-11 break 3-7pm
    Early duty can start anytime after 4am, but don't have to finish until 9pm. i.e. 4am-12. 11am-9pm
    Relief can start at 9am might not finish until 7pm
    Late can start a 2pm might not finish until 1230.
    There is no rhyme or reason to which duties are early, relief or bogey.
    Prepared to be messed around for 12+ years.

There is no reason for any company to be run like that????

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

up13 wrote: »
    Do any of the potential DB drivers posting here know just how miserable life as a spare driver is?
    You are looking at 11/12 years at the moment and rising every year until you get marked in.

+- 1 hour
    Early duty 6am-3mp
    Relief Duty 12-9pm
    Late duty 3pm-00
    Early duty can start anytime after 4am, but don't have to finish until 9pm. i.e. 4am-12. 11am-9pm

Ah stop.

You didn't mention the tI'm es when you start at 4.30 and finish at 8am. Or start at 6am and finish at 11 am getting paid a full day wage without having to do any work.

There is good and bad. As with every job.

liger wrote: »
    Ah stop.

You didn't mention the tI'm es when you start at 4.30 and finish at 8am. Or start at 6am and finish at 11 am getting paid a full day wage without having to do any work.

Starting next week .and coming from being self employed and not knowing where I am from one week to next or if I'm getting a wage . worried about rent / rates ./ Revenue/ management fees / ESB / insurance ..etc ...I think I'll just about manage in DB ..can't wait to start .I've friends & family in DB .and I've heard mostly positive things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Vtwin duke

I know how you feel being self employed, it will be nice to know you have regular income coming in . Best of luck to you..

Vtwin duke wrote: »
    I know how you feel being self employed, it will be nice to know you have regular income coming in . Best of luck to you..

Thanks . It's not all its cracked up to be working for yourself .people assume your making a fortune ...it will be nice to know there's a wage in bank every week

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Designated surfer

up13 wrote: »

+- 1 hour
    Early duty 6am-3mp
    Relief Duty 12-9pm
    Late duty 3pm-00

But it beats an office job hands down. After working sales in an office for years before starting DB I can hand on heart say I am so much happier driving. It's an easy life. And if you don't like the mad hours, request to stay on the 4 day and just do lates. Simples

No one should be put off by nay sayers. It's a top job

But it beats an office job hands down. After working sales in an office for years before starting DB I can hand on heart say I am so much happier driving. It's an easy life. And if you don't like the mad hours, request to stay on the 4 day and just do lates. Simples

No one should be put off by nay sayers. It's a top job

Its good to get input on what the worst bits are though.

I really dont know how I am going to manage those hours without proper notice to give a child minder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

liger wrote: »
    Ah stop.

You mean the handy shifts you never get because all the senior men get them ?

In 2 years i never once got a "handy" one.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Sisco14

I don't agree, I get good and bad duties, I doubt I'm the only new driver who gets a good mix of duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Senior driver are marked in and have their route. Many times I've gone in at 6am to be stand by cover, have a cuppa tea, watch sky sports news. Go home.

There is plenty of good shifts that are there for spare drivers.

Also the airlinks are going to be marked in soon so that will be about a year worth of spare drivers moved along.

If 24hours comes in that will help.

Yeah the shifts are hard to work around when your looking to organise your life but try it. See what you can do and don't be afraid to speak to your manager if you are struggling. They will help as much as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

If you're working day falls on a bank holiday you won't get to reep the rewards of the extra pay because you get shafted, senior driver will get you're duty and you stay at home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Sisco14 wrote: »
    I don't agree, I get good and bad duties, I doubt I'm the only new driver who gets a good mix of duties.

Its not about if you agree or not. The fact is in 2 years i never got a handy one.

The senior man is looked after on bank holidays too etc when theres extra money in it for them and when your supposed to be working there's no work for you because of this and you dont get the extra pay.

Its a joke trying to introduce new people into a company by shafting them , along with lesser pay too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Vtwin duke

Just curious, why is this shift policy for spare drivers still in place?

It seems completely stupid/ outdated to me .
    Times have moved on from the 60,s or whenever it was implemented...

Advertisement