Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

If you're working day falls on a bank holiday you won't get to reep the rewards of the extra pay because you get shafted, senior driver will get you're duty and you stay at home

You stay at home and get paid.

Vtwin duke wrote: »
    Just curious, why is this shift policy for spare drivers still in place?

It seems completely stupid/ outdated to me .
    Times have moved on from the 60,s or whenever it was implemented...

It's still there because 85% of the union reps are marked in senior drivers. They are protecting what they have for themselves.

Despite spare drivers pushing them and having the work time act in their favour siptu and Nbru won't force the company into compliance.

The company won't change it on there on so it's never pushed .

All you will here is that they are looking into giving spare drivers 3 days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Sisco14

Its not about if you agree or not. The fact is in 2 years i never got a handy one.

The senior man is looked after on bank holidays too etc when theres extra money in it for them and when your supposed to be working there's no work for you because of this and you dont get the extra pay.

Its a joke trying to introduce new people into a company by shafting them , along with lesser pay too.
    I really find it hard to believe in 2 years you have never got even one good duty? Did you never get an early workout?
    If you are so pissed off with the hours and the way the company works why don't you leave? I agree it's not ideal but I knew this was the way it was going to be, like any company the longer you are with the more benefits you will get, why should a new driver get better duties over someone who has been with the company for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lola7301

Can someone clarify what happens if you go into work as a spare and no one rings in sick. Are you sent home after an hour and do you get paid for this shift? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Usually, they hang onto you for a few hours, send you on a break for an hour, then maybe do a trip after your break, but it also happens where you would get nothing at all and you just sit in the canteen watching Sky Sports for the day.

The rule is they can't keep you longer than 7 hours 40, but quite often you are sent home earlier

Usually there will be a few of you spare so you won't be sitting there on your own so you won't be completely bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Sisco14 wrote: »
    I really find it hard to believe in 2 years you have never got even one good duty? Did you never get an early workout?
    If you are so pissed off with the hours and the way the company works why don't you leave? I agree it's not ideal but I knew this was the way it was going to be, like any company the longer you are with the more benefits you will get, why should a new driver get better duties over someone who has been with the company for years.

I don't work there anymore.

Why should people be paid differently for the same job ? Why are the new drivers getting less benifits than the older drivers aswell as worse duties.

It's nothing short of discrimination, and this is the year 2016 ? Not in Dublin bus its not.

But hey, enjoy your one weekend off every 5 weeks or something silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Sisco14

Why should people be paid differently for the same job ? Why are the new drivers getting less benifits than the older drivers aswell as worse duties.

It's nothing short of discrimination, and this is the year 2016 ? Not in Dublin bus its not.

I think people who have 10 years experience and loyalty to a company should get more wages and benefits, if I'm still working in DB that time I would expect that, and if someone just starts and gets paid the same with equal duties I wouldn't be impressed.
    I have worked weekends all my life so it doesn't bother me, I prefer the weekends, I find it easier with traffic and passenger numbers, but it's not for everyone, it's a pity it didn't work out for you,good luck in the future.

Usually, they hang onto you for a few hours, send you on a break for an hour, then maybe do a trip after your break, but it also happens where you would get nothing at all and you just sit in the canteen watching Sky Sports for the day.

The rule is they can't keep you longer than 7 hours 40, but quite often you are sent home earlier

Usually there will be a few of you spare so you won't be sitting there on your own so you won't be completely bored.

If they don't send you on an official break you can only be kept for 5hrs 30. When you take into consideration that most trips will take about 70mins they only usually hold a spare driver for about 4 hours. Most of the time they will know early on if they will need to use you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Vtwin duke

liger wrote: »
    It's still there because 85% of the union reps are marked in senior drivers. They are protecting what they have for themselves.

Despite spare drivers pushing them and having the work time act in their favour siptu and Nbru won't force the company into compliance.

The company won't change it on there on so it's never pushed .

All you will here is that they are looking into giving spare drivers 3 days notice.

Ah ok, I get it , thanks...
    Suppose if you are a senior driver you would have a different view on things..
    Thats not to say its still rediculous the 24 hour notice..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

KS&L's bolded part is perhaps the most relevant here.

The points made in respect of employment T's & C's are far from specific to Bus Atha Cliath,and a quick trawl of employments across the Irish Labour spectrum will show how,new or modified Terms and conditions of Employment,operate as the norm rather than the exception.

(it's also worth noting that Terms & Conditions of existing employees,can and often are,renegotiated upwards OR downwards,something which has occured within the CIE group in the past,and cannot be ruled out in the future)

It's not the end of the World,and at the end of the day,no applicant is under any duress to sign up for those T's & C'c if they find them oppressive or otherwise unacceptable.

As far as I recall from past exchanges KS&L came into Dublin Bus from a coaching background,with perhaps a set of different conceptions as to the nature of the BAC job.

It did not take very long before KS&L found that the BAC job was not to his liking,something which he posted on quite a few times.

However,as I debated with him on a few occasions,his decision to resign and seek work more suitable to HIM, was without doubt the best FOR HIM,and one which I would recommend to anybody,in ANY job which they found to be effecting them negatively.

Far too many people remain clinging on in jobs they actively detest,sometimes due to fear of the unknown,sometimes due to being unwilling to admit a miscalculation and at times,simply to act as a lightening rod for negativity which they then disseminate throughout their location.

Bus Atha Cliath is not the only Driving job out there,it's structure and it's demands upon the time of an employee,will not suit a great many,HOWEVER,there are many,for whom it provides a degree of security,satisfaction and enjoyment,in addition to a weeks wages paid on time,which,for those people is an acceptable trade off.

Where myself and KS&L differ,is in the requirement to do-down,almost berate people who are going through the application process,or who have actually joined the Company.

These people,all adults and with individual freedoms, are not seeking to challenge KS&L's way of life,and should therefore be allowed to use their own senses to determine whether driving with Bus Atha Cliath is for them.

The applicants,if successful,recieve a Job OFFER,not a threat or inducement to enter something which is threatening to their personal wellbeing.

By all means read and consider carefully,the documents which are sent to the successful applicants,but then MAKE YOUR OWN MIND UP,rather than be swayed by the most vocal or insistent,on either side of,what should never have become an issue.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

Ah ok, I get it , thanks...
    Suppose if you are a senior driver you would have a different view on things..
    Thats not to say its still rediculous the 24 hour notice..

The 24 Hour Notice of individual duty is for sure a major inconvienence for may.

However,it has to be borne in mind that the imposition of the E.U. Working Time Directive upon "Mobile Workers" made it far more difficult for Shift Workers to to swap,or avail of mutually agreeable modification with like-minded colleagues.

This lack of flexibility,is one of the major and regressive drawbacks of the Working Time Directive,which reflects,I suspect,the reality of the legislation being drawn up and implemented by a 9 to 5,Office Based administrator rather than somebody with any comprehension of the reality of Shift Working.

There are,in the recent past,some initiatives which are proving benefical,such as "Blocks" of duties allocated to specific spare staff,which appear to be working reasonably well.

However,the imminent introduction of a 48 Hour allocation window,is likely to be the most popular alteration in real terms.

The reality of shift-based large scale Public Transport operation in any location is one of apparent simplicity,which is rapidly proven to be the exact opposite.

Crewing some 920 vehicles across a 22 hour Operational day,364 days per anum,whilst also taking into account statutory,unplanned or last-minute absences,as well as other elements such as Training or Jury service,can soon be likened to splitting the atom in a blacksmiths forge.

However,as Sisco14 points out,there are upsides to shift working,but it's a very personal decision as to whether it can work for the Individual concerned.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Wolf219

Hi all, just reading the past few posts, I am a new driver with DB. Been here the past 2 months. I worked the first 4 weeks on the 4 day, which was grand and handy, had 3 days off midweek, unfortunately it didn't suit me as my wife worked 9-5 mon to fri. I asked to go onto the 5 day, which suits me a lot better, have a lot more time at home. It's great getting a long weekend off every 5 weeks. At the end of the day, the wages aren't bad, it's not hard work, you just have to think and access situations before you act. The company have been good to me so far and the staff and inspectors are there to help and advice you. You do get good and bad shifts, at the end of the day, when you start, remember you are only new, in the future when you have more service, you will be better looked after. There is good options with the 4 and 5 day rosters. If you don't like driving in traffic, don't like dealing with the public or don't like shift work, the job is not for you. On the other hand, if you enjoy driving, have good people skills, the job can be easy and rewarding. It's worth giving a shot in my opinion. Each day I learn something new, and each day is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

The only thing you are guaranteed as a spareman is a days work - but from my experience everyone seems to get a fair crack of the whip - although if you think they might be overlooking or shafting you, have a rep look over your duties, I think you've to average 37.5 hours over the 5 weeks.

A mate of mine works for a London bus operator, he was marked in on a roster after 8 months. In his depot if you're out of work sick for more than a few months you lose your place on the rota (something that doesn't happen in DB which is holding back many spare drivers!). That said, if the company looses the route, you are TUPE'd over to the winning operator. They also have proper staff toilets at each end of the route, adequate recovery time built into their schedules and monitored headway. Controller won't hesitate to stop you if you're catching the bus ahead of you, so poling is non-existant! Ticket machines are instantaneous, flat fares and no cash handled! NTA and DB should be looking at investing in the above, there's more to the TfL model than dual door buses and RTPI screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 bumpynut

Wolf219 wrote: »
    Hi all, just reading the past few posts, I am a new driver with DB. Been here the past 2 months. I worked the first 4 weeks on the 4 day, which was grand and handy, had 3 days off midweek, unfortunately it didn't suit me as my wife worked 9-5 mon to fri. I asked to go onto the 5 day, which suits me a lot better, have a lot more time at home. It's great getting a long weekend off every 5 weeks. At the end of the day, the wages aren't bad, it's not hard work, you just have to think and access situations before you act. The company have been good to me so far and the staff and inspectors are there to help and advice you. You do get good and bad shifts, at the end of the day, when you start, remember you are only new, in the future when you have more service, you will be better looked after. There is good options with the 4 and 5 day rosters. If you don't like driving in traffic, don't like dealing with the public or don't like shift work, the job is not for you. On the other hand, if you enjoy driving, have good people skills, the job can be easy and rewarding. It's worth giving a shot in my opinion. Each day I learn something new, and each day is different.

Can I ask you .do you get route training.whist in the training centre ..or is it done when your assigned to garage ..

Route training will be done when you get to your garage. Your will be trained on 3 routes first on the 4 day roster.

macroman wrote: »
    The only thing you are guaranteed as a spareman is a days work - but from my experience everyone seems to get a fair crack of the whip - although if you think they might be overlooking or shafting you, have a rep look over your duties, I think you've to average 37.5 hours over the 5 weeks.

A mate of mine works for a London bus operator, he was marked in on a roster after 8 months. In his depot if you're out of work sick for more than a few months you lose your place on the rota (something that doesn't happen in DB which is holding back many spare drivers!). That said, if the company looses the route, you are TUPE'd over to the winning operator. They also have proper staff toilets at each end of the route, adequate recovery time built into their schedules and monitored headway. Controller won't hesitate to stop you if you're catching the bus ahead of you, so poling is non-existant! Ticket machines are instantaneous, flat fares and no cash handled! NTA and DB should be looking at investing in the above, there's more to the TfL model than dual door buses and RTPI screens.

Flat-Fare.....Probably the single greatest item which could at-a-stroke solve most of the Dwell time issues which currently bedevil Dublin Bus operations.

The London Busdrivers Wayfarer has to record only a single actual fare,irrespective of destination or boarding point,and does not have to constantly move from,or revert to,Cash fare options as well as handling the communication from the Remote Reader....it's little wonder that our Buses spend so much time stationary !!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

bumpynut wrote: »
    Starting next week .and coming from being self employed and not knowing where I am from one week to next or if I'm getting a wage . worried about rent / rates ./ Revenue/ management fees / ESB / insurance ..etc ...I think I'll just about manage in DB ..can't wait to start .I've friends & family in DB .and I've heard mostly positive things

I reckon you will love it. I also came from self-employed into DB and I haven't worked a day since. It's a great job IMO and the very best of luck to you with it!

I reckon you will love it. I also came from self-employed into DB and I haven't worked a day since. It's a great job IMO and the very best of luck to you with it!

Really appreciate that thanks ..can't wait to get started .that self employed lark .would put years on you .

Good to hear that JAO.

Availing of support and encouragement from other recent entrants has to be regarded as an integral part of any new entrants probationary period.

It's not all about having to listen to advice from crusty oul "Marked-in Men",but rather about listening to what EVERYBODY tells you,then going away and taking the time to consider it yourself,before either binning it,or scribbling it down in your diary.

Latching on to any one single point-of-view,particularly negatively tinged,seemingly endless,self absorbed graphic accounts of how awful it all is,can leave a new entrant very exposed and diminished in self-confidence.

Take it all in,thank those who offer you the information...offer them a hankie if necessary,then excuse yourself,and do your own investigative work....that's what will allow you to move forward at your own pace,whilst your confidence and proficiency improves too.

Onwards & Upwards ;)

Starting next week .and coming from being self employed and not knowing where I am from one week to next or if I'm getting a wage . worried about rent / rates ./ Revenue/ management fees / ESB / insurance ..etc ...I think I'll just about manage in DB ..can't wait to start .I've friends & family in DB .and I've heard mostly positive things

How has your first week gone?

• Advertisement

How has your first week gone?

So far so good .out driving a lot and some class room stuff ..have to say all the staff in training centre are really nice .and very helpful .lovin it so far

So far so good .out driving a lot and some class room stuff ..have to say all the staff in training centre are really nice .and very helpful .lovin it so far

Great stuff..
    Hope it goes well for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just heard they are meant to be starting 5 new drivers a week or so

Just heard they are meant to be starting 5 new drivers a week or so

From Monday all the Bs are starting

• Registered Users Posts: 38 girlo1111

From Monday all the Bs are starting

Yeah heard 8 a week starting Monday 2 weeks

Was down in training school on cpc coarse the other day. The instructor said they are looking to take on 200 drivers from the B licences this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 girlo1111

Wolf219 wrote: »
    Was down in training school on cpc coarse the other day. The instructor said they are looking to take on 200 drivers from the B licences this year.

Wow that a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Lots of retirements coming up, a few drivers moving to IE and BE or leaving the company, there's also more drivers working the tours so I'd say half the new intake are just making up the shortfall in drivers. Can't get a holiday in the place at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 superman400

Lads can anyone give me an idea of the clothes you wore to the driving assessment/interview. Have mine coming up in 2 weeks and I'm not sure what exactly to wear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

Lads can anyone give me an idea of the clothes you wore to the driving assessment/interview. Have mine coming up in 2 weeks and I'm not sure what exactly to wear.

Smart casual should be fine.

Slacks, shirt, a tie, comfortable shoes. People sometimes go in with smart dress shoes and then it affects their driving.

Do not turn up in tracksuit, jeans or scruffy looking appearance.

You're trying to convince these people that you can be front line staff in their company. The face of the company.

Advertisement