Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dubkinrobby

they rang my refs yesterday,then rang today with a job offer

• Registered Users Posts: 43 kouffaley

they rang my refs yesterday,then rang today with a job offer
    Congratulations to both of you. wow thats good news...
    Is it after Garda vetting they call ref or they call ref before Garda vetting? i passed my medical 3 weeks now, but still did not hear from them. stil waiting and hoping for the best

I am happy for you guys

id imagine they ring refs after garda vetting and id say they will ring yours refs in the next few days,i know how u feel waiting for the call,maybe if u dont hear from them in the next day or two give them a ring,good luck kouffaley i hope it works out for u

id imagine they ring refs after garda vetting and id say they will ring yours refs in the next few days,i know how u feel waiting for the call,maybe if u dont hear from them in the next day or two give them a ring,good luck kouffaley i hope it works out for u

Thanks dubkinrobby, I ll give it till nxt week. if i dt hear from them i ll ring them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Has many got a letter saying they have not got the job, after the medical?

Seems like everyone who has passed the medical has got a start date..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Murrays1

Does anybody know if you can change the garage they give you when they call you with the offer? Can you change it when you get to the training school?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Starlight35

kouffaley wrote: »
    Congratulations to both of you. wow thats good news...
    Is it after Garda vetting they call ref or they call ref before Garda vetting? i passed my medical 3 weeks now, but still did not hear from them. stil waiting and hoping for the best

I am happy for you guys

Yes, I think it's Garda clearance first, then refs after that. I already had recent clearance from my previous job so maybe the process is quicker if you are already in their system?

Fingers crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Murrays1 wrote:
    Does anybody know if you can change the garage they give you when they call you with the offer? Can you change it when you get to the training school? Thanks:

they could very easily change their mind when you get to the training school. If you do end up in a garage that doesn't suit, you can put in a transfer to somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭085andym

Murrays1 wrote:
    Does anybody know if you can change the garage they give you when they call you with the offer? Can you change it when you get to the training school? Thanks:

I asked at the interview, they said they try accommodate as best they can with your preference but sometimes youre needed in another garage but after a while u can put in for a transfer but generally people don't because they end up settling in the garage they were assigned

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lola7301

What are the hours in the training centre? Is is Monday to Friday 9 - 5? Does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Murrays1

Lola7301 wrote: »
    What are the hours in the training centre? Is is Monday to Friday 9 - 5? Does anyone know?

8am -4pm in the training centre

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Hi Guys
    Anyone got called for a job this week? did my medical 3 weeks ago and still didnt hear from them. i dont know why it is taking so long mmmmhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Hi all a few quick questions.

I've been keeping an eye on the Dublin bus website for sometime and had been onto the hr department a few times as I knew they were meant to be recruiting soon.

Now at no time had anyone mentioned to me you needed to have passed the d licence theory test or stage 1 cpc which caught me off guard as I had been told Dublin bus done it all if you were taken on.

I haven't got either but can possibly get the theory test done this month and then see about cpc case study test.

I'm wondering do I lie about having them and wish for the best in the application or do I say haven't got them but have applied and hope they don't automatically rule me out?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dawid niedzwiadek

I've been keeping an eye on the Dublin bus website for sometime and had been onto the hr department a few times as I knew they were meant to be recruiting soon.

Now at no time had anyone mentioned to me you needed to have passed the d licence theory test or stage 1 cpc which caught me off guard as I had been told Dublin bus done it all if you were taken on.

I haven't got either but can possibly get the theory test done this month and then see about cpc case study test.

I'm wondering do I lie about having them and wish for the best in the application or do I say haven't got them but have applied and hope they don't automatically rule me out?

Thanks.

You'll need provisional driving licence cat D. and cpc case study when you'll do your aptitude test.
    Question is will you have it by this time?
    Between applying and aptitude test there's few weeks time.(4-6 weeks)
    It's your call take risk or play safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Thanks.

They can't train someone without them having a class D provisional so it should be pretty obvious you need to get those to proceed.

I wouldn't suggest you lie, being caught will be a pretty big indicator that you are an unsuitable candidate.

I had to wait a fair bit for a chance to do the cpc as all slots were booked for over a month. In hidsight, i wish a applied before I got the paperwork as i missed the boat for this year newstarts.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lola7301

Same here - though you have to take into account that even when you pass your theory and CPC tests and you take them along to get your learners permit, you still wait around another two weeks while this is processed to actually have the learners permit in your hand. Apply to do your theory/ CPC test asap and look at a few test centres as waiting times can vary in each.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 girlo1111

I am one of those thank god finally made it to the end of the long wait and believe me everyone it worth it its great job everyone should apply do your theory test and cpc and apply honest to god

• Advertisement

Jenod1111 wrote: »
    I am one of those thank god finally made it to the end of the long wait and believe me everyone it worth it its great job everyone should apply do your theory test and cpc and apply honest to god

Ah thats great, how do you find the training. I sometimes worry about learning the correct routes. The thought of taking a wrong turn or missing a turn with a bus load of people frightens the crap outta me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

All new drivers are sent out with a mentor for the first few days. You will only do 2 or 3 routes at first, until you are settled. Then you will be shown more routes with a mentor until you know all the routes in your garage.

I was in the training school this week doing the CPC course, and it seems that another class is starting next week too and for the first time ever, the school will be open over the Christmas period. 10 more learner buses and driving instructors are on the way too.

Quick question.

I am aware that newstarts will be on weekend duty, but is there any hassle if you need a certain weekend off, for a family occasion or the like?

Can they be booked off in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Quick question.

I am aware that newstarts will be on weekend duty, but is there any hassle if you need a certain weekend off, for a family occasion or the like?

Can they be booked off in advance?

Don't leave it until the last minute to look for time off. The best way to do it and so that you don't lose any money would be to change your rest -day and work the Tuesday or Wednesday instead. There'll be no problem if it's for something that's already arranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

I sometimes worry about learning the correct routes. The thought of taking a wrong turn or missing a turn with a bus load of people frightens the crap outta me.

The majority of drivers will do that at some point. Just stay calm. Apologise IF anyone notices, and the important thing is not to go blindly down a road you're not sure is suitable for a bus.

rx8 wrote: »
    Don't leave it until the last minute to look for time off. The best way to do it and so that you don't lose any money would be to change your rest -day and work the Tuesday or Wednesday instead. There'll be no problem if it's for something that's already arranged.
    Thanks for the info. I have never had this much time to consider if a job I right for me or not... After much consideration with the wife, i have got my heart set on it now. Which makes my current driving job difficult. .
    I passed my medical recently. So all I can do is wait.
    If one fails to proceed at this point. Is it a letter in a week or so? The waiting is driving me nuts..
    This thread has been very helpful . I thank the current DB drivers for letting us know what to expect..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I get some are excited and looking forward to it but some comments seem a little over the top.

Its in no way an easy job or best job out there.

It can be very challenging and stressful at times and as I've mentioned before dealing with the public is in no way easy.

Driving is difficult especially with all city works and one thing you need to remember its like being on a bike nobody sees you.

I get some are excited and looking forward to it but some comments seem a little over the top.

Its in no way an easy job or best job out there.

It can be very challenging and stressful at times and as I've mentioned before dealing with the public is in no way easy.

Driving is difficult especially with all city works and one thing you need to remember its like being on a bike nobody sees you.

I dont think anyone is going to realize how good or bad things are till they do it for real. My current job is quite uninspiring and I crave a bit of challenge. Along with a stable wage.
    Far away fields look green I guess..

It's depends what job you were doing before.iv drove trucks for the the last 20 years.the money is getting worse and the hours are getting longer.never get paid overtime when your out half the night.so for me Dublin bus is a good job and can't wait to start

• Advertisement

It's depends what job you were doing before.iv drove trucks for the the last 20 years.the money is getting worse and the hours are getting longer.never get paid overtime when your out half the night.so for me Dublin bus is a good job and can't wait to start

I am in a similar position. A delivery driver for 10 years with nice Christmas present of reduced hours from last week. Due to over staffing.

The high retention rate of CIE employees speaks volumes to me, and although it may be far from the best job in the world, the work is there for ya each day.

I did not ask about pensions, health care and perks during the interview .

What is the situation for new driver in that regard?

Advertisement