Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity what would comprise of good day and what would be a bad day

Good day is where you get a seldom decent duty and no hassle from passengers other road users.

Bad day could be hassle from any of the above or people jumping out in front of you to serial fallers or many many other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Good day is where you get a seldom decent duty and no hassle from passengers other road users.

Bad day could be hassle from any of the above or people jumping out in front of you to serial fallers or many many other issues.

Dealing with the public is always fickle, any retail or medical worker will identify with you on that one. Coping with traffic conditions are by in large the same for all professional drivers of large vehicles. Dealing with Cyclists and Pedestrians, well that always reminds me of the title of the Clint Eastwood film, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly! :D

Can you give some proper detail in regard of shift patterns, lengths of daily duties such as average hours worked during the week regular time/overtime, days off etc, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity what would comprise of good day and what would be a bad day

I'm supposed to be on an early shift but i'm a spare driver so I'm working till 9pm ( Bank holiday), I didn't want to work it but sure too many people have put in for the day off, I've not be selected. There is a full day of football on the box, I'll miss it, I won't check the scores, I'll watch it at home when i get in. Start working, the heat in the cab isn't working so its cold, I pull into a stop and some drunk guy steps on, exhales smoke and starts fishing for change in his pockets. €2 he declares as he drop 48cent into the coin box. When i tell him he hasn't put enough money in he looks disgusted, how much more??? 1.50 please,, ooookay...he throws in another 60 cent, darrr you go bud. Finally get the extra quid out of him and he takes to his seat cursing me for being a greedy ****. Little old lady at the stop looks at me and says, can I ask you a question? Of course I say trying to smile. She steps on and asks me to read the timetable she has for when the next bus will be because she just missed one, I tell her its an hour and she looks at me and says, Can you actually guarantee me it will operate??? What can i say, I don't know. So i tell her that its not a frequent bus so the company does its best to ensure it runs. Her reply, So you can't guarantee it... tfff. And off she goes. The rest of the journey is uneventful.

The trip back into town, I stop at traffic lights, looking around the local pub has the match on, I see the latest score, damn. its still cold but its break time so i'll get some hot food into me, I already have the footie ruined so I go to the staff canteen instead of paying city centre prices for food, The menu isn't great but I get some food and a cuppa tea.

Walking back for my second half there is nothing but junkies asking for changes and drunk people. I get on my bus, start my journey, its not busy, load at a stop, last passenger on, close the doors and start to pull into traffic, Bang, sounds like someone kicked the bus ( It happens a lot if people just miss the bus), look at the near side mirror and there is a body on the ground at the back wheel. **** did i just kill someone? Somehow the wheel hasn't crushed a guy who slipped of the path and he isn't hurt. He has no idea how close to death he was.

And then there are the bad days.

No the good days would be, ,,, too many staff on early duty, so I am standby spare, go in at 6am, wait to see if anybody rings in sick, nobody does so around 7.45 go into the depot canteen and have a cuppa tea and watch sky sports news. go home at 10.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

liger wrote: »
    I'm supposed to be on an early shift but i'm a spare driver so I'm working till 9pm ( Bank holiday), I didn't want to work it but sure too many people have put in for the day off, I've not be selected. There is a full day of football on the box, I'll miss it, I won't check the scores, I'll watch it at home when i get in. Start working, the heat in the cab isn't working so its cold, I pull into a stop and some drunk guy steps on, exhales smoke and starts fishing for change in his pockets. €2 he declares as he drop 48cent into the coin box. When i tell him he hasn't put enough money in he looks disgusted, how much more??? 1.50 please,, ooookay...he throws in another 60 cent, darrr you go bud. Finally get the extra quid out of him and he takes to his seat cursing me for being a greedy ****. Little old lady at the stop looks at me and says, can I ask you a question? Of course I say trying to smile. She steps on and asks me to read the timetable she has for when the next bus will be because she just missed one, I tell her its an hour and she looks at me and says, Can you actually guarantee me it will operate??? What can i say, I don't know. So i tell her that its not a frequent bus so the company does its best to ensure it runs. Her reply, So you can't guarantee it... tfff. And off she goes. The rest of the journey is uneventful.

The trip back into town, I stop at traffic lights, looking around the local pub has the match on, I see the latest score, damn. its still cold but its break time so i'll get some hot food into me, I already have the footie ruined so I go to the staff canteen instead of paying city centre prices for food, The menu isn't great but I get some food and a cuppa tea.

Walking back for my second half there is nothing but junkies asking for changes and drunk people. I get on my bus, start my journey, its not busy, load at a stop, last passenger on, close the doors and start to pull into traffic, Bang, sounds like someone kicked the bus ( It happens a lot if people just miss the bus), look at the near side mirror and there is a body on the ground at the back wheel. **** did i just kill someone? Somehow the wheel hasn't crushed a guy who slipped of the path and he isn't hurt. He has no idea how close to death he was.

And then there are the bad days.

No the good days would be, ,,, too many staff on early duty, so I am standby spare, go in at 6am, wait to see if anybody rings in sick, nobody does so around 7.45 go into the depot canteen and have a cuppa tea and watch sky sports news. go home at 10.30

It might be different for drivers but I have used public transport in Dublin mainly bus relatively frequently for roughly fifteen years maybe 2-3 times a week spread over the course the day. And its very rare I've had any trouble admittley most routes I use serve middle class mostly routes serving the South County Dublin area both local and cross city routes aswell as the oscassional Dart or Luas journey. Ive even had to use the 40 to get to Finglas a few times. And I have never had any trouble even the few times I've the bus late at night. I think a lot of the anti social behavior issues regarding public transport in this city are exaggerated. I've never come across stone throwing or syringes left on seats or maybe I just happen to be fortunate enough to live in good area.

However it does annoy to see bus driver getting abuse from other motorists and cyclists bus drivers are professional drivers and should be more respected.

I've had trouble small and big on all routes.

It is a good thing not every passenger is looking for trouble and other road users but this stuff happens and quite regular at that.

Look I've had guys say ah sure I'm in the job 30 years never saw something that happened or never had a crash if that is the case they don't leave the garage at all.

As I've said before it has great days your happy out but there are always going to be a certain few that are never happy and start for no reason.

• Advertisement

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Can you give some proper detail in regard of shift patterns, lengths of daily duties such as average hours worked during the week regular time/overtime, days off etc, thanks.

Perhaps some other DB Drivers might give me a real answer to what I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 girlo1111

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Perhaps some other DB Drivers might give me a real answer to what I asked.

You come in on a 4 day pattern which is thur to sun or friday to monday .. mainly 9 hour shift with one hour break over the four days then you can after 2 months be put onto the junior roster which will be 5 days over 7 ur 6th day is over time which is optional. I cant really comment on these hours as im only on 4 day roster but by looking at them shifts are not as long as they are when your on 4 day roster hope this is some help. Some days you could get anything up to 2 hour break really comes down to route and duty your on

Jenod1111 wrote: »
    You come in on a 4 day pattern which is thur to sun or friday to monday .. mainly 9 hour shift with one hour break over the four days then you can after 2 months be put onto the junior roster which will be 5 days over 7 ur 6th day is over time which is optional. I cant really comment on these hours as im only on 4 day roster but by looking at them shifts are not as long as they are when your on 4 day roster hope this is some help. Some days you could get anything up to 2 hour break really comes down to route and duty your on

Many thanks Jenod1111, very much appreciated. Sounds fairly decent alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭bigredone

a few pro tips from a seasoned DB driver.

1, don't bother counting the money put in the coin slot, just give them the ticked they request, speeds up things and removes stress/chance of argument.

2.If person at bus stop who is not getting on your bus asks a question give them the answer they want to hear. "when is the next 7 coming?
    it will be here in 4 minutes.
    Thanks driver"
    This action removes stress/chance of argument.

3. Take it easy driving, if your late your late no big deal, call control and they will regulate you. New drivers think this will get them in trouble, it will not. Removes stress.

4.Dont be afraid to swap duties, what dont suit you might be perfect for another driver, if you dont ask you wont know if a swap is going.

5. Dont get out of the cab. If a fight between passengers kicks off, let them at it, if someone is smoking just press the buttons of the overhead box to get the no smoking announcement. Do not get out of cab to be the hero under any circumstance. Just announce the cops have been called and 99% of the scum will flee. If they dont then get on to control and request the cops for real.

Just take it easy and dont get involved and you will be fine, if you have any questions ask and i will answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 steevem23

Hello guys Dec 2016 Dublin bus posted vacancies for Bus driver, any idea, when thats going to happen, thanks

• Advertisement

steevem23 wrote: »
    Hello guys Dec 2016 Dublin bus posted vacancies for Bus driver, any idea, when thats going to happen, thanks

Very slow process but is moving along.

Training centre running on overtime well what I mean running well after 4pm even after 6 pm so that's a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭085andym

bigredone wrote:
    1, don't bother counting the money put in the coin slot, just give them the ticked they request, speeds up things and removes stress/chance of argument.

Do they not check the amounts to see if you're up or down money?

Has anyone that done their medical near end of November heard anything back yet? I did mine the 29th of November, still haven't heard back yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lola7301

wonder what the hold up is. I'm in the same boat ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭bigredone

085andym wrote: »
    Do they not check the amounts to see if you're up or down money?

How many drivers are on each bus per day? 4/5/6

The cameras are not zoomed in on the coin slot.
    They only look at the cameras when a serious amount of money is missing, and for that you would have to be taking cash in hand or tampering with the safe, which the camera will show clearly.

Dont worry about it, someone ask for a E2 ticket and only drops in 1.80, give them the ticket. zero stress for you and away you go on your happy way.

After a while driving and you see all the dregs of society with a free travel pass you wont give a damn if a fare paying passenger is short with the fare.

bigredone wrote:
    How many drivers are on each bus per day? 4/5/6

bigredone wrote:
    The cameras are not zoomed in on the coin slot. They only look at the cameras when a serious amount of money is missing, and for that you would have to be taking cash in hand or tampering with the safe, which the camera will show clearly.

bigredone wrote:
    Dont worry about it, someone ask for a E2 ticket and only drops in 1.80, give them the ticket. zero stress for you and away you go on your happy way.

bigredone wrote:
    After a while driving and you see all the dregs of society with a free travel pass you wont give a damn if a fare paying passenger is short with the fare.

Wasn't sure how it worked wether it was emptied after each driver or just at the end of the day. In the job I'm in now I've been in some of the garages in the room where the coin is sorted and counted was wondering how it worked. I was thinking the same if someone drunk or something got on and put the incorrect change in I'd just give them the ticket to save the hassle. I like my day to go as smoothly as it can! Lol

Has anyone that done their medical near end of November heard anything back yet? I did mine the 29th of November, still haven't heard back yet...
    Does anyone know if there is a hold up in the training centre as I am like you- waiting to hear back. The waiting game at this stage is very hard....it would be nice just to have some sort of an idea of time frame...

Lola7301 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a hold up in the training centre as I am like you- waiting to hear back. The waiting game at this stage is very hard....it would be nice just to have some sort of an idea of time frame...

Its a slow process and classes are small.

Its a slow process and classes are small.

Do u know if u pass your medical are u definitely in or is it still hit or miss after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Junipers

Hi, does anyone know how long it normally takes from when DB advertises for drivers until they start to contact new applicants? I know that they're currently busy training drivers who applied in early 2016, but I'm just trying to get an idea how long I can expect to wait for a reply to an application submitted in the Dec 2016 round of recruitment.
    Thanks in advance,
    Junipers

• Advertisement

Junipers wrote:
    Hi, does anyone know how long it normally takes from when DB advertises for drivers until they start to contact new applicants? I know that they're currently busy training drivers who applied in early 2016, but I'm just trying to get an idea how long I can expect to wait for a reply to an application submitted in the Dec 2016 round of recruitment. Thanks in advance, Junipers

It was nearly 2 months by the time I heard back

Do u know if u pass your medical are u definitely in or is it still hit or miss after that?

it would be a long time be left waiting to be told you are not in. I wonder has this happened before - do you think they are still waiting on the vetting forms to come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Starlight35

Junipers wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know how long it normally takes from when DB advertises for drivers until they start to contact new applicants? I know that they're currently busy training drivers who applied in early 2016, but I'm just trying to get an idea how long I can expect to wait for a reply to an application submitted in the Dec 2016 round of recruitment.
    Thanks in advance,
    Junipers

I applied in March 2016 and was contacted two months later to sit a written assessment in May.

Lola7301 wrote:
    it would be a long time be left waiting to be told you are not in. I wonder has this happened before - do you think they are still waiting on the vetting forms to come back?

I can't imagine they'd send everyone for medical and then decide not to hire u after u pass that'd be a waste of money on their part. Maybe it is the vetting because the level of applications, I'm vetted very often in my current job so I don't know if that'd make any difference for my vetting

I applied in March 2016 and was contacted two months later to sit a written assessment in May.

Did u do medical or get start date yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Starlight35

Did u do medical or get start date yet?

I was called at the start of December to advise that I had passed the recruitment stage, but as I held a UK licence, it needed to be exchanged for an Irish one in order for me to get my start date.

I was called at the start of December to advise that I had passed the recruitment stage, but as I held a UK licence, it needed to be exchanged for an Irish one in order for me to get my start date.

And did you exchange your licence and get a start date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I would would think you are simply on a waiting list to get a spot in the training school.
    They invested quite a lot of money getting you this far.
    I cant see the harm in sending them a quick email to ask what the story is.

I would would think you are simply on a waiting list to get a spot in the training school.
    They invested quite a lot of money getting you this far.
    I cant see the harm in sending them a quick email to ask what the story is.
    That's what I am
    Hoping as there are people starting in training school next week so hopefully we are in next group. I emailed them already and was told I'd be contacted in due course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

That's what I am
    Hoping as there are people starting in training school next week so hopefully we are in next group. I emailed them already and was told I'd be contacted in due course!

The communication still lacks a bit. Shame as some people might have an offer elsewhere to consider.

Advertisement