Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

.anon. wrote: »
    As a short/medium-term option, they're not bad. Their training is very good and you can get onto a decent roster there very quickly. Also, after a year or two there, you're more or less guaranteed to be successful if you apply to Dublin Bus.

I'd be surprised if they weren't recruiting. If they aren't now, they almost certainly will be in the near future.

I predict harder times for goahead here.

Alot of drivers in GA seem to think they will win contracts based KPIs being met.

There is a new timing point system being rolled out in Dublin Bus that should see KPIs being met if not exceeded . And keeps buses ontime..

Now pay talks are giving indication of a substantial pay rise in Dublin bus (probably at the cost of T&C for drivers).

So Goahead will keep churning out driver training for CIE.

A revolving door for bus drivers is hardly sustainable for GA. Their ranks seem to be full of inexperienced drivers waiting for the first opportunity to leave right now.
    Imagine what will happen when the pay gap expands even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Alot of drivers in GA seem to think they will win contracts based KPIs being met.

There is a new timing point system being rolled out in Dublin Bus that should see KPIs being met if not exceeded . And keeps buses ontime..

Now pay talks are giving indication of a substantial pay rise in Dublin bus (probably at the cost of T&C for drivers).

A revolving door for bus drivers is hardly sustainable for GA. Their ranks seem to be full of inexperienced drivers waiting for the first opportunity to leave right now.

I'm still friendly with a lot of my ex Co workers in Dublin bus and I don't believe for a minute these timing points will be met by them well.

There will be plenty of resistance to obey them even though go ahead already are doing it on all routes. Too many Dublin bus drivers don't care anymore or are old school. I've heard it all already, the drivers will leave on time and drive on and they intend on using the excuse of too dangerous to park on the road etc.

Or they'll be leaving the terminus late and just cruising out causing to be late etc.

Personally I've no emotions towards either company either way, I walked away from Dublin bus, Bus Eireann and I refused several supervisor jobs from Go-ahead (all based on my back round and skill set).

But you would want to be blind to not see what's going on with the industry, you'd be a fool to believe that Dublin bus will be winning all the tenders and a fool to think that go-ahead will be gone in a few years because they won't. The writing is on the wall, the NTA will happily let Bus Eireann go to the wall altogether, they will happily downsize Dublin bus massively in favour of other operators.

That strike back in 2014 or 2015 over privatisation was a waste of time, they got the agreement of only tendering out 10% of current routes. When Bus connects kicks in that means every route will be a new route and every single one of them will be up for tender.

The NTA have a system, they will go through with it and the days if Dublin bus go out on strike over anything they'll be playing a very dangerous game.

Just on another point, I've been in ballymount and Naas talking with managers and I spoke with people I used to work with that went over from CIE and they have only good things to say about Go-ahead. A company where they are treated more like people, of course not perfect, nobody is but they say the are treated better now than before.

Like I say, I've no feelings for either company so it doesn't matter a blind bit to me, but I just get annoyed when I hear people being a bit naive saying they'll get this or that and are oblivious to the writing on the wall.

Anyway there's my 2c

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

To the best of knowledge from a few UK based bus pages I've seen that's the general jist of how most UK operators run with a high turnover of drivers who often move between bus companies. Are some of the GAI drivers brought over from the UK as I've heard a few with English accents.

There's a good few UK particularly London bus drivers that have started vlogging on Youtube in the last few years. I wonder would their experience be relevant to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I'm still friendly with a lot of my ex Co workers in Dublin bus and I don't believe for a minute these timing points will be met by them well.

There will be plenty of resistance to obey them even though go ahead already are doing it on all routes. Too many Dublin bus drivers don't care anymore or are old school. I've heard it all already, the drivers will leave on time and drive on and they intend on using the excuse of too dangerous to park on the road etc.

Or they'll be leaving the terminus late and just cruising out causing to be late etc.

Personally I've no emotions towards either company either way, I walked away from Dublin bus, Bus Eireann and I refused several supervisor jobs from Go-ahead (all based on my back round and skill set).

But you would want to be blind to not see what's going on with the industry, you'd be a fool to believe that Dublin bus will be winning all the tenders and a fool to think that go-ahead will be gone in a few years because they won't. The writing is on the wall, the NTA will happily let Bus Eireann go to the wall altogether, they will happily downsize Dublin bus massively in favour of other operators.

That strike back in 2014 or 2015 over privatisation was a waste of time, they got the agreement of only tendering out 10% of current routes. When Bus connects kicks in that means every route will be a new route and every single one of them will be up for tender.

The NTA have a system, they will go through with it and the days if Dublin bus go out on strike over anything they'll be playing a very dangerous game.

Just on another point, I've been in ballymount and Naas talking with managers and I spoke with people I used to work with that went over from CIE and they have only good things to say about Go-ahead. A company where they are treated more like people, of course not perfect, nobody is but they say the are treated better now than before.

Like I say, I've no feelings for either company so it doesn't matter a blind bit to me, but I just get annoyed when I hear people being a bit naive saying they'll get this or that and are oblivious to the writing on the wall.

Anyway there's my 2c

Hey. I think you are wrong here.
    The garages are being flooded with new drivers.

Spare drivers now outnumber marked in drivers ..
    Within that group of marked in drivers, most have enough sense to comply with the new rules. In fact the vast majority probably already spend most of the day ONTIME anyway.. Without even noticing.
    I also suspect , with the new pay talks, there will be new disciplinary procedures to deal with drivers not playing ball.
    There is literally no good reason to get so far up the field that you need a to go see the manager. Its so easy to drive at a slower rate.

Im sure there will be a few who dont get inline, like in any company, but I cant see them lasting too long behind the wheel if they go against the company (and everyone) . Possibly costing jobs and tenders.

I work for Dublin Bus and its old dinosaur ways are changing .. Just like all the old school jobs where seniority ruled. Guinness, Irishrail to Tesco. And proper order.

We are basically going to get more money to slow down.
    How many other places of work do that? Its a rare thing..

Dan I hope you're right, I personally think it's the way it should be run, but having worked there myself and still talking to all the other lads, I can't see it happen.

I've seen many a new driver go into the job with the "f,uck it" attitude before they even start working there.

But like I say, other parts of the world can do it, Go-ahead ireland can do it, there shouldn't be a reason Dublin bus can't. And for the Union to look for a pay rise for the privilege of running a bus correctly is unbelievable.

Tbh I just think it is such an outdated company at this stage that the NTA really is necessary to shake them up or shake them out if they don't comply.

I hear what you say about discipline procedures but I know they aren't very strict at all.
    I know of one driver that is a nutter behind the wheel and has been caught several times and on the phone several times, but he's still there, that's shocking if you ask me and that's why I can't see these drivers taking the time seriously

• Advertisement

Dan I hope you're right, I personally think it's the way it should be run, but having worked there myself and still talking to all the other lads, I can't see it happen.

I've seen many a new driver go into the job with the "f,uck it" attitude before they even start working there.

But like I say, other parts of the world can do it, Go-ahead ireland can do it, there shouldn't be a reason Dublin bus can't. And for the Union to look for a pay rise for the privilege of running a bus correctly is unbelievable.

Tbh I just think it is such an outdated company at this stage that the NTA really is necessary to shake them up or shake them out if they don't comply.

I hear what you say about discipline procedures but I know they aren't very strict at all.
    I know of one driver that is a nutter behind the wheel and has been caught several times and on the phone several times, but he's still there, that's shocking if you ask me and that's why I can't see these drivers taking the time seriously

What's this fcuk it attitude your talking about? I'm not having a go btw but I would think from an outsiders pov that a driver coming to work with the attitude of I will take the bus out of the yard go about working my duty as safely as possible and do my utmost to ensure it passes off without incident is the correct attitude for a driver to take.

The aim I would think would be to get through the day without getting into accident, verbal abuse or an assault. Why would drivers keep to schedule they are not required to keep to it doesn't make sense if the company don't care why should the drivers?

Also if the NTA do shake out DB the new company or companies that win the tenders for DB routes are still going to be dealing with the same drivers and same unions. So any new company that tenders for current DB routes will have the exact same problems that DB has as TUPE will take effect either that or the drivers will be offered favourable redundancy packages. The new rules will only effect new drivers who start once the new company takes over.

You talk about a driver who's a nutjob behind the wheel fair enough I don't doubt you but surely if he's a crap driver some day he's going to be found out and get into a serious accident? Or are you saying if he does get into a serious accident he won't be sacked? I'm not getting ideas btw lol.

GT89 wrote: »
    What's this fcuk it attitude your talking about? I'm not having a go btw but I would think from an outsiders pov that a driver coming to work with the attitude of I will take the bus out of the yard go about working my duty as safely as possible and do my utmost to ensure it passes off without incident is the correct attitude for a driver to take.

The aim I would think would be to get through the day without getting into accident, verbal abuse or an assault. Why would drivers keep to schedule they are not required to keep to it doesn't make sense if the company don't care why should the drivers?

Also if the NTA do shake out DB the new company or companies that win the tenders for DB routes are still going to be dealing with the same drivers and same unions. So any new company that tenders for current DB routes will have the exact same problems that DB has as TUPE will take effect either that or the drivers will be offered favourable redundancy packages. The new rules will only effect new drivers who start once the new company takes over.

You talk about a driver who's a nutjob behind the wheel fair enough I don't doubt you but surely if he's a crap driver some day he's going to be found out and get into a serious accident? Or are you saying if he does get into a serious accident he won't be sacked? I'm not getting ideas btw lol.

There was a post on here earlier on from another poster who confirmed it was happening, quoting another driver "if they want to play the game then he will too" as a result of leaving a terminus 15-20 mins late. Leaving late on purpose and taking an extra 5 mins to stretch the legs.

The attitude is there, I don't know where it spawns from but it does exist there more than people like to think.

Your wrong about the other companies taking over and dealing with same unions etc. Go-ahead ireland won't recognize the NBRU for example and although they do recognize Siptu I haven't heard of much going on with them in Go-ahead.

A union may or may not save you from being sacked but Dublin bus are too nice for their own good.

In regards to drivers I personally know, no he's not a bad driver, but he's a fecking formula 1 driver behind the wheel and has gone up in front of management without union rep and still gotten away with murder

There are other driver again I know of braking so hard ab old man went threw a window, the driver that split open a guy's head on dorset street with the mirror and another having an accident every couple of weeks. They never got sacked any of them and when you talk to these drivers about what happened they all have the "**** it" attitude and couldn't care what they did. Sure why would they care, it's not their bus.

Like I say, its a **** attitude and it is what's wrong with that company and it shouldn't be like that, like I say I'd like to see the NTA really shake up the place and come down hard on things like this if they want it to run correctly.

None of what I say is against any of the drivers here that do a good job like Midnight EG and others, I trust the likes of yourselfs to be good drivers and responsible unlike some clowns in the job

Personally I got an opinion on the job when I saw what was going on, going in as a young person myself I saw very quickly I would never be in line for promotions or the likes even if I meet the criteria because of the nepotism that goes on in there for jobs is unreal. From being the wrong gender to sleep with the right people for an office job and not going out with the HR managers daughter (or niece, can't remember) to get a promotion to the driver school and get handheld through the whole process.

For reasons like that I left, for reasons like that a good amount of people don't care about the job because they know they won't progress and they are happy with that, so they play games on the road etc. Again it's not nice but it's how it goes in there. And it's bad form when even an inspector says how it is too. But sure look......

Your wrong about the other companies taking over and dealing with same unions etc. Go-ahead ireland won't recognize the NBRU for example and although they do recognize Siptu I haven't heard of much going on with them in Go-ahead.

Yeah but if more services were to tendered out and DB staff had to transfer over to the new companies under TUPE. The same agreements would be still in place as TUPE means the new employer will have to recognise the same contracts and same agreements that were in place with Dublin Bus.

With Go-Ahead TUPE didn't apply because Go-Ahead Ireland is a completely new company so no pre existing terms and conditions were in place.

Yeah but if more services were to tendered out and DB staff had to transfer over to the new companies under TUPE. The same agreements would be still in place as TUPE means the new employer will have to recognise the same contracts and same agreements that were in place with Dublin Bus.

With Go-Ahead TUPE didn't apply because Go-Ahead Ireland is a completely new company so no pre existing terms and conditions were in place.

I don't know how you came up with that but no that's not true

Yes drivers did tupe over to go ahead already, and yes they did stick with their terms and conditions regarding pay etc

But just because they accepted the drivers with their conditions doesn't mean they have to accept their crap attitudes towards the job. Go ahead can sack a driver that went over from Dublin bus no problem if they get out of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Oy 12 months, then contract would change.

• Advertisement

Only 12 months, then contract would change.

I heard that rumor too but it's untrue and I can only guess a certain union started it either because they themselves misunderstood the agreement or used it as a scaremongering tactic.

If you Tupe over to Go-ahead, legally, they must obligate your terms and conditions for life. I.E. the rest of your working days in the company.

That can be confirmed with Go-ahead themselves and I'm sure it's in the documents.

I did quite a bit of talking with people already tuped over who are there well over a year now and they confirmed their terms and conditions are not changing. They can't be changed.

I heard that rumor too but it's untrue and I can only guess a certain union started it either because they themselves misunderstood the agreement or used it as a scaremongering tactic.

If you Tupe over to Go-ahead, legally, they must obligate your terms and conditions for life. I.E. the rest of your working days in the company.

That can be confirmed with Go-ahead themselves and I'm sure it's in the documents.

I did quite a bit of talking with people already tuped over who are there well over a year now and they confirmed their terms and conditions are not changing. They can't be changed.

Ok well I'm not up on it as haven't seen anyone that did move to ask....
    Just saying what was put our there, that's good so that that's the case.

Big changes supposedly ahead with the bus connects and set wage, no premium payments and the full working hours.

Ok well I'm not up on it as haven't seen anyone that did move to ask....
    Just saying what was put our there, that's good so that that's the case.

Big changes supposedly ahead with the bus connects and set wage, no premium payments and the full working hours.

Don't take me the wrong way at all lad, I'm not attacking you ! But I agree it is what was put out there and it was put out there like I say by the famous union either because they didn't understand themselves or tried to scare monger. But I mean no harm towards yourself !

Yes it will be big changes ahead, if you look at what happened with Bus Éireann some years ago with the set wage, no shift pay, no overtime etc. You are going to be down money no matter how you look at it.

One thing that got everyone after the deal was done was yes on paper it looked like a good deal but the tax man took more money meaning we were getting paid less after tax and there was no going back.

I believe Dublin bus were out to get rid of the workouts for a long time (I was never a fan of them tbh) so only a matter of time now it seems.

It's unfortunate they are pushing ahead with some things like that but like I say they will be under major pressure now with tendering of nearly all routes going forward so they have to try stay in the game.

Just as another reference, Kilkenny got a new PSO Service in the town and Bus Éireann were confident they would win it, with their depot's nearby and drivers nearby also but the NTA gave it to a small bus company from Galway who are now running it. So even if go-ahead don't get more routes in Dublin, somebody else will. The NTA are adamant by the looks of it.

Don't take me the wrong way at all lad, I'm not attacking you ! But I agree it is what was put out there and it was put out there like I say by the famous union either because they didn't understand themselves or tried to scare monger. But I mean no harm towards yourself !

Yes it will be big changes ahead, if you look at what happened with Bus Éireann some years ago with the set wage, no shift pay, no overtime etc. You are going to be down money no matter how you look at it.

One thing that got everyone after the deal was done was yes on paper it looked like a good deal but the tax man took more money meaning we were getting paid less after tax and there was no going back.

I believe Dublin bus were out to get rid of the workouts for a long time (I was never a fan of them tbh) so only a matter of time now it seems.

It's unfortunate they are pushing ahead with some things like that but like I say they will be under major pressure now with tendering of nearly all routes going forward so they have to try stay in the game.

Just as another reference, Kilkenny got a new PSO Service in the town and Bus Éireann were confident they would win it, with their depot's nearby and drivers nearby also but the NTA gave it to a small bus company from Galway who are now running it. So even if go-ahead don't get more routes in Dublin, somebody else will. The NTA are adamant by the looks of it.

No offense taken, appreciate the feedback or knowledge.....

I'd say what's coming is known higher up and obviously we can guess or comment on what we believe and with db now losing its colour scheme and branding it's a big change and makes it so much easier to take over as there will be no need to re spray the buses, it's now a fight for cie to keep their properties and lands but one only has to look at the past and see so much has been sold over the years.

Docklands, temple bar area, place on Amien st which was used for parking, UCD city campus etc etc etc...

I'm no good at the wage breakdown and tax and would love to see how much we will actually be hit as it's floating around it will be a set €48k to €52k is what I'm hearing, obviously tax, USC, prsi, pension and other deduction etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,697 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I'd say what's coming is known higher up and obviously we can guess or comment on what we believe and with db now losing its colour scheme and branding it's a big change and makes it so much easier to take over as there will be no need to re spray the buses, it's now a fight for cie to keep their properties and lands but one only has to look at the past and see so much has been sold over the years.

Docklands, temple bar area, place on Amien st which was used for parking, UCD city campus etc etc etc...

I'm no good at the wage breakdown and tax and would love to see how much we will actually be hit as it's floating around it will be a set €48k to €52k is what I'm hearing, obviously tax, USC, prsi, pension and other deduction etc

Consolidated pay is a good thing, there's too much dicking around by lads in the job for the likes of B/H's and O/T and Sunday pay is only an extra 200 a month or so, rather have 50 weekly than a lump and lose less in tax.

Yeah thats around the same figure as we were on buy when they changed everything around with new rotas etc it transpired we were down a lot of money.

There are weeks there I have old payslips on where I have overtime and all sorts on it, expenses and long 11 - 12 hour days and still coming out with less than 700 a week on top rate. Because the tax is different for some reason when the pay the flat rate.

It's a bad deal coming for the driver no matter how you word it up etc.

Consolidated pay is a good thing, there's too much dicking around by lads in the job for the likes of B/H's and O/T and Sunday pay is only an extra 200 a month or so, rather have 50 weekly than a lump and lose less in tax.

Yeah a lot of lads started using the self certs on Sunday for that reason too

Yeah a lot of lads started using the self certs on Sunday for that reason too

I can see them been taken like last time they got 3.

I don't know how you came up with that but no that's not true

Yes drivers did tupe over to go ahead already, and yes they did stick with their terms and conditions regarding pay etc

But just because they accepted the drivers with their conditions doesn't mean they have to accept their crap attitudes towards the job. Go ahead can sack a driver that went over from Dublin bus no problem if they get out of line.

Yeah but TUPE would also apply to other DB staff also such as inspectors and the like

Yeah but TUPE would also apply to other DB staff also such as inspectors and the like

I don't think so

As far as I remember Tupe only applied to drivers who were marked in on a route that was taken.

Inspectors are not assigned to routes, cleaning staff etc are general workers.

Even the guys that do the cash safes will be gone soon with everything going cashless so that *could" be a few people out of a job altogether.

There's a lot behind the scenes people don't see

But I'm sure somebody will try accommodate as many jobs as visable

• Advertisement

I don't think so

As far as I remember Tupe only applied to drivers who were marked in on a route that was taken.

Inspectors are not assigned to routes, cleaning staff etc are general workers.

Even the guys that do the cash safes will be gone soon with everything going cashless so that *could" be a few people out of a job altogether.

There's a lot behind the scenes people don't see

But I'm sure somebody will try accommodate as many jobs as visable

Well it would depend on how the NTA do the tenders. If for example they put out a tender for a company to operate all routes out of Ringsend depot for arguments sake then all Ringsend based drivers and other staff would likely have to transfer. There are staff on London buses who've been there since London Transport days.

Tupe would apply to all staff who are required to transfer it's a legal requirement. Go-Ahead is different as they were brought in as part of service expansion that meant no one in DB was required to transfer. If they start selling off DB depots and the like to private operators or the NTA then staff will more than likely have to transfer.

I'd imagine the de safers would be redeployed to other roles if buses go cashless just like when they got rid of conductors. I believe the last conductor was only gotten rid of around 2005.

Well it would depend on how the NTA do the tenders. If for example they put out a tender for a company to operate all routes out of Ringsend depot for arguments sake then all Ringsend based drivers and other staff would likely have to transfer. There are staff on London buses who've been there since London Transport days.

Tupe would apply to all staff who are required to transfer it's a legal requirement. Go-Ahead is different as they were brought in as part of service expansion that meant no one in DB was required to transfer. If they start selling off DB depots and the like to private operators or the NTA then staff will more than likely have to transfer.

I'd imagine the de safers would be redeployed to other roles if buses go cashless just like when they got rid of conductors. I believe the last conductor was only gotten rid of around 2005.

Well that's another problem because the NTA are not taking ownership of the current depot's yet because they are CIE property and also the go ahead depot's are leased. Plus the fact the contracts require you to obtain a premises so there's a lot in that to consider.

The de safers are generally people who used to drive but can't anymore either because medical reason or similar.

In regards to conductors you'd be wrong again, Dublin bus still pay conductors as do bus eireann.

I was was left speechless when I saw one in collecting his wages one day and another employee told me why. The conductors that refused to go driving were kept employed as conductors, but now they do nothing, just come in one day a week to collect the wages and disappear again.

Nice wage for not working right ? And yes there are a few of them still currently there across the company's.

Kick in the nuts when you're out there on shift putting up with scum and these guys literally get paid to do nothing

Another reason why the company is upside down in many regards

Well that's another problem because the NTA are not taking ownership of the current depot's yet because they are CIE property and also the go ahead depot's are leased. Plus the fact the contracts require you to obtain a premises so there's a lot in that to consider.

The de safers are generally people who used to drive but can't anymore either because medical reason or similar.

In regards to conductors you'd be wrong again, Dublin bus still pay conductors as do bus eireann.

I was was left speechless when I saw one in collecting his wages one day and another employee told me why. The conductors that refused to go driving were kept employed as conductors, but now they do nothing, just come in one day a week to collect the wages and disappear again.

Nice wage for not working right ? And yes there are a few of them still currently there across the company's.

Kick in the nuts when you're out there on shift putting up with scum and these guys literally get paid to do nothing

Another reason why the company is upside down in many regards

I'd say the nta will look to skirt around the issue and not take responsibility. Are these conductors not on some kind of long term sick leave or something like that, how come they haven't been redeployed I'm guessing they can't drive otherwise they'd be drivers and are unfit for any depot work.

I'd say the nta will look to skirt around the issue and not take responsibility. Are these conductors not on some kind of long term sick leave or something like that, how come they haven't been redeployed I'm guessing they can't drive otherwise they'd be drivers and are unfit for any depot work.

They were offered the full driving programme to get the license etc and they flat out refused to do it. They are not out sick.

There's only 3-5 of them left like that supposedly. Turn up each morning to 'clock in' as it is and go back home again and they're more than happy to do it. As utterly stupid as it is, a contract is a contract

• Registered Users Posts: 12 James901

Darrenv25 wrote: »
    Got my date for driving assessment and interview on 9th March for anyone wondering on a timeline done the online assessment early jan and submitted documents on 25th Jan got the email yesterday so around a 4week wait

Anyone else waiting for a date for interview/driving assessment? Been waiting 5 weeks now since submitting my documents

James901 wrote: »
    Anyone else waiting for a date for interview/driving assessment? Been waiting 5 weeks now since submitting my documents

The whole process takes a long time, relax and forget about it for now

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CloneeBohs

I've just completed the fifth week of training school, it's busy up there, driving assessments going on aswell as training new recruits. You'll get the call, just stay patient

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Focus30

CloneeBohs wrote: »
    I've just completed the fifth week of training school, it's busy up there, driving assessments going on aswell as training new recruits. You'll get the call, just stay patient

Partner just got a date for driving assessment and interview. Any tips for interview questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Kopite96

Hi I submitted cpc and learner permit around 6 months ago got confirmation email they will add to my file haven't heard anything since no online assessment or anything else anyone else have a similar experience ?? I know its slow with covid thanks.

Advertisement