Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 James901

Kopite96 wrote: »
    Hi I submitted cpc and learner permit around 6 months ago got confirmation email they will add to my file haven't heard anything since no online assessment or anything else anyone else have a similar experience ?? I know its slow with covid thanks.

I would follow up with them as that seems like a very long time to wait. I was a little over 2 months waiting on a reply from application to written assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kopite96

That's great James thanks have rang her left a message thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Focus30

Anyone know what the interview is like? Or the type of questions they ask? Is it like situational or competency based?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Focus30 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the interview is like? Or the type of questions they ask? Is it like situational or competency based?

Safety, safety and safety....

How would you deal with stress, stressful situation such as irate passengers or whatever....

Good English and able to write out a accident report and so on ...

Hobbies and what you do to wind down etc.

I see the professional bus drivers application has been closed today, supposed to be December 2021. Anyone know what’s happening? Presume they’re predicting not as many drivers will be needed now

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

James901 wrote: »
    I see the professional bus drivers application has been closed today, supposed to be December 2021. Anyone know what’s happening? Presume they’re predicting not as many drivers will be needed now

I saw that aswell could be trying to get through a backlog of applications

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

GT89 wrote: »
    I saw that aswell could be trying to get through a backlog of applications

I'd imagine this is it. Covid has probably made the job seem more attractive too. Steady reliable income and all that. I've 2 neighbours who were looking to jack in their existing jobs to join DB. Also heard of a good few in hospitality going trucking.

Yeah I thought maybe they had a lot of applications with the ability to do the CPC theory at home now. Maybe they are trying to clear the ones they have at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

New drivers over the last year will be in some shock when buses fill, traffic etc ....

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Orlando2019

Does anybody know if Dublin Bus has closed down the applications temporarily or for the foreseeable future?
    Asking on behalf of a friend currently gathering all the required bits and pieces...

• Advertisement

I was told in my interview a few weeks ago that recruitment is now on hold for the time being unfortunately. No further details were given

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 hunnt

I was told in my interview a few weeks ago that recruitment is now on hold for the time being unfortunately. No further details were given

according to a few friends i have in DB the chance of a strike at the end of the month is growing daily, that could be a reason the training center is not looking to recruit more at the moment

Any idea why they are possibly striking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

I'm a driver at DB and there has been no mention of a strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Yeah no mention of a strike here either?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭LastStop

Unions asking for 2000 per head for loss of route identity with bus connects and that's a bill of 7 mil across the city. Managment have told the unions to take a hike. Hence talk of a strike. And the ongoing pay deal isn't helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

LastStop wrote: »
    Unions asking for 2000 per head for loss of route identity with bus connects and that's a bill of 7 mil across the city. Managment have told the unions to take a hike. Hence talk of a strike. And the ongoing pay deal isn't helping.

What do you mean "loss of route identity"?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭LastStop

salonfire wrote: »
    What do you mean "loss of route identity"?

They used to drive the 29A.... Now they are expected to drive H1,H2 and H3 which means they won't drive just the H whatever covers the old 29a.

Playing a dangerous game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭rx8

They used to drive the 29A.... Now they are expected to drive H1,H2 and H3 which means they won't drive just the H whatever covers the old 29a.

That's not happening now. The company came up with separate schedules for H1 (29a) and H2 (31/32) ,so no drivers are losing their route identity or their marked-in status.
    This sets a precedent though for when Spine C comes to Ringsend in the Autumn.

The schedules were given to drivers earlier in the week and they basically picked out the duties that they would work, in order to ensure a smooth transition and no chance of any refusals or strikes on Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

What practical difference would that make to them? They still have to sit behind the same wheel on the same roads for whatever number of hours a day, regardless of the routes they're driving. Fair play to them for chancing their arm though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ferrarii

Hi everyone, been lurking here since starting the process last year. Finally got my medical for next week. Saw comments about saying as little as possible at the medical and them going over every single scar etc. I had skin cancer a few years ago (all clear now) so have lots of scars from that including one big one, just wondering would this be any issue? Will they be looking for medical reports or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

DB looking for drivers again

• Registered Users Posts: 3 snookergenius

Does anyone know what type of questions they ask at the interview?

What sort of questions did they ask you at the interview? And what was the driving assessment like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ferrarii

My driving assessment and interview was back in may, from what I can remember there was nothing out of the ordinary in the interview, job history from finishing school, questions about dealing with stress, customer service etc. The driving assessment was straightforward as well just a drive through Phibsboro/Cabra for about a half hour or so. Passed the medical so just waiting now for reference check.

I wish you all the best with the medical, let me know how you get on cheers

• hey all,

have the online assessment this week, I've just had a read through of the last few pages here to see what I'm up against.

Haven't had an interview in 22 years so trying to brush up some skills, or practice answering questions i think will come up.

I'd be abit on the heavy side, 16st 10 and around 5'11-6ft. if i was to get to medical what would be acceptable weight that they would say ok try lose abit more?

About the driving assessment, is it only done in cabra/phibsboro? i wouldn't be familiar with that road, is there any tricky area's to look out for?

Lastly, at what stage are you required to show your drivers report for points? after interview or after medical?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭rx8

The driving assessment is in a Nissan Leaf, and won't last more than 20-30 minutes. As with everything in the company, I would advise being honest and upfront with them from the start. They are not looking to shoot you down considering you got this far already.

• just done the assessment this morning, pretty sure i done well, i was nervous about the driving assessment after seeing on here someone failed it.

I guess I'll have to practice driving like i did on the day of my driving test for abit befor going in if i get selected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Orlando2019

Hi there ! asking this on behald of a friend ..

Is it any easier for women trying to get into Dublin bus with a b licence?

anyone has any recent experiences?

Advertisement