Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 overdar26

Hi folks I passed my driving assessment and had my interview (shirt and tie too) 😂😂 I’m. Very nervous to see if I get an email for a medical but fingers crossed… I’ll let you know if I get the call but thanks for everyone’s help on here … an absolute gold mine of info to out your mind at ease…

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Go Ahead is a good alternative, and also quite a good place to work. They seem to have huge staffing issues at the moment, and will probably have no choice but to bring pay scales closer to Dublin Bus levels in the future. There's a shortage of drivers right across the industry, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dublin Bus are forced to relax some of their medical rules in the future, especially with regard to manageable conditions like type 1 diabetes.

I enquired with them if they have issues with T1 diabetes(I'd rather not waste time again to be told the same thing) and they responded saying it shouldn't be an issue do i want an application and that the next new recruits will be starting in january.

I am still hopefull of having a second medical with DB, I sent in an appeal with a lot of reasons how it can be managed, their reasoning was if i had a hypo then i can't drive for 45 minutes after correcting it, it was unclear if she thought i would have one(no evidence to support i would in any reports and i drive 30-40 hours a week for work without issue) or if that was their stance on all T1 applicants.

I didn't think I'd be that bothered not getting the job but this is the first time diabetes ever stopped me doing anything so it is a little upsetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

I know of a few drivers who have been working for a long time with Type 2 but I also know of 4 or 5 who were either promoted or medically retired because of Type 1.

It really depends on the CMO at the time I think. I hope it works out for you.

yea its hard to tell if thats their stance on T1 or if it depends on the individual, a driver who is newly diagnosed would be a lot more likely to have hypos than someone on insulin with ten years experience.

I am thinking though if they did change their mind for me that they would be always checking in on me to make sure ive checked bloods every two hours etc, at the medical the doctor said he will put me down for a yearly review due to the condition and that was fair enough.

• Advertisement

I got my date for medical 👍👍 what kind of tests should I expect and is there anything I can do to prepare for them ???

be relaxed on the day or your blood pressure may be too high and you will need to get it tested....they ask loads and loads of questions.

they check bloods, blood pressure, heart, urine test and ask about any operations or medication you had.

There's a massive shortage of drivers at the moment. There's going to be lots of buses missing next week when the C-Spine starts. Rumours are circulating that Christmas leave will be cancelled in the garages concerned. There's at least 4 of the red Learner buses out this week training new staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KD51

Did they call you or email you a date for your medical?

Got a email !! Thanks everyone for your help so far hope it goes well🤞🤞🤞

• Advertisement

still no word back from DB regarding my appeal.

had a 15 min interview with go ahead this morning, rang me back at lunch offered me a start date in january and medical next week.....lets see if i fail at this one too 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Soule26

Hello Stephen

I just would like to ask you how gohead do they process is same as dublin bus? You have do online application or what? And I wish you good luck for the medical.

I

hello, nope it is completely different, i sent in the forms, they asked me could i do an teams meeting online, they asked basic questions why you want to be a bus driver what i know about their company,what it takes to be a bus driver. they then rang and offered me a start date but the medical is next week.

they mentioned on the phone they need alot off drivers and if i know of anyone to tell them to apply :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Soule26

Thank you Stephen I am looking to apply in January 2022

I’m waiting on the call after last weeks medical… doc declared me fit and healthy… is there a long wait does anyone know??? Would love to get it sorted before Xmas but hey here’s hoping…

May be the wrong place to ask but does anyone have any idea on Go Ahead salaries? was told its 12.60 p/h while training which takes 4-8 weeks depending on each person, then 15.25 p/h. Does it scale every year like DB?

What are the hours like for training?

I know I should of asked these during the interview but it was like a speed interview. Had a start date befor i could think back to the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I can't remember, but I think it's something like that. It goes up by a modest amount on each anniversary of your start date, and again every February (something like 2.5%). You get a daily subsistence of €10 on top of that. I've heard they get a monthly bonus now for punctuality, not taking any uncertified sick days, not crashing any buses or throwing passengers down the stairs, etc. After tax, you're likely to be taking home between €550 and €600 a week. They always have plenty of overtime opportunities too.

oh thats great to hear, thanks for that info, i read a few bad reviews about pay and stuff but had to take them with a pinch of salt,

haha surely throwing passengers down the stairs should be pretty high up on the not to do list 😄.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭EIDW

Hello people i am looking to become a bus driver with DB as my preference i already have my learner permit just a few of questions i have if anyone can help.

1 what is the case study like

2 i have high blood pressure but am on medication so blood pressure is fine now

3 i have Dysgraphia which causes a handwriting issue

Would the been on blood pressure medication or the hand writing issue class me as unfit? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KD51

• Advertisement

Still waiting!! I’m kinda thinking new year for the call but if I hear nothing by the first weeks End I’ll email them to make sure I’m still in their “to do list” 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 35 stevvieo

So after applying for Dublin Bus early August, I went through the whole process right up to the interview and driving assessment the end of October. Driving was 100%, the interview wasn't good in my eyes. I had a previous job in the airport and they asked so many friggin questions about it that we totally got away from the interview. It was weird. I preached safety and was told to keep an eye on my emails and told me where the medical will be and how it is. Not gonna lie, from the way they were talking I was almost convinced I had the job. So over 2 months now waiting for the medical email and I finally get an email yesterday to say due to the interview I will not be offered a job basically 😯

Obviously it was me, they clearly know what they're looking for. Its probably the only interview I done were I didn't get the job. . .

I've already got the Go Ahead application form printed out 😅

Dublin Bus may be a great company, but they love wasting your time

I got the call.. start date end of jan.. really looking forward to it thanks for all the help folks great thread…. Any idea on what to expect when it comes to training and first day???

First day will be orientation,Safety awareness around the training centre, then straight into the big red bus and down O'Connell Street for the Uniform pick-up. ;)

You'll be grand.... The aim of the training school staff is to get you to a stage that you'll fly through the driving test. If you don't pass the 1st time then because they have invested so much in you, ... you'll get to try it again. Most drivers pass 1st time, because, honestly, the training is so good that it's hard to not pass the test. You'll also become very familiar with the canteen in Broadstone, as they feed you too, as well as pay you a weekly wage.

You'll meet some great and probably lifelong new friends in there, who are all just as nervous as you will be. Don't be too stressed over it. It's way better and more intense than most of us got when we started.

i feel you man, i was lead to believe i passed the medical once i passed the blood pressure 24hour test, heitetally said dont worry im happy with your diabetes management just need a BP report....that was fine and then a month later he rang and said they wont pass me fit due to T1 diabetes, they told me to appeal, i appealed and have heard nothing back its shocking.

i got through go ahead very fast got a start date for this month but decided against it as my current job gave me a whopper raise to stay so i decided to take that offer.

best of luck if you go to GAI

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Albatrosss

How long was it between completing the driving test and interview untill you got the date for the medical? Thanks.

I had my drivers assessment/interview at start of November and medical just at the end of November 2-3 week gap… can you tell me the length of time the training day is ???really looking forward to it all now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

Usually in the training centre for 7.30am finish at 4pm. Usually still drinking tea by 8am and on your way home by 3.30.

Thsnks last stop what does a typical day look like??? Are you driving all day or are you mixing it with class learning???

• Advertisement

got called back in for a second medical after my appeal. not sure what different they can test as I'm still T1 diabetic

Advertisement