Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

Usually two trainees with an instructor on the red bus. Trainee 1 driver for 30 to 45 mins. Trainee 2 than swaps and drives for 30 to 45 mins. Tea break, repeat. lunch break, repeat, home. Do that for 3 to four weeks. pass your test, then classroom work for a week or two. Then off to your depot where you'll be assigned a mentor and do route training.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 UTV1980

How's things Folks. New to boards I am. I applied for Dublin Bus back in early November, passed the driving assessment and the interview. Got a call for the medical then towards the end of December. One of my references called me back early January to let me know that DB had been in touch them, but things seem to have gone very quiet since, haven't heard anything back as of yet. I did send an email to see if they needed anything else, or if there was an update. Its a pity there's no communication after going through the whole process tbh. Hope to hear something though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 overdar26

Great news bud, keep us informed!! 👍👍👍👍

Do you think that's an unusually long time to wait buddy, I'd have thought they wouldn't get in contact with my reference if they didn't want to offer the job. Hopefully hear something back.

Did you get a response to your email?? It’s a slow process but sit tight it’ll happen 👍👍👍

• Advertisement

No, didn't get a response from the email etc. I was asking someone who just got in and he said it's slow as hell. I have been through the whole process so far, even to the point that a reference was called. So maybe its just a waiting game after that.

Got a response back there. I didn't get the position unfortunately. Is there a way of replying after a certain amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 me2140

Sorry to hear that , did you apply on a B or D license

• Advertisement

Did you try GoAhead there going mad looking for drivers

sorry to hear that bud but go ahead is looking so don’t give up pal👍👍

Strange that, if they aren't happy with the interview, they normally don't send you for medical, if there is a problem with the medical they usually tell you. So did one of your references say something against you?

Anyone know how they let you know if you have the job or not , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dubpeter

Here's the timelines I had for anyone enquiring. Third week November driving assessment and interview. Second week December medical. 3rd week December I had to show more medical documents from my GP. Heard nothing after leaving them in. Phone call 3rd week jan with offer. Starting in 3 weeks. This is my second time applying after failing the medical 3 years ago (partly my own fault because I was told to follow up with documents and I didn't at the time). This time I seen it through, as painful as it was having to go to my own gp twice looking for information. Best of luck to anyone applying g. This is a great thread for information.

Thanks

met with the CMO today for medical 2.0, she agreed that i am fit to drive but will highlight the issues with diabetes so its down to HR now!

In terms of the test lads snd ladies what is it like on the day??? I’ve been driving a few days now and I’m getting the feel for the bus but what can I expect on test day??? Any hints, tips or knowledge you can throw my way please??? 👍👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

They want to see your head on a swivel.... mirrors, blind-spots. Scanning and Observing everything around you.

If in doubt... Indicate !

Thanks rx8 what are the test instructors like??? Are they ex db?? Like I said im getting the feel of the bus now and gaining confidence with everyday … in terms of turns.. what’s the best way to take a tight turn say left??? Are there any hints you could give me to be best placed to tackle these please…

• Advertisement

The test instructors are RSA, not Dublin Bus.

Driving is all about forward planning,while being ready for all eventualities. Taking a tight left turn properly is all about the lead up to it.

Taking ownership of the junction and having the correct road position. If you are too close to the left, the near side wheels will go up on the kerb. If you are too far out, cars will try to get up your inside. Bikes will always do that anyway so slow and steady around the corner is the safest way. Don't forget that you may have a tail-swing, so keep a beady eye there too.

By the time you are ready for the test, you will have so much practice that it will be 2nd nature to you. The instructors are excellent up there and will help you with any issues or fears you may have.

They are indeed👏👏 only 4 days on the road and had a few mistakes but generally doing well and gaining more confidence the more I drive.. I’ll keep you posted about the test and here’s hoping to seeing you around the depots!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I'm just a card driver but found this video interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcJqVEi1KGU I think, all drivers, pedestrians and cyclists should a bit of the bus/lorry drivers' work. It would help to prevent so many accidents in the cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Hi all someone I know applied about 6 months ago and was unsuccessful. I know your supposed to wait a year after applying but do you reckon they could apply again sooner given their circumstances as they were recently laid off from a job and are looking to find work. Thanks.

Honestly, Even though they are short staffed and looking to hire hundreds for the launch of the next two bus connects launches, They appear very inflexible when it comes to things like reapplying time. 12 months to reapply, I'd be shocked if they accepted your application before then.

Passed my test👍👍👍🥳🥳 got conygham road as my garage delighted… any ideas what the nursery routes are folks???

Well done. Congrats.

The Nursery routes in Conyngham Road are 13 and 40. My cousin, Keith,is a driver mentor there. You might be out with him even.

Thanks pal happy days will look out for him.. can’t wait to get on the road now 🚌🚌

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Yoozername.

It’s not a job I’d ever do or could do. It’s a tough job.

Drivers get abuse from the public. You need eyes all around your head, clowns jaywalking, e scooters. Idiots parked in bus lane and bus stops.

Bus drivers deserve the utmost respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Congrats bud. May I ask was Conygham Road your preference?

Advertisement