Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

chaz123 wrote: »
    my issue was that my driving history accident free meant nothing to db it all came down to that one hour keeping it all together a bit like a driving test everybody will be a bit nervous when they are been watched. db seem to have their process in reverse if it were me i would interview first get to know the person their work ethic and driving experience and then take them on the road more than once to access them properly.

Tbh if you can drive properly you only need one go at it, you can't go back and redo stuff when you would be out working and you would have people watching you everyday every move. Work ethic and driving experience are important but your ability to perform under a little pressure tells them more.

PeteK* wrote: »
    They say you can not have endorsements on your licence but in the list of what you need, they ask you to tell you what endorsements you have.

Is that not contradicting itself? You can't apply if you don't have a clean licence.. but if you do, tell them what the endorsements are so they can just confirm you're not able to be considering for the position. :S

What exactly are endorsements?
    Are the driving bans?
    Points, too?

So they should just presume no one that applied ignored the rule on endorsements and they all have no endorsements ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 chaz123

cdebru wrote: »
    Tbh if you can drive properly you only need one go at it, you can't go back and redo stuff when you would be out working and you would have people watching you everyday every move. Work ethic and driving experience are important but your ability to perform under a little pressure tells them more.

if you don't mind i am entitled to express my opinion without your condescending smug attitude are you a spokes person for db? i can drive properly and have never seen a accident report in my life can you say the same.high moral ground bulls**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

How are the new recruits finding working for Dublin Bus? Are ye settled in yet? Have ye had any problems?

if you don't mind i am entitled to express my opinion without your condescending smug attitude are you a spokes person for db? i can drive properly and have never seen a accident report in my life can you say the same.high moral ground bulls**t.

I believe you think you can drive well but the proof is in the pudding, you had a chance to show your driving skills but you failed to shine enough said. It is nonsense to suggest they should ignore the evidence they see with their own eyes in favor of your opinion of your driving skills.
    Now I don't know what your experience is but city bus, stop start, standing passengers, constant traffic, etc etc is a different skill to long distance coach or truck driving, so you may be a fine truck driver, or coach driver but that's not what they are looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 chaz123

Finally, you got it a different skill and how do you acquire a different skill?{you get training} my point all along you train drivers for Dublin city stop start driving like you and the senior drivers got when db used to train drivers.if i took you out in the morning in an articulated truck to deliver up lane ways in Dublin city would you shine or would you need some training? Anyway i have moved on to a private company who appreciate drivers with a clean driving record who wont put their insurance through the roof.

Finally, you got it a different skill and how do you acquire a different skill?{you get training} my point all along you train drivers for Dublin city stop start driving like you and the senior drivers got when db used to train drivers.if i took you out in the morning in an articulated truck to deliver up lane ways in Dublin city would you shine or would you need some training? Anyway i have moved on to a private company who appreciate drivers with a clean driving record who wont put their insurance through the roof.

What you don't get is they don't want to train people that is why they are seeking people with the license and the CPC. They want people who can do the job with the minimal effort from the company to get them up to standard. If they were going the training route they could have opened the job up to much more people.

For what its worth I think it was a short sighted attempt to save money that actually cost them more money because it took much longer to fill positions and left them short staffed and paying more overtime than necessary. Simple fact is that there are not enough trained drivers with adequate driving skills ready to fill positions, DB management obviously thought the any old monkey could do it nonsense often spouted was true, hardly surprising given most of them have never driven anything other than the company paid for car.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

How are the new recruits finding working for Dublin Bus? Are ye settled in yet? Have ye had any problems?
    Nearly 4 months into the job and I'm settling in fine, took some adjusting having come from coach driving. The mentoring programme makes things 10x easier to adjust to - probably wouldn't have stuck the job if I had a bollix for a mentor :pac: I'm working 5 days most weeks, getting a mixture of reliefs and lates on rostered days and earlies and reliefs on rest days. I haven't gotten lost or crashed a bus yet which is a bonus :o

Was monitored recently, got a decent report so no P45 on the horizon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭frankyboy1986

im only just finished the mentoring ,we seem to be the last ones to have gotten through from the last recruitment campaign,So far its been a very positive experience,I havent gotten lost yet and I havent crashed either,I happened to get a great mentor who made things much easier.Im only in the garage and ive already done 2 rest days so there defo seems to be plenty of overtime available for those who want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

Anyone know how they're getting on filling the vacancies? It's something I wouldn't mind giving a bash however I lack the rather important d license and cpc.

Of course by the time i'd have those this will probably be all wrapped up again. So I suppose i'm just wondering do folks think they might recruit trainees again or is it going to be just current cat D license holders only for the foreseeable future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Contrails wrote: »
    Anyone know how they're getting on filling the vacancies? It's something I wouldn't mind giving a bash however I lack the rather important d license and cpc.

Of course by the time i'd have those this will probably be all wrapped up again. So I suppose i'm just wondering do folks think they might recruit trainees again or is it going to be just current cat D license holders only for the foreseeable future?

How long (on average) does it take to get the D licence if you applied tomorrow?

What is the final cost including lessons, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

HI guys can anybody tell me how i go about getting a D license got the rom today to start studying and discovered its only for bikes and cars ?

so i there a disc for the D theory test ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ie.wojtek

Hi.
    There is few steps you have to folllow.
    1. You have to have a full B licence
    2. You have to pass theory test (you can book it in on theorytest . ie
    I would advise you to book test now as you'll have to wait anyway
    3. Once you pass your test with positive result you have to go to your Motor Tax office and obtain Learner Permit.
    Having this allows you to start your practical (driving) education
    4. You have to next pass CPC test (2 of them; one is a multichoice test, the second one is a case studies - here you will get questions that are not available in any of the book)
    5.You have to pass practical and driving test. Driving takes up to about 70 minutes
    6. If you do all of the above you can go once again to your Motor Tax Office and obtain your D licence.

Now you are bus driver. However before you can get on the road you have to obtain Driver's Digital Card (it is valid for 5 years).

ie.wojtek wrote: »
    Hi.
    There is few steps you have to folllow.
    1. You have to have a full B licence
    2. You have to pass theory test (you can book it in on theorytest . ie
    I would advise you to book test now as you'll have to wait anyway
    3. Once you pass your test with positive result you have to go to your Motor Tax office and obtain Learner Permit.
    Having this allows you to start your practical (driving) education
    4. You have to next pass CPC test (2 of them; one is a multichoice test, the second one is a case studies - here you will get questions that are not available in any of the book)
    5.You have to pass practical and driving test. Driving takes up to about 70 minutes
    6. If you do all of the above you can go once again to your Motor Tax Office and obtain your D licence.

Now you are bus driver. However before you can get on the road you have to obtain Driver's Digital Card (it is valid for 5 years).

Thank you 👠that's excellent :-) one thing how do I practice for the theory test can I buy cd rom ? I have my b/ c1/c licence .

HI. yes. you can get it from online shop (quite cheap) or in Eason

Ah you're a star ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 ShroomCrusader

please yes ;D

thank you brah :D

ok!

ok!

any idea please? :-)

I am sorry. I cannot post www addresses because I am new user boards.ie says. ...

• Advertisement

I am sorry. I cannot post www addresses because I am new user boards.ie says. ...

its no problem . just don't add the www.
    so for example if its bing.com , see its still the link.

:)

osm.ie/online-shop-page.html

dttstore.prometric.com/product/PROD019.html

easons.com/p-1512161-driver-theory-test-6ed-fs.aspx

Lads you owe me ;)

Lads you owe me ;)

lol thank you but are you sure its just driver theory or etc ??

? ? ?? ??
    /

Yes for the first step you need that book (I am preparing myself for an exam. I have it on Monday)

Yes for the first step you need that book (I am preparing myself for an exam. I have it on Monday)

oh sorry I thought it was something else

k thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

The library have them if you don't want to pay for it

Good idea but it has to be 6th edition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Has anybody had to say yes to this question on the application form:
    Have you ever been involved in a traffic accident for which you were held responsible?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

anyone know if bus eireann are recruiting?

Advertisement